Old 19-08-2003, 07:22 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default OT- better news reader?

"t0xicmarie" wrote:

Can anyone help this network engineer find a better newsgroup reader,
please? I am getting really tired of Outlook Express, but haven't been into
newsgroups much, til now.

Cheers, in advance.

Marie in LosAngeles.

I've used Agent for almost a decade now. Bought it way back then. It
also handles binary groups well...if that is something you are
interested in.

Unfortunately it isn't until you've used a product for quite a while
that you learn its limitations, by then you are comfortable and being
creatures of habit we stick to what we know.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 19-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Mary McHugh

Steve Calvin wrote:

Netscape (4.77) worked fine for me until I started using multiple
servers. Then I tried Free Agent and Gravity. Both are good, but I
preferred Gravity - I don't even remember the reason, so there must not
have been much difference.

I'm on Netscape 7.2 and it handles multiple servers just fine. 7.1 did
too. I don't remember how the 6.x versions did with it. Why in the
world are you all the way back at 4.xx???

I'm posting this with Netscape 4.76 and it handles multiple servers as well
quite well. As far as 4.76 vs. 7.x, it's much lighter. I have both versions
installed (4.76,7.1) and I prefer the newsreader with 4.76 but when browsing
the web, you're almost forced now to use 7.x. A lot of sites I frequent have
given me warning that 4.76 will no longer be supported.

If I had my druthers, I'd be running xrn on a unix box. :-)

Mary

Old 20-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Grandpa

Mary McHugh wrote:

Steve Calvin wrote:

Netscape (4.77) worked fine for me until I started using multiple
servers. Then I tried Free Agent and Gravity. Both are good, but I
preferred Gravity - I don't even remember the reason, so there must not
have been much difference.

I'm on Netscape 7.2 and it handles multiple servers just fine. 7.1 did
too. I don't remember how the 6.x versions did with it. Why in the
world are you all the way back at 4.xx???

I'm posting this with Netscape 4.76 and it handles multiple servers as well
quite well. As far as 4.76 vs. 7.x, it's much lighter. I have both versions
installed (4.76,7.1) and I prefer the newsreader with 4.76 but when browsing
the web, you're almost forced now to use 7.x. A lot of sites I frequent have
given me warning that 4.76 will no longer be supported.

Exactly why I switched from 4.78 to 7.2, plus a lot of the screens
didn't paint correctly nor pictures show up properly. With 7.2 thats
not a problem.

Old 20-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Steve Calvin

Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 02:34:18 GMT

Steve Calvin wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:

In article ,
says...

Steve Calvin wrote:

Personally, I use standard Netscape. Works fine for me.

Ditto, Netscape works just fine for me too.

Netscape (4.77) worked fine for me until I started using multiple
servers. Then I tried Free Agent and Gravity. Both are good, but I
preferred Gravity - I don't even remember the reason, so there must
not have been much difference.

I'm on Netscape 7.2 and it handles multiple servers just fine. 7.1 did
too. I don't remember how the 6.x versions did with it. Why in the
world are you all the way back at 4.xx???

OOPS, I meant that I'm on 7.1 and was on 7.0....

--
Steve

Old 20-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Larry Blanchard

In article , says...
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Netscape (4.77) worked fine for me until I started using multiple

I'm on Netscape 7.2 and it handles multiple servers just fine. 7.1 did
too. I don't remember how the 6.x versions did with it. Why in the
world are you all the way back at 4.xx???

I tried 6 and didn't like it. Saw no reason to think that 7 would be any
better. Seems like every release tries to look more like IE.

I'm going to switch to Mozilla when I get the time and energy to get
Linux going again. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and get Mozilla for
Windows.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Old 22-08-2003, 06:04 AM
zxcvbob

t0xicmarie wrote:

Can anyone help this network engineer find a better newsgroup reader,
please? I am getting really tired of Outlook Express, but haven't been into
newsgroups much, til now.

Cheers, in advance.

Marie in LosAngeles.

I'm using Thunderbird (it's kind of like Mozilla without the browser)

Bob

Old 22-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Ian Gay

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:
t0xicmarie wrote:

Can anyone help this network engineer find a better newsgroup reader,
please? I am getting really tired of Outlook Express, but haven't been into
newsgroups much, til now.

Cheers, in advance.

Marie in LosAngeles.

I'm using Thunderbird (it's kind of like Mozilla without the browser)

Bob

If you're using windows, try xnews.

Ian

*** To reply by e-mail, make double u single in address ***