Old 12-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Julie

Default Tomato disease in NC

For the last two years I ended up with leaf blight and because of the small
space I have to put them in the ground I decided to use 18" containers this
year.

To make a long story short my container tomatoes are ending up with cracked
bottoms or they end up being black. I sprayed with daconil this morning but
I am baffled.

I planted them in Miracle Grow potting soil and have them hooked up to a
drip irrigation system that automatically waters them with 1 gal of water
every other day.

All help appreciated. Thanks.

Old 13-05-2004, 05:02 PM
FarmerDill

To make a long story short my container tomatoes are ending up with cracked
bottoms or they end up being black. I sprayed with daconil this morning but
I am baffled.

I planted them in Miracle Grow potting soil and have them hooked up to a
drip irrigation system that automatically waters them with 1 gal of water
every other day.

All help appreciated. Thanks.

Cant't really tell from your description, but if the blossom end of the tomato
shrivels and turns black, that's bloosom end rot (BER) Most of the time it
clears up as the weather warms. Roma type cultivars are worst than others. Lots
of concoctions on the market like Stop Rot but are of limited effect.
Try the tomato problem solver.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ver/index.html
Old 13-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Julie

Thanks for the info. Looks like I've got Blossom End Rot. Now I need to
find some liquid calcium nitrate.

Old 13-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 13 May 2004 19:45:06 GMT, "Julie"
wrote:

"FarmerDill" wrote

..
Cant't really tell from your description, but if the blossom end of the

tomato
shrivels and turns black, that's bloosom end rot (BER) Most of the time it
clears up as the weather warms. Roma type cultivars are worst than others.

Lots
of concoctions on the market like Stop Rot but are of limited effect.
Try the tomato problem solver.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ver/index.html

Thanks for the info. Looks like I've got Blossom End Rot. Now I need to
find some liquid calcium nitrate.

Not necessarily. As the above mentions, BER is usually an early-season
problem that clears up on its own. The most common cause is irregular
watering, but as you say you have it automated, it may just be chance.
Of course, that's no reason to *not* apply calcium. Get something you
can save and use next year as a preventive measure.