Old 10-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Shystev99

Default Avocados from seeds? Any tips?

While I agree somewhat, and have finally learnt to google most of the
time, what good are these discussion lists if we can't discuss questions
like this?

I agree, Isn't the purpose of newsgroups like this is to have a forum people
with certain interests can go to share information, talk to other people, share
successes, share failures, share ideas for how to avoid problems, and most
importantly have a place where we can learn and teach?
I apologize to the entire board for snapping at the poster who told me to learn
how to use google. I don't honestly know if the person meant it as a personal
shot or attack but the way it was worded

step 1: learn how to use a web search tool like google.
go to http://www.google.com
enter search string like "grow advocados"

To me looked more as a remark that was meant to imply I was either lazy or
stupid. If I was I would have never listed or explained the 2 ways of planting
a seed the way I did, Had I been to lazy or to stupid to use google I would
have simply came to the board and in a 1 sentence question I would have asked

I have an Avocado seed, How do I get it to grow?

I didn't do that, I researched, Shared what I had found in that research and
then asked people who may have had hands on experience if there were any
successes or failures with either method I found through that research.
If I was wrong to ask a question then I truly apologize to everyone. But my
view has always been when you stop asking questions you stop learning.

I apologize to the group for snapping back at the poster, But I don't
appreciate being talked down to. If I feel someone is taking a shot at me, I'm
gonna shoot back.
Steve

Old 10-02-2004, 07:03 PM
Lynn Smythe

I've started quite a few avacados successfully from the seeds of store
bought avacados. I've used both the smooth skin and rough skin varieties. I
place 3 toothpicks towards the top of the pit. Then I susupend the pit in a
glass of water making sure the top inch or so is above the water. I placed
the glass on my kitchen windowsill until it was ready to be planted
outdoors. I changed the water in the glass every few days. I don't remember
how long they took to sprout - a few weeks at least. I waited until they
had a strong stem and a few leaves growing out of the top before planting
into my garden.

I live in planting zone 10 in hot and humid SE Florida. The last avacado pit
I planted out in the yard had to be removed - the tree was getting too big
and it was too close to our septic tank. I guess a fully grown avacado tree
can get to be over 60 feet tall - way to big for my tiny yard. But the kids
get a kick out of seeing the seeds sprout. I guess I could try growing one
in a very large container - not sure if it would set fruit but they also
make a nice ornamental plant.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Lynn Smythe
e-mail:
website:
http://users.adelphia.net/~lynnsmythe

"Shystev99" wrote in message
Hi all,
I am going to try to plant an avocado from a seed. I have searched

websites and
found 2 main ways of doing it, First let the seed sit in water pointed end

up
till it sprouts.(I've tried this method once before and all that happened

was
the seed split in half after about 2 weeks or so.)
The second method I have found on the web was just planting it in soil, I

found
a site that suggested to cut the pointed tip of the seed off about 1/4

inch or
so and plant the seed with just the cut part exposed above the soil.
Has anybody had any success with either method and any tips? I read today

that
if you try the water method it helps to add charcoal to the water to

"Sweeten"
it. Would this charcoal idea also work with soil? And would a regular

charcoal
briquette work?
I live in southern Ca about 30-50 miles from where Avocados normally grow,

It
may be to cold here but just not sure, Still like to try. Also not sure

about
what type of Avocado seed I have to plant, A friend brought some over a

few
weeks ago and there were mixed varieties.
I am soaking the seed completley submerged in tap water for the moment,

Just to
keep from drying out till I figure out which method to use. But will

decide
either way by tomorrow (Tuesday).
I had 4 years of horticultre back in highschool but that was years ago and

we
never really started things from seed.
Thanks for any advice
Steve

Old 10-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Shystev99

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Thanks,
I planted it today using the pot method I found on a website.
http://www.ucavo.ucr.edu/AvocadoWebS...ite/General/An
swers.html#anchor1425491

Top paragraph, It says to cut the top 1/4 inch off the top of the seed, place
it in moist soil and wait. I'm gonna give it a try and see what happens.
I do have one more uneaten avocado lying around, It will have a much smaller
seed so what I may do is do the toothpick thing again with it.
I tried the toothpick and water thing before and it split in half and nothing
happened so I was kind of dissapointed with it.
I'll have the potted seed and water method side by side as soon as we decide to
cut into it.
I'll give em both 6 - 8 weeks if nothing happens by say mid April, I may just
chuck em.
Steve
Old 11-02-2004, 02:26 AM
Kawika

i soak them in water for a day or two, then i plant them directly in
the soil...like dwayne stated, not every one will sprout, i'd say
roughly about 50%, more or less.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Kawika

Old 11-02-2004, 02:44 AM
Kawika

Old 11-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Katra

In article ,
(Shystev99) wrote:

[...]

