Old 24-08-2003, 04:32 PM
John Pascarella

Default Question for Group

Is it ok to post eBay auctions in this newsgroup? I have past issues of
gardening (OG, National Gardening and such) magazines that my father had
in his basement that I need to liquidate. Thanks in advance.

John

Old 24-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Henriette Kress

John Pascarella wrote:

Is it ok to post eBay auctions in this newsgroup? I have past issues of
gardening (OG, National Gardening and such) magazines that my father had
in his basement that I need to liquidate. Thanks in advance.

NO.

You can post your ads ONLY to newsgroups clearly marked commercial.
That is, groups named something.something.forsale, .marketplace or
similar. ALL other newsgroups are NON-commercial. Including this one.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Old 24-08-2003, 05:02 PM
John Pascarella

Henriette Kress wrote:

John Pascarella wrote:

Is it ok to post eBay auctions in this newsgroup? I have past issues of
gardening (OG, National Gardening and such) magazines that my father had
in his basement that I need to liquidate. Thanks in advance.

NO.

You can post your ads ONLY to newsgroups clearly marked commercial.
That is, groups named something.something.forsale, .marketplace or
similar. ALL other newsgroups are NON-commercial. Including this one.

Henriette

That is why I asked. I frequent the rec.collecting.coins and they allow
aution notices as long as the subject is labled as such [FA (For
Auction), FS (For Sale), ect.]. I am not posting for any commercial
enterprises, just wanted to give interested gardeners the chance to get
past issues of gardening magazines before they hit the burn pile.

John

Old 24-08-2003, 05:02 PM
John Pascarella

Is my face red. I have taken to using that address in my postings to
another newsgroup I frequent because I was getting all kinds of spam. I
forgot that I had it listed as my email address. Please notice that I
have listed my proper address. Sorry in advance for the mix-up. I do not
wish to be mistaken for a spammer.

John

Old 24-08-2003, 05:12 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:22:11 GMT, John Pascarella
wrote:

Is it ok to post eBay auctions in this newsgroup? I have past issues of
gardening (OG, National Gardening and such) magazines that my father had
in his basement that I need to liquidate. Thanks in advance.

It's not OK.

Suppose every person auctioning gardening-related stuff on
Ebay posted their auctions here? The newsgroup would die
under the weight of the advertisements. AFAIK, this is a
non-commercial newsgroup and doesn't allow advertising.

But you can have a reference to them as a .sig (signature)
file - that's accepted on newsgroups. When you participate
in conversations here, people will see the .sig file.

It would be best to refer to a web page that you put up -
and that page in turn can list all your auctions.

..Sig files should be preceded by two dashes and a space (as
the first characters in a line) and really shouldn't take up
more than four lines although a line or two more probably
wouldn't stir up much ire.

(See my .sig file as an example.)

Pat

Old 24-08-2003, 05:22 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"John Pascarella" wrote in message
newsK42b.245327$uu5.50130@sccrnsc04...
Is it ok to post eBay auctions in this newsgroup? I have past issues of
gardening (OG, National Gardening and such) magazines that my father had
in his basement that I need to liquidate. Thanks in advance.

John

I'm mostly a lurker, but although posting e-Bay or commercial ads is taboo,
I don't see anything wrong with posts for free stuff. On rec.food.cooking,
people will sometimes post about cookbooks they are willing to give
away--taker only has to pay for postage. If the choice is between
burning/throwing away the magazines and giving them away, why not give them
away?

rona

Old 24-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Philip

"Henriette Kress" wrote in message
newsan.2003.08.24.15.33.17.774084@hetta...

NO.

You can post your ads ONLY to newsgroups clearly marked commercial.
That is, groups named something.something.forsale, .marketplace or
similar. ALL other newsgroups are NON-commercial. Including this one.

Henriette,
Not to be too picky, but that's not entirely true. You can post to a
great many newsgroups that are not marked as you mentioned with things to be
sold, the difference is that here in this group you'll end up angering the
very people you're selling to, and that's really not going to get you where
you want to go if you're a seller. As I haven't looked at this group's FAQ
in a long time (something I'm going to rectify now) I can't say that it is
or isn't forbidden in the FAQ. If it's not in the FAQ then technically he
could sell in this group without abusing netiquette.

Philip

Old 24-08-2003, 07:42 PM
pascarj

All I am asking about is posting a link to my sellers page on eBay. In
the rec.collecting.coins newsgroup, this sort of posting is very common
and does not cause any problems. The posting is listed as...FA coin for
sale on ebay...if someone is interested they look. If not, they pass it
by just like any other posting. Thanks again

Old 24-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Henriette Kress

pascarj wrote:

All I am asking about is posting a link to my sellers page on eBay. In
the rec.collecting.coins newsgroup, this sort of posting is very common
and does not cause any problems. The posting is listed as...FA coin for
sale on ebay...if someone is interested they look. If not, they pass it
by just like any other posting.

Not here.

Henriette

Old 24-08-2003, 09:12 PM
Pat Meadows

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:40:25 GMT, pascarj
wrote:

All I am asking about is posting a link to my sellers page on eBay. In
the rec.collecting.coins newsgroup, this sort of posting is very common
and does not cause any problems. The posting is listed as...FA coin for
sale on ebay...if someone is interested they look. If not, they pass it
by just like any other posting. Thanks again

Put it in your .sig file - no problems then.

If you don't know how to make a .sig file that pops up
automatically at the end of each message you send (using
whatever news program you use), you can type it manually.

Just remember to start the first line with two dashes,
followed by a space.

Pat
Old 25-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Philip said:

It would appear that there is no central FAQ for the group.

But there is a charter -- not a very long one. I remember voting to form
this group, and discussing it with the proponent (Scott Jung) 'before the
beginning.'
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 25-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Pat Kiewicz

John Pascarella said:

Is it ok to post eBay auctions in this newsgroup? I have past issues of
gardening (OG, National Gardening and such) magazines that my father had
in his basement that I need to liquidate. Thanks in advance.

While your particular situation doesn't sound abusive to me, the charter for
rec.gardens.edible specifically forbids advertising, which means anyone who
does advertise something is likely to get the netcops complaining to their ISP.

quote from the charter

Advertising Policy:

Following standard Usenet guidelines, the newsgroup is not intended to
be used for commercial advertising, solicitation, or marketing of
products or services. Commercial unsolicited announcements WILL NOT
be welcome. Discussions of commercial products will be allowed in a
user context. In other words, if someone asks about a product someone
may answer them. These discussions must be directly relevant to the
newsgroup.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 25-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Andrew McMichael

Philip wrote:

It would appear that there is no central FAQ for the group.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. CErtainly it is time to write one.

1. What's that powdery substance on my squash/pumpkins/zucchinis
2. Birds are eating my peppers/tomatoes
3. What are some good organic fertilizers
4. How do I get rid of nusaince creatures

&c &c &c

Andrew