Old 30-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Elizabeth

Default Fire ants in veggie garden

Anyone know of a fire ant killer that can be used in the vegetable
garden? TIA

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 30-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Katra

In article JDeac.41944$Ft.12741@lakeread02,
"Elizabeth" wrote:

Anyone know of a fire ant killer that can be used in the vegetable
garden? TIA

Amdro. Go easy with it and they will clean it all up.
1 level Tbs. per nest.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Old 30-03-2004, 08:15 PM
zxcvbob

"Elizabeth" wrote:

Anyone know of a fire ant killer that can be used in the vegetable
garden? TIA

Amdro. Go easy with it and they will clean it all up.
1 level Tbs. per nest.

K.

Amdro is not approved for vegetable gardens. I think I might use Logic®
(fenoxycarb) even though it is not approved either because toxicity and
the application rate is so low (1 pound of bait per acre, I think.)
Texas A&M says you can apply the bait outside the garden and let the
worker ants carry it back in.

There is a fire ant bait that is approved for on food crops; it's called
"Extinguish" (s-methoprene), and that's all I know about it.

Dusting the mounds with diatomaceous earth (DE) might kill some ants and
irritate the rest enough that they move the mound. If they move out of
the garden you can use your favorite soil insect killers.

Rotenone is an organic pesticide that is safe and might be effective;
just make sure to control runoff because it is highly toxic to fish.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 30-03-2004, 08:32 PM
Katra

"Elizabeth" wrote:

[...]

What about Pyrethrins?

K.

Old 30-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Sunflower

"Elizabeth" wrote in message
Anyone know of a fire ant killer that can be used in the vegetable
garden? TIA

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Hit the mound repeatedly with a long stick and they'll move it somewhere
else that you can use pesticides. I would not use any of the pesticides
that *work* near my veggies, and the ones that are approved near veggies
won't do the job.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 30-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Bob Mounger

Elizabeth wrote:
Anyone know of a fire ant killer that can be used in the vegetable
garden? TIA

orange peel oil? Poke hokes in the nest & spray in the holes. You might
have to do it twice, but my experience is they'll move. I think it
should be safe to eat....

yeah, this stuff...

https://www23.addr.com/~goldleaf/Orange_Guard.html

Hope this helps,
--
Bob Mounger

Old 31-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Elizabeth

"Bob Mounger" wrote in message
Elizabeth wrote:
Anyone know of a fire ant killer that can be used in the

vegetable
garden? TIA

orange peel oil? Poke hokes in the nest & spray in the holes.

You might
have to do it twice, but my experience is they'll move. I think

it
should be safe to eat....

yeah, this stuff...

https://www23.addr.com/~goldleaf/Orange_Guard.html

Hope this helps,
--
Bob Mounger

Thanks to all for your advice. I thought about just flooding the
garden ( with water ) in the hope that the darn things would move
on. Fire ants are the worst!

Old 31-03-2004, 11:54 AM
James Mayer

Elizabeth wrote:
Anyone know of a fire ant killer that can be used in the

vegetable
garden? TIA

orange peel oil? Poke hokes in the nest & spray in the holes.

You might
have to do it twice, but my experience is they'll move. I think

it
should be safe to eat....

yeah, this stuff...

https://www23.addr.com/~goldleaf/Orange_Guard.html

Hope this helps,
--
Bob Mounger

Thanks to all for your advice. I thought about just flooding the
garden ( with water ) in the hope that the darn things would move
on. Fire ants are the worst!

That would only force them all to the surface where they would
ball up around the queen and then you'd have a real mess.

Old 31-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Pan Ohco

wrote:

Thanks to all for your advice. I thought about just flooding the
garden ( with water ) in the hope that the darn things would move
on. Fire ants are the worst!

Elizabeth try sprinkling instant grits around the mound. It works for
me.
Pan Ohco
Old 31-03-2004, 07:25 PM
zxcvbob

wrote:

Thanks to all for your advice. I thought about just flooding the
garden ( with water ) in the hope that the darn things would move
on. Fire ants are the worst!

Elizabeth try sprinkling instant grits around the mound. It works for
me.
Pan Ohco

What if the neighbors see you buying *instant* grits? Do you think
they'd believe it's to get rid of ants? You might never live it down.

(For those that don't know what I'm talking about, real Southerners will
only use "Old fashioned" grits, or "quick" grits in a pinch. Instant
grits are not very good, and the only reason they are in the stores is
as joke to sell to ignorant Yankees)

-bob