Old 28-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Registered User

Location: essex
Default something's eating my Basil!

Does anyone know what may be eating my basil plants? I planted one out a few weeks back in my herb container & something ate holes in all the leaves so i pulled it up & planted another. I've just noticed holes appearing again & no sign of a culprit. None of my other herbs have been touched. I didn't have this problem last year so why now & why only the basil?
Old 28-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Jim Elbrecht

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:53:44 GMT, callie
wrote:

Does anyone know what may be eating my basil plants? I planted one out a
few weeks back in my herb container & something ate holes in all the
leaves so i pulled it up & planted another. I've just noticed holes
appearing again & no sign of a culprit. None of my other herbs have
been touched. I didn't have this problem last year so why now & why
only the basil?

I have a stinking chipmunk who likes basil & parsley. Later there
will be plenty for both of us, but now he's pulling up seedlings and
nibbling all the leaves.

Slugs when its wet & flea-hoppers when hot & dry are my other basil
pest.

Jim
Old 28-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Bill Litchfield

wrote:

Does anyone know what may be eating my basil plants? I planted one out a
few weeks back in my herb container & something ate holes in all the
leaves so i pulled it up & planted another. I've just noticed holes
appearing again & no sign of a culprit. None of my other herbs have
been touched. I didn't have this problem last year so why now & why
only the basil?

I have a stinking chipmunk who likes basil & parsley. Later there
will be plenty for both of us, but now he's pulling up seedlings and
nibbling all the leaves.

Slugs when its wet & flea-hoppers when hot & dry are my other basil
pest.

Jim

I have a real problem with earwigs chewing my Basil. Take a flashlight out
around mid-night and you'll see them climbing all around the Basil. A
hand-vac sucks em up...otherwise, it's Rotenone/Pyrethreim spray.

Regards,
Bill

Old 29-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Bill Litchfield said:

I have a real problem with earwigs chewing my Basil. Take a flashlight out
around mid-night and you'll see them climbing all around the Basil. A
hand-vac sucks em up...otherwise, it's Rotenone/Pyrethreim spray.

If the earwigs are out, a direct hit with soapy water is all you need to slay
them. Spraying their refuges (cracks and crevices, wood chips, and the like)
with soapy water will cause them to boil out and die, too.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 29-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Brigitte J.

s.com...
--
callie

I'm having this problem too, but it's only my beans and nothing else in the
garden. I put a powdered insecticide, "Sevin" on them, but it hasn't kept
whatever it is from munching on my bean's leaves.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brigitte