Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-07-2003, 10:07 PM
N. Thornton

Default Climbers for zone 8

Hi

I need some inspiration. I want to cover the walls of the garden in
climbers that will produce lots of fruit and look good too. I'm in
England, zone 8 IIRC, ie it only just freezes in winter.

I've got walls of all aspects to cover, S, E, W, N.

I know I want apples! But a good mix of things would be nice. I might
also try a fruiting akebia, but I've been told theyre really rampant,
so Im not sure.

I would like to try russian olive, elaeagnus angustifolia, but its
more bush than climber, so it might become an endless hassle to
maintain. I have that one and also elaeagnus ebbingei limelight - not
convinced either of them are suitable tho.

Thinking of possibly putting kiwi on the north wall, it will get some
direct sun once it gets about 6' high.

I is in need of inspiration - any welcome!

Regards, NT

[IBC] Moving to San Gabriel Mountains Outside LA from zone 6-7 NEW YORK CITY to zone 8-9 Ben Griffin Bonsai 7 05-07-2004 11:03 PM
Moving from zone 4 to zone 10b Laurie Gardening 28 29-02-2004 06:45 PM
Moving from zone 4 to zone 10b Laurie Gardening 0 28-02-2004 06:38 PM
climbers heidi Roses 3 30-03-2003 02:32 AM
Red & White Climbers climbing iceberg Radika Kesavan Roses 1 27-01-2003 10:09 AM