Old 12-02-2004, 04:32 AM
Shystev99

Default Avocados from seeds? Any tips?

I'm not
sure if we'll ever get any fruit from them.

Yeah that sounds like a big downside, One of the sites i was on said it usually
takes anywhere from 5 - 13 years for the tree to even begin to have fruit.
Most trees usually take several years though, But to me 13 years did sound a
bit long.
Steve
Old 12-02-2004, 05:14 AM
Ray Drouillard

"Katra" wrote in message

Planting a whole, rotting avocado would probably work better. That
really is the whole point of a plant making fruit! Not for us humans

eat, but to either provide fertilizer for the new seed, or, to

encourage
animals to eat the fruit, thus spreading the progeny when the animal
drops the non-digestible seed out on the ground in a pile of animal
fertilizer. ;-)

Actually, plants make edible fruit for the purpose of seed
dissemination. Animals pick up the fruit and carry them away from the
original tree. In some cases, the seeds are swallowed and later
deposited right along with a little pile of fertilizer. This happens
mostly with birds, but there are some mammals that also disseminate
seeds in their poop.

In the case of something that has a pit, the animal in question
generally drags the fruit away to eat elsewhere, but doesn't swallow the
pit.

In the case of nuts, the tree grossly overproduces. The nuts that the
squirrel buries but never digs up is the nut that grows.

You may notice that fruit tends to be sour or bitter before the seeds
are mature. They are generally inconspicuous, too. It's only after the
seeds are ready that the fruit ripens and changes color to attract the
animals.

Ray Drouillard

Old 12-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Ray Drouillard" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message

Planting a whole, rotting avocado would probably work better. That
really is the whole point of a plant making fruit! Not for us humans

eat, but to either provide fertilizer for the new seed, or, to

encourage
animals to eat the fruit, thus spreading the progeny when the animal
drops the non-digestible seed out on the ground in a pile of animal
fertilizer. ;-)

Actually, plants make edible fruit for the purpose of seed
dissemination.

I think I kinda sorta said that, but you put it much better. G
"spreading the progeny" is the way I had meant that.

Animals pick up the fruit and carry them away from the
original tree. In some cases, the seeds are swallowed and later
deposited right along with a little pile of fertilizer. This happens
mostly with birds, but there are some mammals that also disseminate
seeds in their poop.

Yah. Ever seen racoon poop full of wild persimmon seeds?

In the case of something that has a pit, the animal in question
generally drags the fruit away to eat elsewhere, but doesn't swallow the
pit.

In the case of nuts, the tree grossly overproduces. The nuts that the
squirrel buries but never digs up is the nut that grows.

Gods. I know. I have been digging up and cutting up pecan trees all over
the yard due to squirrels and a tree down the street!

You may notice that fruit tends to be sour or bitter before the seeds
are mature. They are generally inconspicuous, too. It's only after the
seeds are ready that the fruit ripens and changes color to attract the
animals.

Ray Drouillard

Neat post. :-)
Well stated.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,

Old 12-02-2004, 07:33 AM
Janice

snip
In the case of nuts, the tree grossly overproduces. The nuts that the
squirrel buries but never digs up is the nut that grows.

You may notice that fruit tends to be sour or bitter before the seeds
are mature. They are generally inconspicuous, too. It's only after the
seeds are ready that the fruit ripens and changes color to attract the
animals.

Ray Drouillard

Squirrels hereabouts don't worry about waiting for things to ripen! I
bought an apricot years ago.. sweet heart I think.. that had an almond
like pit with the apricot fruit. I never saw a one of them, squirrels
cut every one of them, and it had a heavy load of fruit on it, off the
tree while they were green.

Chickens roosting in the tree split the tree, and I didn't even
attempt to save any of it because I knew that I'd never get anything
from it with squirrels around.

Ah hates squirrels! I need a herd of trained Maine Coon Cats ..
trained to catch and dispatch squirrels to the "nut house beyond!"

Janice
Old 12-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Katra

In article ,
Janice wrote:

snip
[...]

Border collie, or whippets. ;-)

Old 12-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Janice

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 01:41:58 -0600, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
Janice wrote:

snip
[...]

No doggies, they just bark up the trees and soon become neurotic and
run out and bark bark bark at the base of trees even when there are no
squirrels. Cats just go get 'em!

Janice

Old 12-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Katra

In article ,
Janice wrote:

No doggies, they just bark up the trees and soon become neurotic and
run out and bark bark bark at the base of trees even when there are no
squirrels. Cats just go get 'em!

Janice

Guess it depends on the doggy... ;-)
I had a whippet named Mark that killed _lots_ of squirrels, and my
border collie has been killing rats.

She has tried to get the tree squirrels, but just has not been quite
quick enough.

Cats I think are variable. One of my best hunters, Tigger, used to kill
my pigeons which is why he got exiled to being an indoor cat. G He
never did kill any squirrels.

Used to have a gray tabby female tho' in california that left squirrel
parts on the front porch for me to step in on a regular basis. :-P

Rabbits too. She was quite the little hunter! :-)

Her name was Patience.

K.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:24 PM
H Hornblower

On 09 Feb 2004 22:12:12 GMT, (Shystev99) wrote:

Hi all,
I am going to try to plant an avocado from a seed. I have searched websites and
found 2 main ways of doing it, First let the seed sit in water pointed end up
till it sprouts.(I've tried this method once before and all that happened was
the seed split in half after about 2 weeks or so.)
The second method I have found on the web was just planting it in soil, I found
a site that suggested to cut the pointed tip of the seed off about 1/4 inch or
so and plant the seed with just the cut part exposed above the soil.
Has anybody had any success with either method and any tips? I read today that
if you try the water method it helps to add charcoal to the water to "Sweeten"
it. Would this charcoal idea also work with soil? And would a regular charcoal
briquette work?
I live in southern Ca about 30-50 miles from where Avocados normally grow, It
may be to cold here but just not sure, Still like to try. Also not sure about
what type of Avocado seed I have to plant, A friend brought some over a few
weeks ago and there were mixed varieties.
I am soaking the seed completley submerged in tap water for the moment, Just to
keep from drying out till I figure out which method to use. But will decide
either way by tomorrow (Tuesday).
I had 4 years of horticultre back in highschool but that was years ago and we
never really started things from seed.
Thanks for any advice
Steve

My mother would stick toothpicks in them so that they would
rest on top of a glass of water with just the bottom of the seed wet.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:32 PM
H Hornblower

[...]

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
Avocados from seeds? Any tips? Dwayne Edible Gardening 0 10-02-2004 03:41 AM
Growing Avocados in a Kitchen in Dublin. Peter Nolan United Kingdom 15 21-12-2003 11:32 AM
Avocados rapdor Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Avocados in black soil (clay) SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM