Old 20-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Claire Petersky

Default Growing Oyster mushrooms

I have some older oyster mushrooms that are a little too far gone to eat.
I'd like to cultivate them. When I did a google search on the topic, I
either got instructions that were very complicated, or hits for people
selling kits.

I don't care about sure-fire methods, so having something complex is not
worth it. I need something relatively simple that has a chance of working,
as opposed to excellent chance of working.

Any suggestions or URLs you could recommend?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old 20-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Katra

In article . net,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

I have some older oyster mushrooms that are a little too far gone to eat.
I'd like to cultivate them. When I did a google search on the topic, I
either got instructions that were very complicated, or hits for people
selling kits.

I don't care about sure-fire methods, so having something complex is not
worth it. I need something relatively simple that has a chance of working,
as opposed to excellent chance of working.

Any suggestions or URLs you could recommend?

I'm surprised that google did not turn up our conversation here about
the toilet roll method. ;-)

Take two unbleached toilet paper rolls and seal each one in a plastic
ziplock. Pour enough boiling water over each one to just get it nice and
wet.

Let cool, then puree the mushrooms in a sanitized food processor or
blender, (I used bleach to clean mine) and stuff that into the holes of
the toilet rolls.

Keep sealed and in the dark for 6 weeks, then take them out into the
light and punch some holes in the bags.

I used a similar method to this, only I used an ice chest. I got one
flush from that, but later lost my culture to the heat. I had them out
in the greenhouse. This is better done indoors as they fruit best at
between 70 and 80 degrees.

Good luck and keep us posted! :-)

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 20-09-2004, 07:00 PM
Katra

In article ,
Mycos wrote:

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 11:59:38 -0500, Katra
wrote:

In article . net,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

[...]

I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, very cool.
I wonder if anyone has tried this with other species?
Gary Williams

exract "APAP" to reply

Well, with cardboard, a similar method is supposed to work with Wavy
caps...... ;-) (P. cyanescens)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Old 20-09-2004, 07:23 PM
e.hutton

wrote on Monday 20 Sep 2004 5:59 pm:

In article . net,
"Claire Petersky" wrote:

[...]

Warning:- Oyster mushrooms produce a vast quantity of
spores. It is recommended that growing them is *not*
done indoors as inhaling the spores could result in
a nasty fungus infection in your lungs (even producing
mushrooms there!?).

Good luck and keep us posted! :-)

K.

--
Edwin Hutton (use edDOThuttonATlsaevaPOINTuklinuxSTOPnet for email)
....Grant we beseech Thee that, ... during our journeys through the

Old 01-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Bpyboy

you might check out an article in the most recent Mother Earth News. It's like
7 pages of info/sources on growing shrooms. Lots of info on oyster mushrooms,
winecaps, and shitakes.
Old 13-10-2004, 09:14 PM
mimus

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:50:56 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

I have some older oyster mushrooms that are a little too far gone to eat.
I'd like to cultivate them. When I did a google search on the topic, I
either got instructions that were very complicated, or hits for people
selling kits.

I don't care about sure-fire methods, so having something complex is not
worth it. I need something relatively simple that has a chance of working,
as opposed to excellent chance of working.

Any suggestions or URLs you could recommend?

You can grow the dam' things on newspaper, or rather in newspaper-
stuffed cardboard boxes . . . .

Then IIRC you induce fruiting by tossing the boxes in water for a day
or so, and allowing them to drain.

They're (wonderfully) meaty, so I imagine the yield in terms of caps
per pound of newspaper is probably pretty low.

--
..sigzip*

Old 15-10-2004, 10:26 PM
mimus

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:11:45 GMT, Gary Woods
wrote:

(mimus) wrote:

You can grow the dam' things on newspaper, or rather in newspaper-
stuffed cardboard boxes . . . .

Then IIRC you induce fruiting by tossing the boxes in water for a day
or so, and allowing them to drain.

Can you point me at any links? I got some oyster mushrooms at a local
(Hudson Valley, NY) garlic festival, and want very much to grow my own.
I'll likely start with a kit from mushroompeople, but would like to do it
"from scratch."

Well, I lost my library in a housefire several years ago, and only
replaced the basics (Orson K. Miller's _Mushrooms of North America_
and Paul Stamets' _The Psilocybe Mushrooms and Their Allies_), and I
don't remember where the newspaper cultivation was described.

There's a nice collection of messages by some highly respectable types
(eg, Stamets) at

http://www.ecosyn.us/ecocity/Ecosyn/...-mushrooms.txt

The page refers to "www.mycoweb.com", but that URL is now been taken
over by a Dutch IT company-- there is a "mykoweb", now, but that's
North America West Coast oriented.

There's also a fairly dense page at

http://archives.thenook.org/tek/GGuide.html

--