Old 24-07-2004, 03:36 PM
Ray

Default Help...!!!

Go find some hot pepper powder and sprinkle the plants liberally with
it. Also, you might try feeding the squirrels something they will like
better.

Or, you can use a .410. ;-)

Ray

"tom hooper" wrote in message
Squirrels attacking my tomatoes. Even eating the green ones. Tried
mothballs. Yeah right. Trapped and released one. Two more showed up
this am. any ideas ASAP. I haven't had a ripe tomato in a week and

I've
got 15 plants.
VR,
Tom

Old 25-07-2004, 03:00 PM
nutNhoney

Ray wrote:

Go find some hot pepper powder and sprinkle the plants liberally with
it. Also, you might try feeding the squirrels something they will like
better.

I tried hot pepper powder to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeders.
Dangs things sat bold upright and laughed their butts off at me
"while" munching on the newly flavored seed!

I bought 2 Pestacators (sp) and one ultrasonic device for in the house
for a rodent problem. The Pestacators plug into the wall and make a
pulsing with the wires (?) and the ultrasonic device emits noise. One
of the Pestacators also has an ultrasonic component. After I bought
these devices, I did a little research and despite the general theory
they don't work, they are proving to be effective for us. No rodents
even the tree rodents anywhere near the house. I feed the blue jays
peanuts every morning. I've watched the tree rodents come as far as the
sidewalk then scatter the other way. They don't come into the yard!
Either they don't like the rodent devices or they don't like the
peanuts. My guess is on the rodent devices.

Or, you can use a .410. ;-)

DH component of one of our friend couples shot a squirrel as it was
going up a tree. Seems he was ticked at the squirrel eating through his
garden. Head was off but rest of body stuck to the tree with the claws
dug straight into the bark. DW component was not impressed! DH
component used a shovel to pry the carcus off the tree while the
tramatized kids cried and DW yelled. Not good ;-) You'd be best to use
a canon and make sure you get all of the tree rat to save your family
from going through such a Kodak moment!

Ray

Old 27-07-2004, 12:51 PM
Dwayne

I put up a squirrel feeder filled with corn mixed 50/50 with sunflower seeds
in plain view if what I was trying to keep them out of (the bird feeder).
It worked as long as the squirrel feeder contained goodies. When it got
empty, they were at the bird feeder. Might work around your gardens also.

Dwayne

Old 27-07-2004, 11:02 PM
tom hooper

No. Feeding them doesn't help. It just attracts more. Moth balls
don't work, so now I will try hot pepper. Of course I have no red
tomatoes left to get ripe, and three of my plants are dead. But I did
live trap and relocate 4 of the critters per state rep. guidance.
Worked really well. The rats love apples better than tomatoes. Boy,
are they sure mean and nasty, and they stink...!!!!!!
Thanks.

Old 30-07-2004, 02:53 AM
Glenna Rose

writes:

They are squirrel recipes.

I have a friend that would probably eat it if I got the dratted thing.

Now, if you can come up with a way to get that apricot eating squirrel.
Maybe you need to find a bait that tastes even better to him than
apricots.

The problem is he *doesn't* eat the apricots. A herd of squirrels
couldn't have eaten all he has destroyed. (Do squirrels have herds,
flocks, litters, what?) He just takes a bite out and drops it all, cot
and bite. This past week, he has started taking the pit, or it seems like
it as there are apricot halves on the ground. Of course, there are also a
good supply of pits as well so he may be just pulling them apart and
dropping the entire fruit.

I really wouldn't mind sharing, because if he were eating them, there
would have been plenty for us all. It's the total waste that is angering.
That and the horrible mess under the tree which will now be attracting
hornets, ripe apricots all over. Because so many are in pieces, it's
impossible to pick it all up off the ground. :-(

Also, if he ate them, he'd make a good apricot sauteed squirrel dish! g

Or, there is always the motion activated sprinkler mentioned
in another thread. ;-)

If I thought it would work, I'd do it. He doesn't like water; if I could
stand out there with the garden hose all day, I'd have apricots. However,
the sprinkler, because of the tree movement (wind in the branches) would
be set off all the time. Even my light goes off constantly because of it
and it's "aimed" low to try to avoid the problem.

Thank you for the reminder, however, about the sprinkler. A friend told
me about a noise thing that I will try if I have a good crop next year,
but it's too late for this year. As I type, the only cots left are in the
top of the tree, beyond my reach. :-(

It would have been nice to be able to take some to FISH, they are so very
good and not that common in our region (Portland, Oregon, area) since our
climate is not the best for pit fruit. It would have been a nice treat
for folks. Maybe next year. Does this mean I should hope for another
cold winter?

I'm trying to be grateful he's not in the garden. However, if he were,
I'd have used a shotgun on him a long time ago. Well, maybe not, but
would have a better chance of getting him into a trap. At least I can
dream.g I've even set the trap on on the roof hoping he'd go in it
there, but no, he doesn't like walnut halves, peanuts (raw or roasted),
peanut butter, sunflower seeds, or corn.

Glenna
becoming a squirrel detestor
and hoping this one doesn't
bring youngsters to teach them!

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM