Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Charles Quinn

Default Problems growing Dill & Rosemary

In article , Kswck wrote:
What are the proper conditions for growing these 2?
Please note I am an apartment dweller and grow these in pots. Is heat a
factor? I have a south-facing apartment, gets sun most of the day.
I also have problems with curly leaf parsley, but the basil grows like a
weed.

I live in inland southern California and heat is not a problem on rosemary, it
is currently taking over my back yard and needs a heavy trim again. My guess
is either water or root bound is your problem.

--

Charles
Indifference = Consent
Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
EvelynMcH

Rosemary loves sun and sandy, not too wet soil. It's very easy to overwater it
in pots. Dill needs a lot of light, and gets leggy when it doesn't get enough,
but it tolerates water much better. Says something about my indoor watering
habits that my inside rosemary has done well, but I've pretty much always
managed to kill every pot of dill I have ever been given...

-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein
Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
dstvns

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 21:44:51 GMT, Kswck wrote:

What are the proper conditions for growing these 2?
Please note I am an apartment dweller and grow these in pots. Is heat a
factor? I have a south-facing apartment, gets sun most of the day.
I also have problems with curly leaf parsley, but the basil grows like a

Your conditions sound a little like my own in the eastern mid-atlantic
US. My rosemary has died two straight years here...I even potted it
and brought it in, but the cold weather and damp soil is what I think
did it in...I thought damp soil would be fine since it was originally
found on the craggy rocks of the mediterranean. Now I know rosemary
requires lots of pampering up here in the cold weather; it will stay
indoors near the heater.

The dill is another slightly different matter. Both rosemary and dill
despise thick, clay-like soils. Dill has done extremely poorly for me
in all areas except one spot where I put pure sand mixed with
limestone and a VERY small amount of local clayish loam (heavy on the
loam side). The area was primarily designed as a lavender haven, but
the dill is doing extremely well. I've had dill germination rates of
about 90% whereas with normal local dirt its 30% or usually much less.
I believe the thin, sandy soil and the powdered lime helped a lot.
Who knows, maybe I should throw in a little lime to my potted
rosemary...

Dan

Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Henriette Kress

Kswck wrote:

What are the proper conditions for growing these 2?
Please note I am an apartment dweller and grow these in pots. Is heat a
factor? I have a south-facing apartment, gets sun most of the day.
I also have problems with curly leaf parsley, but the basil grows like a
weed.

Dill and parsley are both in the Apiaceae (Umbelliferae).
Most, if not all, of the plants in this family have taproots - including,
among others, dill, parsley, carrot, angelica, coriander, lovage, osha,
sweet cicely, ...
If you give them shallow soil they'll die.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
DigitalVinyl

Henriette Kress wrote:

Kswck wrote:

What are the proper conditions for growing these 2?
Please note I am an apartment dweller and grow these in pots. Is heat a
factor? I have a south-facing apartment, gets sun most of the day.
I also have problems with curly leaf parsley, but the basil grows like a
weed.

Funny, i couldn't get any of my basil to germinate yet I can't kill my
parsley. And half my parsley is in shallow pots (4" & 6" deep). The
4" deep pot was devoured to sticks by four swallowtail butterflys but
it has since grown back.

You don't really say what is wrong with your plants.

I've read that mediterranean(sp?) herbs prefer dryer conditions.
Aromatic herbs supposedly can become better flavored when allowed to
endure drier conditions (i.e. dry out between watering) A side note:
my friend's a beekeeper and the honey was the tastiest during a big
drought year--this may be a common aspect of nature.

With full sun I'd look at soil, water or fertilization. Compacted,
dense soils are worse for potted plants. You want the soil to be light
and loose when first potting. I don't like clay pots myself. My
smaller clay pots require watering twice a day on a hot day. Plastic
swings the other way--too easily retains moisture. Despite the worries
of root rot, molds, I prefer plastic. Containers also require
nutrients more than grounds since they tend to get washed out more
often. Natural cycles of decay and earthworms won't replace nutrients,
so you got to amend it yourself.

Dill and parsley are both in the Apiaceae (Umbelliferae).
Most, if not all, of the plants in this family have taproots - including,
among others, dill, parsley, carrot, angelica, coriander, lovage, osha,
sweet cicely, ...
If you give them shallow soil they'll die.

Henriette

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener

Old 09-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Kswck

DigitalVinyl wrote:

Henriette Kress wrote:

Kswck wrote:

[...]

Both plants brown and die from the 'ground up'.

Novice gardener purchased bay/goji/rosemary and already having problems help please commando United Kingdom 11 31-10-2009 09:21 AM
growing dill KK United Kingdom 2 21-11-2006 02:45 PM
rosemary growing problems Jim Lewis Gardening 2 21-02-2004 06:32 PM
Banned Herbicides &&&& Pesticides Christopher Norton United Kingdom 1 26-08-2003 07:42 AM
how can i dry Dill and other herbs? info Gardening 5 20-04-2003 09:08 PM