Old 14-07-2005, 09:08 PM
Dianna Visek

Default peach picking

How ripe do peaches have to be before picking? (I'm in competition
iwth squirrels.) My peaches are orange but hard. Will they ripen
inside?

Thanks, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 14-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Pat

"Dianna Visek" wrote in message
How ripe do peaches have to be before picking? (I'm in competition
iwth squirrels.) My peaches are orange but hard. Will they ripen
inside?

Haven't you got a dog or cat to patrol the orchard?

Old 15-07-2005, 03:17 AM
Dwayne

No. Peaches receive 90 percent of their sweetness and flavor within the
last 5 days of being ready to pick. That is why all off those we ship in
from overseas are hard and without flavor.

Dwayne

Old 15-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Rogerx

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:08:51 -0500, Dianna Visek
wrote:

How ripe do peaches have to be before picking? (I'm in competition
iwth squirrels.) My peaches are orange but hard. Will they ripen
inside?

Thanks, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Dianna, Not knowing what zone you are in, or the variety of peach you
are talking about, it is difficult to give you an exact answer. For
instance in zone 7, Red Havens get ripe in early June and Alberta's in
late September, and many varieties in between.

Most varieties, except some white peaches, "Blush" a few days before
they get ripe. (Blushing is simply turning red on one side- -some
varieties all over).

After the peach blushes, grasp in asqueeze slightly(very slightly) .
If the peach shows any signs of softening, pick it. If it is
softening but still very firm, lay it up and the next day it will be
delicious.(do not wash it or put in a cold place, because that will
stop the ripening process).

Many years ago when I picked peaches for a commercial grower, the
first thing they would do (after de-fuzzing) would be to place the
peaches in a cold water bath to slow the ripening process.

Sorry for the long post- -RogerX
Old 18-07-2005, 12:08 AM
John Savage

Dianna Visek writes:
How ripe do peaches have to be before picking? (I'm in competition
iwth squirrels.) My peaches are orange but hard. Will they ripen
inside?

Peaches destined for market are picked while still quite green and hard
and they do ripen nicely, though I think if they are allowed to ripen
on the tree they'd be even tastier. Keep in mind that peaches can be
picked when quite green and tasteless, yet they'll still stew beautifully
and taste delicious. Stew means boil in water and sugar until they soften.

In any race with wildlife, the wildlife will always win. :-(

Old 18-07-2005, 05:12 AM
Dianna Visek

I have two compact Red Havens in zone 5b. This is year 4 for them.
In the past, the squirrels took every peach, while quite green. It
was so discouraging, I'd planned to take them out this spring and
replace them with cherry trees. But surprise, surprise, this year the
trees are loaded. My husband went out yesterday and picked at least
700. He wasn't very discriminating about ripeness.

They aren't as sweet as store-bought peaches. Is that due to the
variety or due to being picked a bit too early?

I was impressed at how much better they tasted in jam. Cooking seems
to develop the flavor.

I don't know why this year is different. The squirrel population
seems reduced. There may be more cats in the neighborhood.

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.
Old 18-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Dwayne

The squirrels on my place used to rob the food from the bird feeders, until
I bought a squirrel feeder and put it up. Then the only time they would
bother the bird feeder was when I let their feeder get empty. Maybe a few
feeders would help your squirrel problem.

Getting cherry trees to replace the peach trees will only cause an influx of
birds that will eat your cherries. You will be trading one for the other.
I have both peaches and cherries, and lose the cherries, but not the
peaches.

Dwayne

Old 19-07-2005, 03:39 AM
Dianna Visek

I have two cherry trees already. The birds share with me. In fact, I
got a bumper crop this year. It's the peahes that have been the
problem.

Regards, Dianna

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 07:34:16 -0500, "Dwayne" wrote:

The squirrels on my place used to rob the food from the bird feeders, until
I bought a squirrel feeder and put it up. Then the only time they would
bother the bird feeder was when I let their feeder get empty. Maybe a few
feeders would help your squirrel problem.

Getting cherry trees to replace the peach trees will only cause an influx of
birds that will eat your cherries. You will be trading one for the other.
I have both peaches and cherries, and lose the cherries, but not the
peaches.

Dwayne

"Dianna Visek" wrote in message
.. .
I have two compact Red Havens in zone 5b. This is year 4 for them.
In the past, the squirrels took every peach, while quite green. It
was so discouraging, I'd planned to take them out this spring and
replace them with cherry trees. But surprise, surprise, this year the
trees are loaded. My husband went out yesterday and picked at least
700. He wasn't very discriminating about ripeness.

They aren't as sweet as store-bought peaches. Is that due to the
variety or due to being picked a bit too early?

I was impressed at how much better they tasted in jam. Cooking seems
to develop the flavor.

I don't know why this year is different. The squirrel population
seems reduced. There may be more cats in the neighborhood.

Regards, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

mushroom picking Pankaj Chopra North Carolina 3 16-06-2003 01:20 AM
picking a small tree James Texas 6 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
picking a small tree in Austin Texas James Lawns 1 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
picking a small tree James Texas 6 16-03-2003 11:56 PM
Need help picking a grass Angie Gardening 3 04-03-2003 03:39 PM