Old 14-04-2005, 09:29 PM
The Ranger

Default Garlic and Heirloom Tomato Plants.

A long time ago, in a land my parents owned, my dad showed me the benefits
of planting some plants with others. It's one of the few lessons that I
didn't blow off during my rebellious teenage angst. Unfortunately, due to
aging and non-use of such a wealth of free knowledge, I no longer remember
whether planting garlic with tomatoes is beneficial or disastrous. If I
planted some cloves of garlic with my new batch of heirlooms (five beef
steak and three Brandywine), will the tomatoes pick up and be dominated by
the garlic? Is it even worth planting garlic with the plants to prevent
insect predation?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

Old 15-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"The Ranger" wrote:

A long time ago, in a land my parents owned, my dad showed me the benefits
of planting some plants with others. It's one of the few lessons that I
didn't blow off during my rebellious teenage angst. Unfortunately, due to
aging and non-use of such a wealth of free knowledge, I no longer remember
whether planting garlic with tomatoes is beneficial or disastrous. If I
planted some cloves of garlic with my new batch of heirlooms (five beef
steak and three Brandywine), will the tomatoes pick up and be dominated by
the garlic? Is it even worth planting garlic with the plants to prevent
insect predation?

Many thanks.

The Ranger

According to this chart on companion planting, you should be ok with the
garlic near the tomatoes.

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/complant.html

marcella
Old 15-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Gary Woods

Marcella Peek wrote:

According to this chart on companion planting, you should be ok with the
garlic near the tomatoes

Be aware that garlic is a poor competitor, so you will get undersized bulbs
if it's shaded/crowded by the tomatoes. Unhappy garlic tends to be smaller
but stronger, so it's not _all_ bad!

Old 15-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Steve Calvin

Gary Woods wrote:

Marcella Peek wrote:

According to this chart on companion planting, you should be ok with the
garlic near the tomatoes

Be aware that garlic is a poor competitor, so you will get undersized bulbs
if it's shaded/crowded by the tomatoes. Unhappy garlic tends to be smaller
but stronger, so it's not _all_ bad!

My garlic is by tomatoes all the time. The garlic comes to term in
June/July so it's not an issue for me. My tomatoes are on the eastern
side of the garden and the garlic is on the west (I have a small "strip"
garden) and they both get enough sun to do well.

--
Steve
Old 18-04-2005, 09:19 PM
John Savage

"The Ranger" writes:
whether planting garlic with tomatoes is beneficial or disastrous. If I

You might be interested in something I wrote on this very topic to another
newsgroup only yesterday; here it is:

On a radio gardening program, an old gardener rang in with this tip for
combatting fruit fly in tomatoes. He hammers in a sturdy stake and plants
two tomato seedlings alongside it at Winter's end. At the same time, he
has some garlic growing nearby. By the time the tomatoes are fruiting the
garlic is ready so he pulls it up and hangs it on the stake. I think he
said 4 corms per stake. He reckons that with the garlic there he has no
trouble with fruit fly in his tomatoes. Might be worth a try.

I didn't include r.g.e in the groups originally because I don't know
whether the US or UK have the fruit fly menace. These are like small
mosquitoes that lay their eggs in the fruit and these hatch to become
grubs that destroy the fruit from the inside.

Old 21-04-2005, 04:39 AM
Thomas

Well,
I'm in Texas, and that means planting garlic the first week of October so it
will be growing underground during the winter and shoot up stalks in the
spring. Planting garlic in the spring doesn't give the whole bulb time to
develop. Where I live the last average frost is about March 21st, so that
means that the tomatoes won't go in the ground until April, so by then our
garlic is about a foot tall. The garlic is well established with little
competition from the tomatoes. The garlic will probably help with pest
control by virtue of being in close proximity to the tomatoes. The garlic
is usually ready to come out by late June to mid July and the tomatoes (if
we are lucky) will continue to produce (indeterminate varieties) well into
August or even September before we get some sort of fusarium wilt

Thomas

Old 22-04-2005, 06:56 AM
Endangered Bucket Farmer

In article
,
says...
"The Ranger" writes:
[...]

Fruit flies are a very serious threat in the US. Even
resulting in government-sponsored spraying over
residential areas, from helicopters. I vaguely
remember this going on the the Los Angeles area in
about 1990.

Also apparently a big problem in Florida, for citrus
orchards.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Organic Heirloom Tomato Plants - Downingtown, PA [email protected] Gardening 0 30-05-2005 03:04 PM
Heirloom tomato seed exchange Robert Marketplace 0 20-11-2003 10:07 AM
Heirloom tomato seed Robert Gardening 0 12-11-2003 10:22 AM
Heirloom tomato seed Robert Gardening 0 12-11-2003 10:22 AM
Seeking info regarding heirloom tomato Revad 'D' Matt Ward Gardening 0 17-03-2003 07:44 PM