Old 13-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Pam

Default First Frost

Our first frost is predicted for tonight. And yes, I know how
nice it is to be able to say that in mid-November.

BUT I'M NOT READY!

whimper want more time, want more peppers.
And, and, and...the tomatoes are making a come back!

I shall stand in the yard and spit fiery curses into the face
of Jack Frost until he creeps away in terror!

Or, you know, at least, until the neighbors call the police.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"
Old 15-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Casey Stevens

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:50:26 -0500, Pam wrote:

Our first frost is predicted for tonight. And yes, I know how
nice it is to be able to say that in mid-November.

Our first one was last night here in the South Carolina midlands
(Orangeburg). This morning, I grieved for my tomato plants, peppers,
lima beans, my eggplants and my gourd vines. Even after covering
everything with sheets of plastic and putting hay around them, they
looked like they'd been left in Siberia overnight. But... then I went
to visit my garlic and my mustard, the chinese cabbage and collards.
Then I was happy again.

Now where are the seed catalogs for next spring?

Casey
Old 18-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Pam Rudd

When last we left our heros, on Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:40:10 -0500,
Casey Stevens scribbled:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:50:26 -0500, Pam wrote:

Our first frost is predicted for tonight. And yes, I know how
nice it is to be able to say that in mid-November.

Our first one was last night here in the South Carolina midlands
(Orangeburg).

Oh, howdy. I'm in the Midlands of SC, too, just a bit north of
you.

This morning, I grieved for my tomato plants, peppers,
lima beans, my eggplants and my gourd vines. Even after covering
everything with sheets of plastic and putting hay around them, they
looked like they'd been left in Siberia overnight.

Ha! Ha, I say! I spit on your plastic, you should have blistered
the air as I did. Poor Jack Frost peered over the fence, urinated
on himself, and scurried off to your house.

Um, well, ok. So maybe it had more to do with the fact that I
loaded my little smoker with charcoal at midnight and kept it
burning right in the middle of the pepper patch all night. I just
prefer the idea of Jack Frost quivering in terror at my creative
imprecation.

So, all the peppers within 6 feet or so of the smoker came
through with only a bit of nippage on the upper leaves. I
tucked blankets over the plants in containers and they came
through unscathed as well.

But... then I went
to visit my garlic and my mustard, the chinese cabbage and collards.
Then I was happy again.

Now where are the seed catalogs for next spring?

Oh, I've already started a pepper wish list for next spring
and put gift certificates to Seed Savers www.seedsavers.com
and Cross Country Nursery www.chiliplants.com on my "Santa"
list!

Pam

"ElissaAnn"

First Frost - NE GA GA Pinhead Edible Gardening 5 15-11-2004 03:48 PM
First Frost - NE GA GA Pinhead Edible Gardening 0 15-11-2004 12:40 PM
First frost Sacha United Kingdom 25 15-11-2004 09:23 AM
preparing (tomatoes0 for first frost in Colorado Front Range Stephen Younge Edible Gardening 5 23-09-2003 08:02 AM
preparing (tomatoes0 for first frost in Colorado Front Range Stephen Younge Gardening 6 23-09-2003 08:02 AM