Old 21-10-2004, 10:29 PM
dave nuckles

Default Drying Habanero peppers

I've had a good batch of Habanero peppers this year and want to dry
some out to use as a seasoning throughout the year. I tried hanging
them from a string in the window (and it's been warm out) but most are
turning a dark brown from the inside which I fear may be rot rather
than drying. Can someone enlighten me as to the most efficient method
for drying? Would the brown ones be no good at this time?

thanks D-
Old 21-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Craig Watts

thanks D-

Dave,

I've been drying cayanne peppers strung with a needle and fishing line
for years. Worn't work with the habaneros. I'd recommend a dehydrator
from Wally World. They are about $40.00 and will open doors you have
never thought about.

At least cut the tops off and run the seeds out, cut them up. I've
been putting mine on my smoker grill this year and making a kind of
habanero chipole. That works well but locks in a smoke flavor you may
or may not want.

I would toss the brown ones as I beleive IMHO they have too much water
in the to just hang. You can try a fresh batch in the oven on low heat
on a cookie sheet but that is just terrible inefficient.

Gook luck.

Craig

Old 22-10-2004, 01:49 AM
GA Pinhead

Dave:

I put them on cake cooling racks in the oven, with stem on, at 180 for a
couple of hours. Or a food dehydrator as was suggested.

As far as the brown ones, cut a couple open, any mold? Toss them.

Be careful when you crush them. One of *our* favorite hab stories is when
my wife was using the food processor to flake them. Worked great!

She then put cream on her face since she forgot to do that after her shower.

It only took an hour or so for her to be able to open her eyes... She was
very careful about her hands, it was the fine powder that had settled on her
face.

Finally some good pepper threads!

John!

om...

Old 23-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Charles Quinn

In article , "GA Pinhead" wrote:
Dave:

I put them on cake cooling racks in the oven, with stem on, at 180 for a
couple of hours. Or a food dehydrator as was suggested.

As far as the brown ones, cut a couple open, any mold? Toss them.

Be careful when you crush them. One of *our* favorite hab stories is when
my wife was using the food processor to flake them. Worked great!

She then put cream on her face since she forgot to do that after her shower.

It only took an hour or so for her to be able to open her eyes... She was
very careful about her hands, it was the fine powder that had settled on her
face.

Does she have long hair, have a daughter? Then have her rub a womans hair in
her eyes.

Did a demo for some friends one time, rub cayenne into my eye. Rubbed womans
hair in my eye, pain and redness went away immediately.

Doe NOT work with the hair of men.

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Old 24-10-2004, 05:37 AM
Craig Watts

You need to hang out at alt.binaries.food

You'll see some pepper threads there.

Craig

Old 24-10-2004, 05:37 AM
Craig Watts

You need to hang out at alt.binaries.food

Old 05-12-2004, 04:15 AM
Gary Flynn

dave nuckles wrote:
I've had a good batch of Habanero peppers this year and want to dry
some out to use as a seasoning throughout the year. I tried hanging
them from a string in the window (and it's been warm out) but most are
turning a dark brown from the inside which I fear may be rot rather
than drying. Can someone enlighten me as to the most efficient method
for drying? Would the brown ones be no good at this time?

thanks D-

I know this isn't what you asked for but I gut
them, slice them, and freeze them. They're almost
as good as fresh.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:45 PM
FarmerDill

Habernero are too fleshy touse the air dying method. A dehydrator works nicely
but they can be dried in an oven at low heat.