Old 22-11-2005, 02:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default Soy beans

I've grown a very small quantity of soy beans as part of an HDRA trial.
I gather though that some doubt has been cast on their healthiness when
eaten as beans (soaked, rapidly boiled etc) , as opposed to being
processed into tofu etc.
I wondered whether anyone had up-to-date information or an opinion on
this. Internet info is varied and confusing.
Janet G
Old 22-11-2005, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Janet Galpin wrote:

I've grown a very small quantity of soy beans as part of an HDRA trial.
I gather though that some doubt has been cast on their healthiness when
eaten as beans (soaked, rapidly boiled etc) , as opposed to being
processed into tofu etc.

They are common boiled salted as a bar snack in Japan. If they were
seriously dangerous the Japanese would not live so long.

Soya does contain various contraceptive hormone mimics that totally
annihilate rodents but do not appear to do much if any harm to humans.
And may even be beneficial for women. Soya is widely used as a food
additive in processed foods. You will eat plenty of it without knowing.

It is astonishing that soya is safe to eat given the potency of the
chemicals involved. Japanese eat lots of soya, cooked and fermented and
suffer no obvious ill effects. OTOH cows milk is toxic to many Japanese.

I wondered whether anyone had up-to-date information or an opinion on
this. Internet info is varied and confusing.
Janet G

I would eat them. But then I would also eat highly fermented nattou.
They are a bit of an acquired taste. Somewhat slimy with protein. Try:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/soya.html

And references therein.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 22-11-2005, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Galpin contains these words:

I've grown a very small quantity of soy beans as part of an HDRA trial.
I gather though that some doubt has been cast on their healthiness when
eaten as beans (soaked, rapidly boiled etc) , as opposed to being
processed into tofu etc.
I wondered whether anyone had up-to-date information or an opinion on
this. Internet info is varied and confusing.

If it were unsafe, soy flour and soy milk would not be permitted.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-11-2005, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin Brown contains these words:

I would eat them. But then I would also eat highly fermented nattou.
They are a bit of an acquired taste. Somewhat slimy with protein. Try:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/soya.html

Try making a roux with soy flour and chicken fat, then working it up
with chicken stock...

Old 22-11-2005, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Janet Galpin wrote:

[...]

Thanks for this reassurance. A useful site too.
Janet G

Old 22-11-2005, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains these
words:

The message
from Janet Galpin contains these words:

I've grown a very small quantity of soy beans as part of an HDRA trial.
I gather though that some doubt has been cast on their healthiness when
eaten as beans (soaked, rapidly boiled etc) , as opposed to being
processed into tofu etc.
I wondered whether anyone had up-to-date information or an opinion on
this. Internet info is varied and confusing.

If it were unsafe, soy flour and soy milk would not be permitted.

Some sources seem to suggest that eaten as beans there is some risk but
processed they are fine.
The risk is perhaps only for pregnant women. I am pleased to say that I
can safely say I have no cause for concern on that front!
Janet G
Old 22-11-2005, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Galpin contains these words:

If it were unsafe, soy flour and soy milk would not be permitted.

Some sources seem to suggest that eaten as beans there is some risk but
processed they are fine.
The risk is perhaps only for pregnant women. I am pleased to say that I
can safely say I have no cause for concern on that front!

Butbutbutbutbut - soy milk is only processed in that soy meal is soaked
in water, and soy flour isn't always cooked for long. In some ice creams
it isn't even brought to boiling-point (of water) during manufacture.
(BT,DT,GTTS)

Old 22-11-2005, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from Janet Galpin contains these words:

I've grown a very small quantity of soy beans as part of an HDRA trial.
I gather though that some doubt has been cast on their healthiness when
eaten as beans (soaked, rapidly boiled etc) , as opposed to being
processed into tofu etc.
I wondered whether anyone had up-to-date information or an opinion on
this. Internet info is varied and confusing.

If it were unsafe, soy flour and soy milk would not be permitted.

Last year, I made nearly a gallon of soy sauce, by fermenting soy beans.
It's a very slow process (nearly a year) prolly because you use lotsa salt -
not sugar. We used it in cooking, but the quality was not spectacular. Maybe
this is because I used a demijon and air-lock, whereas in China they use
unglazed earthenware pots.
Bertie

Old 22-11-2005, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Bertie Doe wrote:
"Jaques d'Alltrades"

[...]
If it were unsafe, soy flour and soy milk would not be permitted.

I forget exactly why, but I understand that what makes soy beans good
for women makes too many of them bad for the health of men. Like that
Litterburger loaf or whatever it's called.

