Old 10-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Daniel Prince

Default Using up yellow squash

Right now I am harvesting a lot of yellow straight neck squash. I
need to know how to use them up.

If I put slices on a store-bought pizza I am going to cook, do I
need to precook the squash first? The pizza is cooked at 415
degrees F for 16 minutes.

What is the best way to precook squash slices for use in an omelet?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can use up my
squash? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Rogerx

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:59:46 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Right now I am harvesting a lot of yellow straight neck squash. I
need to know how to use them up.

If I put slices on a store-bought pizza I am going to cook, do I
need to precook the squash first? The pizza is cooked at 415
degrees F for 16 minutes.

What is the best way to precook squash slices for use in an omelet?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can use up my
squash? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Daniel, Another way we use yellow squash is to make relish out of it,
at least yellow squash is the main ingredient, as well as red and
green bell peppers, and onions.(It is far better than any green tomato
or cucumber relish). It makes the best Hot Dog relish I have ever
eaten, and it is very colorful (Yellow, Red, and Green).

First you grind up 10cups of Yellow Squash, 1 large Carrot, 2 (1green
and 1 red) Belle Pepper and three or 4 onions(medium size). Sprinkle
with 1/4 Cup of Salt. Mix and let set overnight. Drain and wash well
in cool water. Then Drain well.

Mix 4 Cups of sugar, 2.5 cups of Vinegar, and 1 tsp of Nutmeg, 1 tsp
Tumeric, and 1tbl spn Corn Starch. Pour over Vegies and bring to boil
and boil it 30-40 min. Pack in hot sterial jars. Cap then turn jar
upside down for 5 minutes(so they will seal) . No further processing
required. (after about 2 weeks the flavors are blended and it is
"fantastic").

Yellow squash also makes a pretty darn good pickle!

Have a good day Rogerx!
Old 10-07-2005, 07:55 PM
GA Pinhead

Check out the earlier thread:

Why did I plant zucchini

John!

Daniel Prince wrote:
Right now I am harvesting a lot of yellow straight neck squash. I
need to know how to use them up.

If I put slices on a store-bought pizza I am going to cook, do I
need to precook the squash first? The pizza is cooked at 415
degrees F for 16 minutes.

No slice it thinly.

What is the best way to precook squash slices for use in an omelet?

I'd just dice it. I like the crunch.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Dwayne

To precook, cut it in the size pieces you want and put it in a dish or bag
in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how many you do. When
they are done, try putting a few in a dish and melting some butter on them
and eat them that way. I also like to cut them in little pieces and put
them in a salad raw. Another way is to roll them in beaten eggs, roll them
in flour and fry them. My cousin cuts them and puts them in a casserole
with hamburger, onions, green beans, Etc. Your uses are only limited to
your imagination.

Dwayne

Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Doug Freyburger

Daniel Prince wrote:

Right now I am harvesting a lot of yellow straight neck squash. I
need to know how to use them up.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can use up my
squash?

Shred squash very finely and it can be eaten raw like
cole slaw. At a home show we stopped to watch one of
the demos by West Bend the folks who make the "waterless"
cookware. One of the parts of the demo is to put an
assortment of raw veggies into a hand cranked stainless
steel shredder widget and hand out the salads for folks
to eat during the rest of the demo. At a recent show
we bought one of the shredders and it does make great
cole slaw that can have squash added in. Should work
fine with lots of squash. Fresh and cold works best
when shredded this way. Add a dash of herbs and
maybe some salad dressing.

Squash goes well in casseroles. At the moment Boston
Market's assortment of side dishes to go with their
rotisserie chicken includes a squash casserole and
I think it's pretty good.

Cukes pickle well enough that the word pickle virtually
means cucumber. I wonder how pickled squash would
be? With a few bushels of excess it should be worth
finding out.

Old 14-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Pat

"Daniel Prince" wrote

If I put slices on a store-bought pizza I am going to cook, do I
need to precook the squash first? The pizza is cooked at 415
degrees F for 16 minutes.

Sliced about 1/8" thick it will be fine.

What is the best way to precook squash slices for use in an omelet?

Cut the slices into matchsticks and sauté.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can use up my
squash? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Cut in 1/4" slices and freeze in ziplock bags.

My cat really loves me. When it is cold at night he lies right
up against me in the bed to help keep me warm.

Mine do the same with me.

Old 15-07-2005, 05:08 PM
MattMika

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can use up my
squash? Thank you in advance for all replies.

I like to cube it up and put on kebob skewers with peppers, onions,
mushrooms, potatoes, etc, etc. and any kind of meat...

"These animals evacuate ethyl alcohol from their bowels and carbon dioxide from their urinary organs. Thus, one can observe how a specially lighter fluid is exuded from the anus and rises vertically whereas a stream of carbon dioxide is ejected at very short intervals from enormously long genitales."

Justus Freiherr von Liebig - 1839
Old 15-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Daniel Prince

MattMika wrote:

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can use up my
squash? Thank you in advance for all replies.

I like to cube it up and put on kebob skewers with peppers, onions,
mushrooms, potatoes, etc, etc. and any kind of meat...

Don't potatoes take a lot longer to cook than squash and mushrooms?
How do you get the potatoes cooked without over cooking other
things?
Old 15-07-2005, 11:03 PM
MattMika

Don't potatoes take a lot longer to cook than squash and mushrooms?
How do you get the potatoes cooked without over cooking other
things?

If Im lazy I just slice them thin and they dont get fully cooked,
otherwise I cut them up and boil for a bit before skewering. Usually I
dont use them though cause they're a pain compared to just putting raw
veggies on a skewer...

Anyway I love squash on my kebobs...