Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Guy Bradley

Default Use grass clipping as mulch to keep weeds from growing?

"lbbss" wrote in message
I like the idea of using grass clippings as mulch around my

tomatoes, black
berries, grapes, and fruit trees. I am just not sure if that is
recommended or a good idea? I want to find a cheap way to prevent

weeds
from growing and keep the ground moist.
I heard that the grass clippings can spread disease to the

vegetables.
My dad found the clipping breeding some kind long centipede insect

in the
grass.

I use grass clippings all the time without incident. The key is to use
a layer thick enough to inhibit weeds but not so thick that it
decomposes into a slimy mess. About one inch at a time is my
recommendation. With this, even freshly cut grass can be used. You'll
have to renew it several times over the summer, as grass decomposes.
Earthworms love it - when I dig where I've mulched I always find an
abundance of earthworms.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6