Old 28-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Mike Stevenson

Default why do my tomatoes lack flavor?

I'm having the exact same problem, and weather as Pat, tho I'm in West
Virginia. July has been terribly dry, and recently as she said the storms
have started. They had a tornado ALERT (as in actual tornado spotted) just
south of my where my mother lives. That scared the hell outta me since that
almost never happens here. I've been doing my best to keep my soil wet when
it stays dry too long. For awhile there I was watering daily. Now since the
storms started, they are sometimes drenching the ground, so I only water
after a few days of very hot weather (which we have had this week). This
week has been HOT, the day before yesterday it was 98, with heat index of
104. The hottest day so far this year. For awhile there we were starting to
think summer was over, since we had almost a straight week of low 80s and
nights as low as high 50s...

"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 05:29:39 -0500, (Pat
Kiewicz) wrote:

Choose the right varieties for your area and personal tastes, pump up the

and the micronutrients to ensure good flavor and then hope it doesn't

pour
down rain when the green tomatoes are putting on their growth and

particularly
when they are ripening.

It just did. (Northern PA here.)

After a month of total dryness - which followed the ENTIRE
SPRING OF CONSTANT RAIN. Help, I'm lost in this sentence!
takes deep breath and starts over

Anyway: after NO rain in July, the heavens opened and we've
had serious storms during the last week (even some tornadoes
were spotted locally). And tons of rain, more on the way.

I think I give up on this entire season...

Pat

Why ? Why ? Why? David Hill United Kingdom 15 29-08-2014 06:18 PM
Tomato flavor Higgs Boson Gardening 8 12-07-2012 05:14 PM
Fine Fescue flavor: K31 or creeping red fescue? ZoysiaSod Lawns 2 20-04-2012 07:40 PM
Cukes and melons - affect each other's flavor? laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 1 04-07-2003 09:32 PM
Lack of sugar pea blossoms? Repeating Decimal Edible Gardening 0 14-02-2003 07:51 PM