Old 13-05-2004, 05:08 AM
C.A. Brice

Default pepper problem

I recently planted some pepper seedlings and the new growth is coming
out all "crinkly" looking....see a photo at

http://home.earthlink.net/~cabrice/pepper.html

This particular pepper is a Poblano but all my others (Bell, Cayenne,
Jalepeno) are doing the same thing. This same thing happened last
year and some plants recovered and some plants didn't. I took great
care this year to plant in optimum soil and don't feel like I'm
watering too much or too little. Can someone help me before all my
pepper die?!
Thanks,
Craig
Old 13-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Loki

il 12 May 2004 20:39:33 -0700, (C.A. Brice) ha
scritto:

I recently planted some pepper seedlings and the new growth is coming
out all "crinkly" looking....see a photo at

http://home.earthlink.net/~cabrice/pepper.html

This particular pepper is a Poblano but all my others (Bell, Cayenne,
Jalepeno) are doing the same thing. This same thing happened last
year and some plants recovered and some plants didn't. I took great
care this year to plant in optimum soil and don't feel like I'm
watering too much or too little. Can someone help me before all my
pepper die?!
Thanks,

Weedkiller can affect seedlings like that. Maybe there's some in the
soil?
--
Cheers,

Old 14-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

In our last fun filled episode, 12 May 2004 20:39:33 -0700,
(C.A. Brice) proclaimed:

I recently planted some pepper seedlings and the new growth is coming
out all "crinkly" looking....see a photo at

http://home.earthlink.net/~cabrice/pepper.html

It looks as though you have some sort of sucking insect. Check
for aphids or whiteflies. Spraying with a soap solution would
take care of the immediate problem, but you might want to look
into some ladybugs or lacewings to control the pest populations.

Here's a nice site for diagnosising problems:
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/pests1.asp

Penelope

"ElissaAnn"
Old 15-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Thomas

Your link would not load for me, however in my experience what you may be
encountering is the transition of the pepper plants suffering "withdrawls"
from their undoubtedly high nitrogen infancy to your garden soil. Lots of
growers raise those seedlings and essentially over feed them, then when you
get them they don't have their "fix" of nitrogen in your soil. Most home
gardeners soils are deficient in fertility, usually as a result of a lack of
organic matter. My soil is heavily amended about every other year with
copious amounts of compost, and even with that I can transplant peppers and
for about the first month I get the "crinkly" leaves, but they soon adjust
and begin to get healthy and produce like crazy. If you are interested I
can provide pics of my peppers in a day or two. The varieties range from
bells to habaneros and were originally planted about 1 month ago and were
about 4 inches tall. You might be surprised.
Tom
om...