Old 31-07-2004, 02:36 AM
simy1

Default Slow ripening

"Bill Moats" wrote in message ...
Things are slow ripening here in NE Oregon with the exception of Stupice
which has been producing since July 1. Usually Stupice starts producing in
the second half of June.

ah. I buy everything from Territorial, which is in OR, and Stupice is
my early season mainstay. It is in full sun in SE MI, but it just
started producing, and in fact after five Stupices I picked the first
Costoluto and the first San Marzano (both main season toms). The Big
Boys are not far behind. The Brandywine and (much to my suprise) the
yellow pear are well behind.

I wonder why the Stupice do not get red tomatoes a full month ahead of
the pack, as they are supposed to do. They have not been anywhere
close to 40F, ever.

Old 31-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Mary McHugh

Ken Anderson wrote:
There was some mention at the poker table last night about how the tomatoes
around here look good, but aren't ripening. I mean, mine are still green
without a trace of orange yet. Anyone else noticing a slow ripening of
tomatoes this year? I'm in northern Ohio.

I've been pulling in tomatoes onesie-twosie since mid-July. Today I
have about 8 or 10 that I picked. This is much earlier than last year
which was cooler and wetter than this summer (if you can believe that!).

After reporting disappointing growth for my eggplant, about 60% of them
suddenly started growing and now they're starting to produce too, even
if the fruit is somewhat small. My peppers and chiles are fantastic. I
have some red cayenne and the golden summers are just LOADED with peppers.

I'm in southwestern CT (zone 6).

Mary

Old 01-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Jack1000

I've been picking cherry tomatoes in NYC for weeks, but all of my other
tomatoes decided to wait and ripen over this weekend.
Everybody is invited for spaghetti with my special scauce in Brooklyn!
Yay!
Jack
Old 01-08-2004, 05:44 PM
EvelynMcH

I've been picking cherry tomatoes in NYC for weeks, but all of my other
tomatoes decided to wait and ripen over this weekend.
Everybody is invited for spaghetti with my special scauce in Brooklyn!

I'm finally getting tomatoes - and I'm making "scauce" too, but I'm strictly
limiting the guest book. Don't want to spoil the neighbors.

(After picking a grand total of six tomatoes all summer, I picked a pint basket
of them yesterday, and there is at least twice as much to be picked this
morning. And, while I have no idea what these volunteers are, these suckers are
GOOD, golf-ball-sized morsels of YUMMMMM)

-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein

Old 02-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Steve Calvin

EvelynMcH wrote:
I've been picking cherry tomatoes in NYC for weeks, but all of my other
tomatoes decided to wait and ripen over this weekend.
Everybody is invited for spaghetti with my special scauce in Brooklyn!

I'm finally getting tomatoes - and I'm making "scauce" too, but I'm strictly
limiting the guest book. Don't want to spoil the neighbors.

(After picking a grand total of six tomatoes all summer, I picked a pint basket
of them yesterday, and there is at least twice as much to be picked this
morning. And, while I have no idea what these volunteers are, these suckers are
GOOD, golf-ball-sized morsels of YUMMMMM)

-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein

Take 5 pounds of 'em and make tomato wine. I just sampled some that I
made three years ago. Man it's tasty.

--
Steve

Re(2): Slow ripening Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 02-08-2004 05:59 AM
[IBC] Full Moon = Slow List John NJ Bonsai 3 20-03-2003 05:56 PM
OT - Read em slow RichToyBox Ponds 0 04-03-2003 02:28 AM
Slow Germinating Tomatoes? Fleemo Gardening 5 03-03-2003 07:15 AM
Schultz "Multi Cote" Slow Release Rose & Flower Chow Shiva Roses 6 18-02-2003 07:03 PM