Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Jackee

Default Gophers!

I walked out to my pretty garden this morning to discover either a gopher or
a mole had dug a huge hole in the back of my garden, covering some of my
squash plants with a heaping pile of dirt!
Any tips to rid of this creature?

Old 06-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Ray

"Jackee" not available wrote in message
I walked out to my pretty garden this morning to discover either a

gopher or
a mole had dug a huge hole in the back of my garden, covering some of

my
squash plants with a heaping pile of dirt!
Any tips to rid of this creature?

Tips? Sure! Get a Rodenator, and you'll deal with those pesky
burrowing rodents once and for all. It's humane, too.

http://www.bpnews.com/htmlfile/magzi...b04/020204.htm
http://www.rodenator.com/welcome
http://www.brentmorrison.com/0107Gopher_gun.htm

Do a google search on "Rodenator" for more information.

Ray Drouillard

Old 06-07-2004, 06:02 AM
---pete---

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:25:17 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

http://www.rodenator.com/welcome

-------
I went to this link above and my inital reaction to
the device was that this is a joke, right?

You have to watch the video to see what this
thing does. It's for real.

Unfortunately I have more of a groundhog and
squirrel problem this year.

Happy Gardening!

---pete---

Old 06-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Jackee said:

I walked out to my pretty garden this morning to discover either a gopher or
a mole had dug a huge hole in the back of my garden, covering some of my
squash plants with a heaping pile of dirt!
Any tips to rid of this creature?

A huge hole under the squash sounds more like a groundhog (AKA woodchuck).
Not a promising sign for your garden. Now is the time that the young ones are
starting out on their own. They are much easier to trap than the grown ones.

http://www.bugspray.com/articles99/woodchucks.html

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 06-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Steve Calvin

wrote:

http://www.rodenator.com/welcome

-------
I went to this link above and my inital reaction to
the device was that this is a joke, right?

You have to watch the video to see what this
thing does. It's for real.

Unfortunately I have more of a groundhog and
squirrel problem this year.

Happy Gardening!

---pete---

According to that site they have closed their doors and filed for
bankruptcy in 2003. At $1900 a pop I guess I can see why...

--
Steve

Old 06-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Ray

wrote:

http://www.rodenator.com/welcome

-------
I went to this link above and my inital reaction to
the device was that this is a joke, right?

You have to watch the video to see what this
thing does. It's for real.

Unfortunately I have more of a groundhog and
squirrel problem this year.

Happy Gardening!

---pete---

I don't have a gopher problem, but that thing makes me *want* to have a
gopher problem. If we had gopher problems around here, I would get one
and hire myself out as a gopher exterminator. Going to work ought to be
fun.

Ray

Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 PM

ya know...sometimes i just don't feel like being humane to these critters
(which includes moles, voles, gophers, ANY burrowing 4-legged bugger)...like
when they ate 450 lily bulbs last year just cuz the little *******s couldn't
use their long gnashing front teeth to bite their way through the 4
inch-thick ice sheet covering the gardens. it's at times like that that i
feel like...like....ooooh!!!!! (sniff) but i just can't. (soB)

Old 06-07-2004, 11:02 PM
jim book

a few years ago the local radio "friendly trapper" advised to use juicy
fruit gum. a small (i use about 1/3 stick) piece in their tunnels will rid
them. not very humane, they can't pass it through their system and they
can't spit it up. i have used it and it does work. hth jim book

Old 07-07-2004, 05:02 AM
belly

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 19:03:04 -0600 in
, "Jackee" not available graced
the world with this thought:

I walked out to my pretty garden this morning to discover either a gopher or
a mole had dug a huge hole in the back of my garden, covering some of my
squash plants with a heaping pile of dirt!
Any tips to rid of this creature?

There's a euphorbia commonly called "gopher plant" that you can put
around the area, the gophers go to the neighbors' house.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Bruce Yates

Over the last 15 years I have dealt with hundreds of gophers on my
half acre lot. There are only two surefire ways to get rid of them.

The first is gopher traps. You must use two traps. About $5 in any
feed or farm store.

Find the tunnel by pushing a long rod or screwdriver into the ground
between two mounds until you feel it give. That will locate the
tunnel. Use post hole diggers to dig down and expose the tunnel. You
may have to use the screwdriver to scrape dirt away from the sides to
locate the holes. There will be at least two, one from each direction.
Place a trap in each and cover big hole with leaves or something that
will let a little light in. Be sure to tie the traps to some sort of
stake (tomato stakes work well). A big gohper can carry a trap off or
into the tunnel.

