Old 27-07-2003, 01:02 AM
Simon Stenkle

Default soy beans

Anyone have experience growing soy beans at home? What is a good source of
information on producing soy-derivative products?

simon

Old 27-07-2003, 02:02 AM
Fudge

I grow several strains of edible soybeans in Eastern Ontario. These
varieties came from Salt Spring Seeds on Vancouver Island. Check their web
site for open pollinated seeds. I steam, shell and freeze them or eat them
as a Japanese style snack called Edame (Steam and add coarse salt.) They
have a nut like flavour. Industrial type soy beans are quite unpalatable but
I imagine you could find recipes for soy milk etc with a Google search. I
believe the production of tofu is quite complicated and beyond the scope of
the small farmer.

Farmer John

Old 27-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:39:35 -0400, "Fudge"
wrote:

I grow several strains of edible soybeans in Eastern Ontario. These
varieties came from Salt Spring Seeds on Vancouver Island. Check their web
site for open pollinated seeds. I steam, shell and freeze them or eat them
as a Japanese style snack called Edame (Steam and add coarse salt.) They
have a nut like flavour. Industrial type soy beans are quite unpalatable but
I imagine you could find recipes for soy milk etc with a Google search. I
believe the production of tofu is quite complicated and beyond the scope of
the small farmer.

Not at all. I've made tofu at home, many times. It's
really not complex at all, and no expensive equipment is
required.

A soy-milk maker (available to the home market for under
$100) would be a big help, though I never had one when I was
making tofu so they're certainly not required.

Anyone who is interested in making tofu would probably be
greatly helped by getting a copy of 'The Book of Tofu', by
William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi. Very clear and thorough
directions.

The same authors have another book entitled 'The Book of
Tempeh' - clear and thorough directions for making tempeh -
which is also easy and not complex, although a 'starter'
bacteria is required (similar to yogurt). The starters are
available online, and not costly.

Anyone attempting to *sell* home-made tofu and/or tempeh
would probably need inspection and approval by the relevant
Board of Health, just as in the case of selling any other
home-made foods.

Pat

Soy beans Janet Galpin United Kingdom 15 23-11-2005 06:54 PM
looking for soy beans Maja M.S. Edible Gardening 3 18-09-2003 11:18 PM
Soy Beans tippy1 Edible Gardening 7 16-09-2003 05:22 PM
RR Soy works better in rRomania than in USA Gordon Couger sci.agriculture 34 15-09-2003 11:09 PM
Paying to find non-GE wild corn? (Was: Soy blocked in NZ) Brian Sandle sci.agriculture 5 19-07-2003 04:52 AM