Old 24-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Michelle Ryan

Default fire ants in veggie garden

I started preparing my garden beds for my veggies and have discovered that
both beds have become the home to fire ants. I need a non-toxic (I will be
eating what grows in that soil!) way to get rid of them. Anyone have any
suggestions? This /is/ Texas, so I'm sure someone out there has had this
same problem.

Fire ants....I hate them!

~ Michelle Ryan

Old 24-03-2003, 09:08 PM
animaux

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:53:54 GMT, "Michelle Ryan"
wrote:

I started preparing my garden beds for my veggies and have discovered that
both beds have become the home to fire ants. I need a non-toxic (I will be
eating what grows in that soil!) way to get rid of them. Anyone have any
suggestions? This /is/ Texas, so I'm sure someone out there has had this
same problem.

Fire ants....I hate them!

~ Michelle Ryan

They are actually beneficial as they aerate the soil, but if you want non-toxic in
the way of foodstuff, orange oil is a rather toxic control for the ants. You can buy
it at Walmart or Whole Foods or anywhere these days. Try to buy concentrate and try
for it to be 100% d-limonine (orange oil). Dilute it with water 10:1 water/orange
oil and drench the mound.

You can also use Amdro, which is a bait and relatively non-toxic, but read the whole
label before buying or using.
Old 24-03-2003, 10:08 PM
John T. Jarrett

www.dirtdoctor.com is Howard Garrett's website - organic landscape architect
up Dallas way. He has a couple mixes for fire ants that all include orange
oil and, like everything on his site, are non-toxic.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
. ..

Old 28-03-2003, 10:44 PM
John T. Jarrett

Yes - didn't we just have this conversation?

:)

That website's stuff (and his books - I have Organic Manual by Howard
Garrett) are as non-toxic as recipes go that I've seen. He doesn't, for
instance, give instructions on Sulphur for use.

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com
Web Design - Program - Host - Maintain - Databases - E-Commerce
$9.95 Nationwide Dial-Up ISP new customers welcome...
"animaux" wrote in message
This is a misunderstanding. Orange oil (d-limonine is the active

ingredient) is
indeed toxic. It's not synthetic, but it's a poison.

I only say this because by calling something "organic," or "natural," does

not mean
it is non-toxic. Some of the most toxic pesticides are found in nature.

Orange oil is naturally derived, if pure. If there are surfactant and

other
spreader/sticker or synergists involved, it is no longer natural.

Victoria

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:10:11 -0600, "John T. Jarred"

Old 29-03-2003, 08:20 AM
John T. Jarrett

Sorry, to be more clear...

The chemicals, natural or not, are toxic. Even coffee is toxic.

What I said in my last email was that his recipes are non-toxic. You could
drink his brew for Fire Ants and, with only a teaspoon or two of orange oil
in each gallon, it wouldn't kill you.

Well, that said, maybe the compost tea would be more likely to be deadly (or
at least sickening) from bacterial growing in it so I still wouldn't drink
it myself...

--

John T. Jarrett
http://logontexas.com

"animaux" wrote in message
Yes, and you keep calling things non-toxic. They ARE toxic, but they are
natural. Wording is important when referring to poisons. All poisons are
toxic, even natural ones. Arsenic is natural, but I'd never call it

non-toxic.

Not trying to be argumentative, but for people beginning an organic

program,
these terms are key.

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:36:41 -0600, "John T. Jarrett"

Old 02-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Mr. Chaos 007

You can use neem oil mixed with orange oil. We sell it.

Dave
Gardens of the Ancients Herb Emporium
www.gardensoftheancients.com