Old 07-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Jane

Default zucchini death

Ugh, I'm so disappointed. I raised my single zucchini plant from a seed in
the basement under grow lights, planted it when the soil finally warmed up
and have picked about 5 zucchinis from it. Happliy collecting one a day and
glad to have just enough for the two of us. Then I went away for two days,
came back to find the leaves wilted terribly and the whole plant looking
very bad. I watered it that night and in the morning it was still limp. It
looks like something has happened to the main stem just above the ground,
turning the stalk into mushy brown porous stuff. What happened????
That'll teach me to plant one anything anymore.
I'm very sad.
Jane in zone 6b, Maryland

Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Jack1000

Hey! 59¢/LB at the store and no bugs! Life is still good!
I always has a problem with cutworms so I planted inside cups with the bottom
cut out. So what happens? I got zucchini vine borers this year. I have been
fortunate in that I was able to find the problems early. You need to take a
thin wire and probe it into the bored hole in an attempt to spear the larva and
kill it or remove it. Then cover the base of the plant with soil or sand the
plant will try to recover and put out new roots. If It's too late, just thank
god you didn't have an acre of them 'Live and learn.'

Jack

whaaaaaaa!
Thanks for the info. I'll know better next year...but my dreams of zucchini
pancakes are dashed...boohooo.

Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg Tracey Gardening 1 22-07-2003 06:32 PM
Can someone ID this insect found on my Zucchini? - zucchini pest.jpg (1/1) Some One Gardening 5 22-07-2003 03:42 PM
Zucchini problems Bill Gardening 1 11-06-2003 09:08 PM
Zucchini is dying Vanis Texas 4 02-06-2003 03:44 AM
zucchini's KH Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:35 AM