Old 26-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

Default Zucchini Problem

Well my zucchini have a gazillion blooms but I have had only one
zucchini so far! I have never had this happen before and have not
really had pollination problems before. But could this be the problem?
We are growing Raven F1 and Clarinette Lebanese. Honestly, i'd have had
more to eat from these plants if I had stir-fried the blossoms. The
plants look very helathy otherwise. Missouri Z 5b
Old 27-07-2003, 02:42 AM
simy1

Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote in message ...
Well my zucchini have a gazillion blooms but I have had only one
zucchini so far! I have never had this happen before and have not
really had pollination problems before. But could this be the problem?
We are growing Raven F1 and Clarinette Lebanese. Honestly, i'd have had
more to eat from these plants if I had stir-fried the blossoms. The
plants look very helathy otherwise. Missouri Z 5b

Many varieties make male flowers for 3 weeks before going into
production. Zucchini blossom omelette with steamed chard and new
potatoes on the side means July at my place.
Old 27-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Frankhartx

From: "Jane"

And just HOW does one sex a zucchini? Dare I guess, by peeking inside their
little bloomers?

Sure--one can assume that anyone exposed to elementrary biology can tell the
boys from the girls--of couse if you do not want to peer too close the female
has a tiny proto squash at the base of the flower stem

Old 27-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Jack1000

ell my zucchini have a gazillion blooms but I have had only one
zucchini so far! I have never had this happen before and have not
really had pollination problems before. But could this be the problem?

I had only male flowers for at least 3 weeks before I got any fruit. Now I have
so many zukes I don't have room in my fridge and my neighbors are getting to
hate me trying to palm them off.
What "I need" from you people are some zuccini recipes!

Jack
Old 27-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Pat Meadows

On 27 Jul 2003 14:04:41 GMT, (Jack1000)
wrote:

ell my zucchini have a gazillion blooms but I have had only one
zucchini so far! I have never had this happen before and have not
really had pollination problems before. But could this be the problem?

I had only male flowers for at least 3 weeks before I got any fruit. Now I have
so many zukes I don't have room in my fridge and my neighbors are getting to
hate me trying to palm them off.
What "I need" from you people are some zuccini recipes!

OK.

You can freeze zucchini, btw: don't bother to peel, just
shred it, then freeze it. Last year, I blanched some and
then didn't blanch some - and I think the unblanched was
actually better. So I wouldn't bother to blanch it.

You can use the thawed zucchini shreds (after squeezing out
most of the water or letting them drain in a colander) in
this recipe, or in zucchini bread, cake, or muffin recipes.

This recipe calls for one zucchini and one summer squash,
but you can obviously use two zucchinis instead. It won't
make much difference.

Pat

VEGGIE BURGERS WITH ZUCCHINI

2 cloves garlic (grated)
1 onion (grated)
2 carrots (shredded)
1 small zucchini (shredded)
1 small summer squash (shredded)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 beaten egg
1 tbs soy sauce (tamari is much better!)
1 1/2 cups flour

(note: this is the recipe as we found it and we immediately
modified it. To our taste it was better with lots more
onion. It held together better with two eggs.)

-Heat garlic and onion in olive oil over low heat for 5
minutes.
-Add squash, zucchini, and carrots and heat for 2 more
minutes.
-Remove from heat and add oats, cheese, and egg.
-Add soy sauce or tamari.
-Refrigerate for 1 hr.
-Dredge patties in flour. Broil or fry as usual. Or bake
them on an oiled cookie sheet.

Old 27-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Jane

Thank you very much for your response to my little joke. Alas, I missed
elementary biology, but I still think sexing zucchini's is funny. I'm going
out there right now to start pulling their underpants down.
Jane

Old 27-07-2003, 05:12 PM
Frankhartx

issed
elementary biology, but I still think sexing zucchini's is funny. I'm

The zukes don't think it's funny but it is fun,
Old 27-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Larry Blanchard

In article , simy1@my-
deja.com says...
We are growing Raven F1 and Clarinette Lebanese. Honestly, i'd have had
more to eat from these plants if I had stir-fried the blossoms. The
plants look very helathy otherwise. Missouri Z 5b

Many varieties make male flowers for 3 weeks before going into
production. Zucchini blossom omelette with steamed chard and new
potatoes on the side means July at my place.

Raven is the variety I'm having problems with too. But in my garden the
female flowers arrived weeks before the male, which are still in short
supply.

But the tips still appear to be being eaten by ants - I put out ant traps
and sprayed with Neem yesterday.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Old 27-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Jim Carter

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 04:25:01 GMT, "Jane" wrote in
rec.gardens.edible:

And just HOW does one sex a zucchini? Dare I guess, by peeking inside their
little bloomers?

Turn them upside down and shake them. If they rattle they are boys.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a
Old 27-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
"Jane" wrote:

And just HOW does one sex a zucchini? Dare I guess, by peeking inside their
little bloomers?

LOL. Apparently, the female has a swelling at the base of the flower.
Old 27-07-2003, 08:12 PM
Phaedrine Stonebridge

In article ,
Pat Meadows wrote:

You can use the thawed zucchini shreds (after squeezing out
most of the water or letting them drain in a colander) in
this recipe, or in zucchini bread, cake, or muffin recipes.

This recipe calls for one zucchini and one summer squash,
but you can obviously use two zucchinis instead. It won't
make much difference.

Pat

VEGGIE BURGERS WITH ZUCCHINI

Oh thanks for posting that! I can hardly wait to try it...... that is
if our courgettes decide to produce any female flowers.
Old 28-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:04:54 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge

VEGGIE BURGERS WITH ZUCCHINI

Oh thanks for posting that! I can hardly wait to try it...... that is
if our courgettes decide to produce any female flowers.

While not breathtakingly wonderful g, we both like it and
consider it an acceptable entree for a dinner or lunch.

We usually eat the burgers in a bun, with salsa, lettuce and
tomato.

Since you say 'courgettes', I think maybe you're in the UK?
In which case, I'd expect salsa to be hard to find. Maybe
some chutney would go nicely instead.

Pat