Old 15-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Bert Hyman

Default What's killing our rosemary plant?

We've had a rosemary plant in a pot by the window in the kitchen for
several years. This fall the leaves started turning brown and after a
while the plant was effectively dead.

We bought a replacement a few weeks ago and it's already going through
exactly the same process.

We thought a fungus might have gotten the first plant so we used new dirt
and a new pot, so the obvious routes of contamination were avoided.

Here's a link to a bad picture of the new plant, but maybe you can make
something out:

http://www.visi.com/~bert

Any ideas what's going on?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old 16-12-2004, 12:01 AM
Thomas

How often and how much are you watering? What size pot is it in? Far more
people over water indoor plants than under water them. You might try
putting 2 or 3 tablespoons of regular old cornmeal on the soil and water it
in. It is a natural anti-fungus and will also provide some mild
fertilization. By the way, have you fertilized it after putting it in the
new soil?
One more minor thing...could you size those pictures down just a little bit?
Thomas
om...

Old 16-12-2004, 12:21 AM
Bert Hyman

In "Thomas"
scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com wrote:

How often and how much are you watering? What size pot is it in? Far
more people over water indoor plants than under water them. You might
try putting 2 or 3 tablespoons of regular old cornmeal on the soil and
water it in. It is a natural anti-fungus and will also provide some
mild fertilization. By the way, have you fertilized it after putting
it in the new soil?

It's in a tera-cotta pot that's about 7" tall and 7" at the mouth. The
plant was fertilized once at planting (my wife did it; I don't know what
she uses), and it's watered once a week.

One more minor thing...could you size those pictures down just a little
bit? Thomas

I thought that might be a problem, but this is the first time I've tried
something like this. I suppose the utilities for the camera have something
to do that.

om...

Old 16-12-2004, 07:15 AM
Katra

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

In "Thomas"
scythicon311@yahoo(dot)com wrote:

How often and how much are you watering? What size pot is it in? Far
more people over water indoor plants than under water them. You might
try putting 2 or 3 tablespoons of regular old cornmeal on the soil and
water it in. It is a natural anti-fungus and will also provide some
mild fertilization. By the way, have you fertilized it after putting
it in the new soil?

It's in a tera-cotta pot that's about 7" tall and 7" at the mouth. The
plant was fertilized once at planting (my wife did it; I don't know what
she uses), and it's watered once a week.

Never fertilize during the winter!

One more minor thing...could you size those pictures down just a little
bit? Thomas

I thought that might be a problem, but this is the first time I've tried
something like this. I suppose the utilities for the camera have something
to do that.

lol Yeah, I just got my first digicam and noted right away that the
pictures were huge! Over 500K and really big. :-)

I'm downsizing mine using photoshop and getting posting pictures down to
around 150 K.

Much easier to view. :-)

Your digicam should have resolution settings too. You can take a "lower
quality" picture to bring the size down as well if you do not have a
graphics program to manipulate it with.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...