Old 29-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Ken Anderson

Default Slow ripening

There was some mention at the poker table last night about how the tomatoes
around here look good, but aren't ripening. I mean, mine are still green
without a trace of orange yet. Anyone else noticing a slow ripening of
tomatoes this year? I'm in northern Ohio.

Old 29-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Steve Calvin

Ken Anderson wrote:

There was some mention at the poker table last night about how the tomatoes
around here look good, but aren't ripening. I mean, mine are still green
without a trace of orange yet. Anyone else noticing a slow ripening of
tomatoes this year? I'm in northern Ohio.

Update NY here (1/2 way between NYC and Albany) and I'm experiencing
the same exact thing.

--
Steve

Old 29-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Ray

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
In article ,
Ken Anderson wrote:
There was some mention at the poker table last night about how the

tomatoes
around here look good, but aren't ripening. I mean, mine are still

green
without a trace of orange yet. Anyone else noticing a slow ripening

of
tomatoes this year? I'm in northern Ohio.

Ditto here in east central NJ. a couple of small ones have turned
yellow and soft. I've eaten these and they taste very good. It hasn't
been near 90 yet. A couple few 80 80's days and very cool nights. It
was 65 last night and been in the 50's recently.
--
Al Dykes

I have heard that tomatoes ripen best on warm nights. There haven't
been too many of those lately. It must have something to do with global
warming ;-)

Ray

Old 29-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Ken Anderson wrote:
There was some mention at the poker table last night about how the tomatoes
around here look good, but aren't ripening. I mean, mine are still green
without a trace of orange yet. Anyone else noticing a slow ripening of
tomatoes this year? I'm in northern Ohio.

Ditto here in east central NJ. a couple of small ones have turned
yellow and soft. I've eaten these and they taste very good. It hasn't
been near 90 yet. A couple few 80 80's days and very cool nights. It
was 65 last night and been in the 50's recently.
--
Al Dykes
-----------
adykes at p a n i x . c o m

Old 29-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Puckdropper

I've been pulling in ripe ones... I'd hate it if my whole garden full
of tomatoes ripened at once... We have to have time to eat some of them
first!

(To make a long story short, we started plants, the frost got them, and
then we got more plants, and I had started seeds, and they're all now
growing. 14 ripe tomatoes so far, with more turning.)

Puckdropper
North-Eastern Indiana

Old 29-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Kate ......

Ken Anderson wrote:

There was some mention at the poker table last night about how the tomatoes
around here look good, but aren't ripening. I mean, mine are still green
without a trace of orange yet. Anyone else noticing a slow ripening of
tomatoes this year? I'm in northern Ohio.

We just got back from visiting relatives in Ohio last week. I carried some
green tomatoes from my son's garden. Ate the first ripe one at lunch today. He
still has not had a ripe one there. Kate

Old 29-07-2004, 06:42 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Ken Anderson" wrote:

There was some mention at the poker table last night about how the tomatoes
around here look good, but aren't ripening. I mean, mine are still green
without a trace of orange yet. Anyone else noticing a slow ripening of
tomatoes this year? I'm in northern Ohio.

I thought maybe it was the plants I bought this year.

I grew a Sweet 100(grape tomatoes) which is now a 6-7' tall bush and
they just starting turning in the last week. I figured they would have
turned by late june. I've had green tomatoes on that plant since early
june. Most(80%) of the ripes are split on that plant. Maybe
sweet100's are prone to splitting. I don't think I'll grow it next
year.

Mine and my neighbor's beefsteaks look good. I had two go ripe a week
ago. Several days ago a few of the lower branches started blushing.
One or two almost there--1-3 days more.

My Roma looks like a lost cause. It is still only a foot and a half
high. The Beafsteak next to it, transplanted the same day is 6'+ and
growing. My healthy kick seeds which I planted AS SEEDS in May are
bigger and healthier and bearing fruit. If I wasn't worrried about
disturbing roots of the surrounding plants I 'd dig the Roma up and
plant the Healthy kicks in the ground instead of the tiny bowl they
are in.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/royalfrazier/

Old 29-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Blues Ma

Ken Anderson wrote:

There was some mention at the poker table last night about how the tomatoes
around here look good, but aren't ripening.* I mean, mine are still green
without a trace of orange yet.* Anyone else noticing a slow ripening of
tomatoes this year?* I'm in northern Ohio.

North central Illinois has had way too many cool nights for them to ripen.
All still green here.

Ma
*
*

Old 30-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Bill Moats

Things are slow ripening here in NE Oregon with the exception of Stupice
which has been producing since July 1. Usually Stupice starts producing in
the second half of June.

"Glenna Rose" wrote in message
news:fc.003d094101ced8df3b9aca00cfdff1ab.1ced8e4@p mug.org...
writes:

I have heard that tomatoes ripen best on warm nights. There haven't
been too many of those lately. It must have something to do with global
warming ;-)

Actually, it does. That green globe hasn't been getting warm enough to
ripen to a beautiful red.g

Glenna

Old 30-07-2004, 03:55 PM
EvelynMcH

Just picked my first ripe ones this week here in Bergen Co., NJ. It's just not
hot enough for them to get ripe, I think. I've got plants that have had fruit
on them for almost two months and should have started ripening at least two or
three weeks ago.

Most of my plants are almost 7 feet tall. I have no idea what exactly they are,
since they are volunteers from last year's crop of Sweet 100's. They look like
grape-types, but they are the size of golf balls or larger. Imagine a cluster
of five or seven or more of those all over the plants. I'm tying them up with
butcher string because I think they are going to get damaged from their own
weight if I don't use something relatively soft - forget about twist ties! The
vines themselves are thick, thicker than anything I've ever grown, including
Beefsteaks. Wierd plants for sure.

FWIW, we also have the mutant sunflowers from seeds I've saved over the past
six seasons - they get over 15 feet tall, and branch out like a tree,
constantly producing new, but smaller flowers in the apex of the branches and
leaves. Between the tomatoes and the sunflowers and the giant zuchinni (also,
strangely, unproductive this year), my yard looks like the rainforest...

Now I'm worried that it will hit 90 for a few days and I'll be up to my armpits
in tomatoes - or red golfballs if they don't taste as good as they look...[g]

-=epm=-

In matters of truth and justice,
there is no difference between large and small problems,
for issues concerning the treatment of people are all the same.
- Albert Einstein

Re(2): Slow ripening Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 0 02-08-2004 05:59 AM
[IBC] Full Moon = Slow List John NJ Bonsai 3 20-03-2003 05:56 PM
OT - Read em slow RichToyBox Ponds 0 04-03-2003 02:28 AM
Slow Germinating Tomatoes? Fleemo Gardening 5 03-03-2003 07:15 AM
Schultz "Multi Cote" Slow Release Rose & Flower Chow Shiva Roses 6 18-02-2003 07:03 PM