Last year, I made nearly a gallon of soy sauce, by fermenting soy
beans. It's a very slow process (nearly a year) prolly because you
use lotsa salt - not sugar. We used it in cooking, but the quality
was not spectacular. Maybe this is because I used a demijon and
air-lock, whereas in China they use unglazed earthenware pots.
Bertie

I'm impressed to find another crazy who's tried making his own soy
sauce. But I'm even more impressed to find you succeeded: mine went
intolerably evil-smelling and had to be chucked out only a month into
the experiment.

--
Mike.

Old 22-11-2005, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

I'm impressed to find another crazy who's tried making his own soy
sauce. But I'm even more impressed to find you succeeded: mine went
intolerably evil-smelling and had to be chucked out only a month into
the experiment.

Got the recipe? I'm bonkers enough to try.

Old 22-11-2005, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Soy beans are good cooked and eaten like any dry bean. First you have to
buy the edible type (the other type is used for making oil and are too oily
to be eaten by humans). You can get them at a health store or order the
seeds and grow your own.

You let them dry on the plant, husk them and eat only the bean portion (not
like you would a green bean). I raised mine one year, and when they were
dry I pulled the entire plants and stuffed them into a paper sack. Then I
hit the sack with my hand and got the beans to fall out of the husks. Then
I separated them and used the soy beans. I find that you have to cook them
a little longer than the regular dry bean.

Dwayne

Old 23-11-2005, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

I'm impressed to find another crazy who's tried making his own soy
sauce. But I'm even more impressed to find you succeeded: mine

went
intolerably evil-smelling and had to be chucked out only a month

into
the experiment.

Got the recipe? I'm bonkers enough to try.

Even if I kept my notes, I'd have to dig in a seriously inaccessible
zone of my piling system, I'm afraid. I used soya flour from a
wholefood shop, I remember that much; I may have used wine yeats and
a thingolytic enzyme to kick it off. I reckon a dollop of
unpasteurised miso might have been a good idea -- maybe I even did
use that. Perhaps Bertie can help.

--
Mike.

Old 23-11-2005, 03:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

Even if I kept my notes, I'd have to dig in a seriously inaccessible
zone of my piling system, I'm afraid. I used soya flour from a
wholefood shop, I remember that much; I may have used wine yeats and
a thingolytic enzyme to kick it off. I reckon a dollop of
unpasteurised miso might have been a good idea -- maybe I even did
use that. Perhaps Bertie can help.

Nemmind - I'll google for it.

Bertie? Not Oregvr Ohalvc...

Old 23-11-2005, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Bertie Doe wrote:
[...]

Bertie! Do you want the chinese seeds? Yes? No? I've emailed you man!!
Just let me know. Ta )

Old 23-11-2005, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these
words:

Even if I kept my notes, I'd have to dig in a seriously inaccessible
zone of my piling system, I'm afraid. I used soya flour from a
wholefood shop, I remember that much; I may have used wine yeats and
a thingolytic enzyme to kick it off. I reckon a dollop of
unpasteurised miso might have been a good idea -- maybe I even did
use that. Perhaps Bertie can help.

Nemmind - I'll google for it.

For the 'starter', I didn't use wine yeast, I used Japanese mould seeds
Koji-Kin or Shoikori-Koji. We bought the dried version in a
healthfood/homebrew shop in Bodmin, now closed. Ok, so it's a Sake wine
starter as follows :-
http://www.tibbs-vision.com/sake/instrct.html
See Step 1, Procedure follow items 1, 2, and 3.
Now go to MB's recipe in uk.f.chinese
http://tinyurl.com/dy4lu
and add the above starter to MB's recipe. See also DC's coments re, use of
earthenware pots. Had we used earthenware, we may have had better quality
sauce and maybe got soy oil as well. Our demijon didn't produce oil. You may
also prefer to wait till Spring (we did)
It's prolly a good idea to make Saki wine, it's no great taster, but it's
good in Chinese/Japanese recipes and you can make it for a fraction of the
cost. Ping MB/DC in ukfc if you get bogged down.

Bertie? Not Oregvr Ohalvc...

Nah, Crgr Phzorecnpu

Regards
Bertie

looking for soy beans Maja M.S. Edible Gardening 3 18-09-2003 11:18 PM
Soy Beans tippy1 Edible Gardening 7 16-09-2003 05:22 PM
RR Soy works better in rRomania than in USA Gordon Couger sci.agriculture 34 15-09-2003 11:09 PM
soy beans Simon Stenkle Edible Gardening 2 27-07-2003 02:12 PM
Paying to find non-GE wild corn? (Was: Soy blocked in NZ) Brian Sandle sci.agriculture 5 19-07-2003 04:52 AM