Old 19-06-2005, 02:12 AM
L H

Default What the heck is a young shoot?

Is a young shoot the same as a sprout?
I read in a book that a young shoot of this one plant was edible and I
would like to know exactly what that is before I eat something that will
make me halucinate or something.

get 6 month of FREE RENT in Northern Pennsyvania
http://www.dclassifieds.com/ad/3716647.html

Old 19-06-2005, 04:14 AM
GA Pinhead

How about before any leaves unfurl? A shoot implies not a seedling, but
a plant coming back out. Like Poke Salit. The young shoots of
Pokeweed, something you don't want to eat when full grown.

That help? Might help to know what plant as well, unless you do want to
see things of course...

John!

Old 19-06-2005, 04:46 AM
Steve

Pokeweed was the first thing that crossed my mind as well.
I wonder if L H will confess that this was the plant in question or tell
what it was, if not?

Steve

Old 19-06-2005, 05:08 AM
GA Pinhead

Anything with milky sap, well goofy alkaloids and all...

Angel's Trumpet maybe? I saw some folks selling them on the side of the
road today. Lots of folks have them planted around here.

John!

Old 19-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Arkansas

First thing I thought about was Young Daylilly shoots. They are edible. but then so is the flower and the little tubelings under ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L H

Old 19-06-2005, 05:34 PM
L H

Actually, I believe it started with pigweed and then sort of became kind
of a collective plant.
That is all plants with edible shoots
Milkweed,chickweed,and even cattail root has young shoots.

I will tell ya what got me thinking about the difference is this. I
sprout legumes, and so on, and was looking for other unusual
sproutables.

Actually , going back one more step the process what really got me
thinking about it was chewing on an apple seed and wondering if a apple
seed, or other "fruit" seeds were sproutable.
I found out that quantities of certain fruit seeds are poisonous and
contain a form of cyanide but NOTHING on sprouted seeds.
However, This is another topic.

I would really like to know what unusual edible plants could be
sprouted to eat. However,I do not think any reliable info exist.
I am not to interesting in finding out the hard way.

Thanks for clearing up what a shoot is.

Old 19-06-2005, 06:18 PM
GA Pinhead

I thought so...

that would be a sprout, an annual from a seed.

How about herb seeds? Flavorful. Cilantro comes to mind.

John!

What is a young shoot? L H Gardening 3 20-06-2005 12:55 AM
My pond must be one heck of a romantic location... Chad Ponds 3 09-08-2003 02:37 PM
what in the heck is this Carl Beyer Ponds 5 28-05-2003 12:20 AM
Letter to Weather Dept What the Heck? BenignVanilla Ponds 4 31-03-2003 08:56 PM
Where the heck are the tadpoles? Sam Hopkins Ponds 1 28-03-2003 08:20 PM