The second is to expose the tunnel in the same way and put a couple of
tablespoons of Drano (lye) in the tunnel and cover back up. They get
it on their feet and it kills them when they lick it off. If you do
this make sure to be very careful if you have pets. Don't want any
exposed that they can get hold of.

Moles are a different story and use a completely different trap, a
sharpshooter type and more expensive.

You flatten the run (seen on top of ground) and place the trap over
the flattens spot. When the mole comes along and pushes the run back
up it will set the trap. Much more difficult than gophers but
effective with practice.

Since you are seeing dirt mounds on top of the ground around your
plants, I would bet it is gophers. They look like big fire ant mounds.

Bruce

Old 08-07-2004, 10:02 PM

i've tried the chewing gum route...no success. tried moth balls. (yawn)

a method they use in the back beyond hills of central oregon is..you go to a
thrift store and buy the old type of radio (with transistors) and bring it
home. fill the radio with the proper batteries and then tune it to a
station that isn't there...in other words, set the dial to "white sound."
then tie a rope or string or even dental floss to the radio and lower it
down into the hole. the "white noise" is supposed to not only drive 'em
crazy but also drive them far away enough from your property that even your
neighbour's gophers, moles, voles, ANY burrowing critter away!!!

i gotta tell you...it sure worked in oregon...doesn't seem to work here in
new hamster, though (sniff); perhaps the east coast critters are enured to
the sound??

Old 09-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Al Reid

I had a horrible problem with groundhogs. I tried all of the tricks I could find and no luck. They kept digging under my fence
and into the garden. Out of frustration, I cut several hundred stakes about a foot long and drove them into the ground at the fence
line leaving a 1" gap between. They would dig a while then move on, dig a while... After a few days, they just gave up. That was
over a year ago.

Last weekend I started to notice that something was eating my lettuce. The next day it was me beans. I couldn't figure out how
they were getting in. No holes in the fence and no tunnels under the fence. The third day I noticed that the tops of my tomatoes
were eaten, and they are 4' high. I then noticed a pile of deer droppings. Great, after 2+ years with a 4' high fence, the deer
decide to jump over it. So, two evenings ago, I put up a 7-1/2 foot high deer fence around my 30 x 45 garden.

Sometimes I wonder why I even try to grow anything! Between the cost of materials and time, it's probably cheaper to just but the
veggies. However, at harvest time (assuming I have anything left by then), I will know it was worth it.

--
Al Reid

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know
for sure that just ain't so." --- Mark Twain

Old 06-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Yates
Over the last 15 years I have dealt with hundreds of gophers on my
half acre lot. There are only two surefire ways to get rid of them.

The first is gopher traps. You must use two traps. About $5 in any
feed or farm store.
[/color]
I have a big problem with gophers all over my 2.5 acre lot. Most of this acreage is wild. I have not obsessed about them until lately, as they have been slowly advancing toward a landscaped turf area around my home. The mounds are now only a few feet way from the turf. I bought traps recently and tried to follow the instructions in placing them. However, the tunnels don't seem to be wide enough to fit the traps inside. I tried hollowing out enough so that I could force them in, but the narrow tunnel size makes this a very tight squeeze. Anyway, I covered the excavation with a board and waited. After a few days in the ground I uncovered them to find the entire area I had excavated buried in dirt that the varmits had pushed up into it, and the traps were unsprung. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:15 AM
Bruce Yates

You really should check them several times a day. Every now and then
that also happens to me. Sometimes I put traps in the two tunnels only
to figure out they had maybe three and came in through the third. Just
have to keep trying. I had one just friday that I had been trying to
trap for two days. Tunnels were really small so I figured he must be a
little one. I finally figured out the highest point of his system and
put a garden hose in and flooded. Luckily after about 15 minutes he
had to come out and a shovel did the trick. This won't always work.

You have to be persistant. New gophers will come in and take over
tunnel systems of the dead ones. I have always placed the dead ones
back in the tunnel and that seems to discourage them for a while.

Try the Drano if all else fails. Just be extra careful if you have
pets.

Bruce

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 05:57:24 +0100, rfcdvc45
wrote:

Bruce Yates Wrote:
[...]

Lawn pests (moles an gophers) Jack Gray Gardening 3 22-02-2005 02:29 PM
moles or gophers? VB Lawns 2 25-08-2003 11:02 AM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 5 27-06-2003 05:32 PM
Gophers! Aargh! amjordan Texas 0 25-06-2003 06:38 AM
gophers Lacreta Gardening 3 31-03-2003 05:32 AM