Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Velvet

Default Spray bar position

x-posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.misc, rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,
uk.rec.aquaria.misc

Ok, so I now have an external cannister on my tank (an eheim 2213 classic).
My quandry is where to put the spray bar, and how to mount it. For
logistical reasons, the feed pipe HAS to end up at the back left side of the
tank. The tank sides *can* be seen, it's a free-standing tank - but I'm not
*too* worried about seeing the pipes inside the tank from either side.

However. It's a 29US gal tank. Heavily planted, heavily stocked. CO2 on
the plants. The intake is at the bottom of the back left corner.

The spray bar will fit vertically down the back corner, but only once I've
got rid of the existing internal filters in 4-6 weeks.

It would need trimming to fit horizontally along the side.

If I fit it horizontally to the back, I can fit another spray bar linked to
it, so there's (under the surface) current flowing toward the front of the
tank from all along the rear.

I could fit it at the bottom of the tank, along the back, horizontally, and
add a second, as above.

I don't (for reasons of pipework) want to site the spray bar at the right
side of the tank, either horizontally or vertically.

Which would be the better options out of all these? I need general current
throughout the whole tank, but don't want to set up a small circulation over
just one side of the tank. Obviously spray bar has to be mounted under the
surface by varying degrees, to prevent driving off the CO2 (which is put in
by a separate reactor chamber, not into teh filter intake).

Velvet

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Stuart Mueller

"Velvet" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Velvet,

I have an Ehiem 2211 external canister filter in my 23UK Gal tank.

I have it coming in the back right hand corner and it goes along the top of
the back. I have found that If I add another spraybar, it dramatically
reduces the output from the original spraybar!!

However I noted your comment about you not wanting "small circulation over
just one side of the tank". Is there any reason for this, or is it just a
preference?

Stu

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Velvet

"Stuart Mueller" wrote in message
. ..

Hi Velvet,

I have an Ehiem 2211 external canister filter in my 23UK Gal tank.

I have it coming in the back right hand corner and it goes along the top

of
the back. I have found that If I add another spraybar, it dramatically
reduces the output from the original spraybar!!

However I noted your comment about you not wanting "small circulation over
just one side of the tank". Is there any reason for this, or is it just a
preference?

Stu

Well, what I didn't want was circulation over one side of the tank (ie, the
left, with spray bar and intake both on that side of the centre line) and
not much circulation on the other side of the tank (ie, no intake, no spray
bar). I've seen the tank (36"x12"x15") separate like this before, when
using a single internal filter (which is one reason why I currently have two
internals in there). I found the uncirculated end would end up with lots
more detritus, and the fish seemed to prefer the end with the filter in. Of
course, now I have supersonically growing plants in there, I'm sure this
makes eddies and whatnots, that help keep the whole tank stirred up, but
even so it looks at the moment like it's substantially stiller at that end
than t'other (and I still have my two internals going whilst the cannister
populates with bacteria).

Velvet

Old 20-04-2003, 05:32 AM
NetMax

"Velvet" wrote in message
Ok, so I now have an external cannister on my tank (an eheim 2213

classic).
My quandry is where to put the spray bar, and how to mount it

snip.
However. It's a 29US gal tank. Heavily planted, heavily stocked. CO2

on
the plants. The intake is at the bottom of the back left corner.

snip
Velvet

I would position the spray bar horizontally on the right side of the
tank, a couple of inches under the surface pointing down towards the
front of the tank about 45 degrees, with supply hose going up the right
back corner, or centre back. This creates a spiral from right to left
(though your plants would pretty much dissipate most of the effect).
That eliminates one of a hundred equally good ways to do it ;o)

NetMax