Old 07-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Linda Barsalou

Default Whats eating my veggies?

Are you sure it is not a little rabbit or other small
critter? It looks
lot like what I see when they get it my garden and they sure
like the
veggies you mentioned.

Linda

"JoanneW." wrote:

It s beginning of January here in northern California and
is the coldest time of year.
Something is attacking my broccoli, bok-choy,
cauliflower and lettuce in the shadiest wettest side of my
house.
The damage looks alot like snail or slug with the edges
of the leaves eaten . However I can t find any slugs or
snails around and there are no trails that I notice.
Anybody have any ideas?
see link to
photo: [Image]http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/030104-Veg1.jpg).

Old 08-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Steve

I didn't seem to get the original post but I see the question in this reply.
The way the damage seems to be mostly on the leaf edges, it almost looks
more like damage from a caterpillar of some sort. I have trouble with
slugs but not snails around here.
Have you gone out with a flashlight right after dark to see if anything
is out for a late dinner?

Steve

Old 08-01-2004, 12:33 PM
shazzbat

SNIP
It s beginning of January here in northern California and
is the coldest time of year.

More snip

So somebody educate me (in southern England)

What constitutes cold in California? Frost?fog?snow?

When we think of California over here the only thing that springs to mind is
sunshine.

Incidentally my garden fence blew down in a gale last night and it's
currently lashing down with rain, the road is starting to flood.

Steve

Old 08-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 12:19:11 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

It s beginning of January here in northern California and
is the coldest time of year.

So somebody educate me (in southern England)

What constitutes cold in California? Frost?fog?snow?

When we think of California over here the only thing that springs to mind is
sunshine.

California is 770 miles 'long' and 250mi 'wide' with a variety of
climate zones. including temperate coastal areas, deserts, interior
plains, and the tallest mountain peak (Mt. Whitney -14,494ft) in the
US outside Alaska. If the unidentified poster is in San Fransicso,
average January minimum temperatures are in the mid-40sF. Temperature
extremes range between -45F around Lake Tahoe to 134F in Death Valley.

You're probably thinking of the southern Calif/Los Angeles area of
movies and TV. Average low temperatures for January are in the upper
40sF.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:49 PM
shazzbat

wrote:

[...]

Wow, that is a range! I knew about death valley, but not lake Tahoe. I was
just thinking that if it's the coldest part of the year, it may be a bit
premature sowing some of the veggies mentioned. I won't be even starting
sowing anything until at least mid Feb. in my unheated greenhouse and this
is a mild area of UK.

All right, since I don't know about growing seasons over there maybe I'll
keep my nose out of areas I know nothing about :-))

Steve
http://mysite.freeserve.com/steveandmaggiesplot

Old 10-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Frogleg

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:20:22 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote

"shazzbat"
wrote:

What constitutes cold in California? Frost?fog?snow?

California is 770 miles 'long' and 250mi 'wide' with a variety of
climate zones. including temperate coastal areas, deserts, interior
plains, and the tallest mountain peak (Mt. Whitney -14,494ft) in the
US outside Alaska.

Wow, that is a range! I knew about death valley, but not lake Tahoe. I was
just thinking that if it's the coldest part of the year, it may be a bit
premature sowing some of the veggies mentioned. I won't be even starting
sowing anything until at least mid Feb. in my unheated greenhouse and this
is a mild area of UK.

All right, since I don't know about growing seasons over there maybe I'll
keep my nose out of areas I know nothing about :-))

Don't go away. While I'm familiar with Calif, having lived in the SF
Bay area for many years and traveled (and skied) some, it was
interesting to nail down the absolute stats. And you don't learn if
you don't ask. The OP mentioned several "cool weather" crops which
are probably quite appropriate for the SF area in January. Although
it's hard to generalize -- a lot of 'micro-climates' in the region.
Ex: I remember driving from west from Palo Alto on an sunny, hot (85F)
summer day, over the hills, and to the beach. As I descended on the
Pacific side of the hills, the temperature dropped, it was foggy and
about 55F at the beach, and I sat on the sand for a shivering 15
minutes before driving back to bask by the apt. pool. :-)

I also sometimes founder around in urg. No one's been nasty to me yet.
^_^

Your allotment looks interesting. How large is it?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:21 PM
JoanneW.

This is on a deck so access for animals is limited, but there is a tree
right next to the deck.
There are squirrels that can climb on to it but I haven t seen any
around the pots.
I have seen birds around the pots.
I don t know if birds or squirrels can do that kind of damage. A rat? It
sure is tasty.

Old 11-01-2004, 04:27 PM
JoanneW.

Thanks. I think I tried checking after dark before but didn t see anything, but
will check more often.

Old 11-01-2004, 08:32 PM
shazzbat

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:20:22 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

SNIP
[...]

Thank you. It is interesting, and fun, at least we think so. Sometimes in
summer we're down there till nearly dark, it beats TV :-))

I haven't measured it properly, but the tenancy document describes it as
0.11 acres and I'm prepared to believe it, even though they all say that
despite being visibly smaller towards the other end of the (tapering) site.

Steve