Old 20-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Mihai Cartoaje

Default apples for seedlings

Sherwin Dubren wrote in message ...

Perhaps you missed my point. U. of Minnesota might have planted
hundreds of seeds before they found a winner. Plus, who knows what
other genetic tricks these universities do to control their breeding.

the site,

http://www.honeycrisp.org/block.htm

reads,

"In 1991 the Experimental Station, just north of Sturgeon Bay on
Highway 42, received four seedling trees to plant in their test block.
By 1995 the trees were producing apples of such excellent eating and
storage quality there was no difficulty recommending the variety to
the local apple orchards. Honeycrisps are being harvested and sold at
the Wood Orchards and the Seaquist Orchards, while the Lautenbach
Orchard's Honeycrisp trees are probably a year or so away from fruit
production.'"

Are seeds in the same apple identical or have they used tech from area
51?
Old 20-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Steve

Mihai Cartoaje wrote:
the site,

http://www.honeycrisp.org/block.htm

reads,

"In 1991 the Experimental Station, just north of Sturgeon Bay on
Highway 42, received four seedling trees to plant in their test block.
By 1995 the trees were producing apples of such excellent eating and
storage quality there was no difficulty recommending the variety to
the local apple orchards. Honeycrisps are being harvested and sold at
the Wood Orchards and the Seaquist Orchards, while the Lautenbach
Orchard's Honeycrisp trees are probably a year or so away from fruit
production.'"

Are seeds in the same apple identical or have they used tech from area
51?

The seeds in the same apple are no more identical than seeds from
different apples on the same tree. Each seed was fertilized by a
different grain of pollen.

Thanks for pointing us to that web site. I found it interesting. Of
course, the person who wrote the paragraph that you quoted, misused
the word "seedling". They should have said they received four young
grafted trees. The cross between Honeygold and Macoun that produced
who knows how many trees, one of which was eventually named
Honeycrisp, was done in 1960.
The article seems to center on Door county Wisconsin. (The big
peninsula that sticks out into Lake Michigan at Green Bay.) The four
"seedlings" mentioned were among the first Honeycrisp trees tried in
Wisconsin. This was when the original tree was 30 years old and
Minnesota was ready to start sharing it with the world.

Steve in the Adirondacks ... where I have hopes that Honeycrisp will
do as well as my old Honeygold tree has done.

Old 22-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Mihai Cartoaje

Steve wrote in message ...

course, the person who wrote the paragraph that you quoted, misused
the word "seedling". They should have said they received four young
grafted trees. The cross between Honeygold and Macoun that produced

Could they have been suckers?

I wonder why suckers are not used more often.

Old 22-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Steve

Mihai Cartoaje wrote:
Steve wrote in message ...

course, the person who wrote the paragraph that you quoted, misused
the word "seedling". They should have said they received four young
grafted trees. The cross between Honeygold and Macoun that produced

Could they have been suckers?

I wonder why suckers are not used more often.

Because they have no use.
Suckers from ground level are from the root stock and, unless you
need more rootstock for grafting, they are worthless.
OK, maybe you mean suckers from the one and only original tree.
Sure, that one would be on it's own roots and the sucker would be
just like the parent. Have you ever tried to separate one of those
from the parent apple tree? Try it sometime and I think you will
have your answer.

Steve

Old 22-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Steve

Mihai Cartoaje wrote:
Steve wrote in message ...

course, the person who wrote the paragraph that you quoted, misused
the word "seedling". They should have said they received four young
grafted trees. The cross between Honeygold and Macoun that produced

Could they have been suckers?

I wonder why suckers are not used more often.

Because they have no use.
Suckers from ground level are from the root stock and, unless you
need more rootstock for grafting, they are worthless.
OK, maybe you mean suckers from the one and only original tree.
Sure, that one would be on it's own roots and the sucker would be
just like the parent. Have you ever tried to separate one of those
from the parent apple tree? Try it sometime and I think you will
have your answer.

Steve

apples for seedlings Mihai Cartoaje Edible Gardening 0 11-03-2004 01:12 PM
Apples Bill726 Gardening 1 24-02-2003 05:15 AM
Disfigured bramley apples. Johnathan United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 10:28 AM
Family apples (was Herb usage?) Big Al United Kingdom 1 24-10-2002 06:18 PM
Apples again anton United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 11:44 PM