You don't owe anyone an apology... ;-)
In my book, he was being rather rude!
If he'd wanted to help, he'd have posted a few useful
links from google to prove his point. Grins

Now back to your question, even tho' the one I finally got to grow died,
I planted it directly in a pot and stuck it out on the north side of the
house where it got east and west sun in the morning and evening. I left
the top exposed and gave it good drainage. It eventually got planted in
the ground but we get freezes here so that is probably why I lost it. I
tried to protect it with leaf filled cages but that apparantly was not
good enough...

And no, this browser has no spell checker so please forgive.

Mom and dad sprouted many of them with the toothpick and water method,
but I don't recall them ever getting a tree out of them. :-)

Planting a whole, rotting avocado would probably work better. That
really is the whole point of a plant making fruit! Not for us humans to
eat, but to either provide fertilizer for the new seed, or, to encourage
animals to eat the fruit, thus spreading the progeny when the animal
drops the non-digestible seed out on the ground in a pile of animal
fertilizer. ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katra at centurytel dot net,,

Old 11-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Katra

In article ,
(Shystev99) wrote:

[...]

When it split in half, did it fall apart? :-)
If not, that is usually the first sign that it's gonna sprout!

It takes awhile...

K.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Shystev99

When it split in half, did it fall apart? :-)
If not, that is usually the first sign that it's gonna sprout!

It takes awhile...

Well the first time I tried it it did split in half and fell apart into 2
pieces, It fell apart after maybe 2 weeks, I tried to keep it in the water for
another 2 weeks but wasn't very successful, Everytime I turned around the
toothpicks had slipped or broke free and it always sank to the bottom of the
glass totally underwater. There was no sprouting, not even any sign of
sprouting so after a month or so I finally gave up and tossed it. But it broke
right down the center of the seed.
Steve
Old 11-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Shystev99

If you are having bad luck with toothpicks, you may try turkey skewers???

Well I may try the toothpick thing with the other avocado, The seed is much
smaller than the one in the pot. It will probably be so small I am wondering if
I just couldn't find a metal screw, I'd only need one an inch or so long. Wait
till it breaks in half then try to screw it back together.
Or just use a nail to pound my holes for the toothpicks just to make sure they
are deeper than last time. I'm sure one of those tiny nails used for picture
frames may work.I just have to be careful not to shatter the seed when I pound
them in.
Steve
Old 11-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Hane

"Shystev99" wrote in message
If you are having bad luck with toothpicks, you may try turkey skewers???

Well I may try the toothpick thing with the other avocado, The seed is much
smaller than the one in the pot. It will probably be so small I am wondering if
I just couldn't find a metal screw, I'd only need one an inch or so long. Wait
till it breaks in half then try to screw it back together.

Don't screw it back together when it breaks in half... that's how the stem
comes out of the middle of the seed! At that point it's growing into a tree.
My toothpicks often come out. I start with 3 and usually two remaining will
keep it at the right water level.

h-

Old 11-02-2004, 06:35 PM
Katra

In article ,
"Hane" wrote:

"Shystev99" wrote in message
If you are having bad luck with toothpicks, you may try turkey skewers???

Well I may try the toothpick thing with the other avocado, The seed is much
smaller than the one in the pot. It will probably be so small I am
wondering if
I just couldn't find a metal screw, I'd only need one an inch or so long.
Wait
till it breaks in half then try to screw it back together.

Don't screw it back together when it breaks in half... that's how the stem
comes out of the middle of the seed! At that point it's growing into a tree.
My toothpicks often come out. I start with 3 and usually two remaining will
keep it at the right water level.

h-

Agreed. ;-)
Splitting is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing!
It's the first stage to sprouting.

K.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Shystev99

Don't screw it back together when it breaks in half... that's how the stem
comes out of the middle of the seed!

No I meant just to hold it together so it doesn't constantly collapse back into
the glass and sink. I didn't mean very tight just enough to help hold it up out
of the water. Plus the screw would give more support to the toothpicks.Breaking
in half will help it sprout but I don't think it will sprout if its fully
submerged underwater.
Thats why I like the pot thing so far, If it sprouts the seed won't go anywhere
or drown, It may or may not sprout but I don't have to constantly babysit it
and fix it 5 times a day either. Just gonna take a few weeks to tell if it
works.
Steve

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
Avocados from seeds? Any tips? Dwayne Edible Gardening 0 10-02-2004 03:41 AM
Growing Avocados in a Kitchen in Dublin. Peter Nolan United Kingdom 15 21-12-2003 11:32 AM
Avocados rapdor Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
Avocados in black soil (clay) SG1 Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:33 AM