Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Cannibul

Default AH supply question......

Ok, I'm getting ready to swap my shop lights for AH Supply kits. I
have two shop lights over a 55 gallon which gives me 160 watts of
light. The question I have is - Will two 55 watt AH Supply kits give
me about the same amount of Usable light? Or should I just go all out
and get four 55 watt kits? Or I could put a couple of over driven T-8
bulbs in the canopy with the AH Supply kits.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
kush

Oh, heck, more's just got to be better, right? The AH reflectors are pretty
good but there's no substitute for raw wattage. I'd do the two x two
(actually, I did).

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
SLEngst

Four 55 watt AH lights will be pretty crowded. I have three and everything,
including a lot of high light plants, are growing fine. With timers you can do
a bit of sunrise, sunset with them. You'll need to have two on the same
circuit or you won't have room to mount them. Don't get 3 or 4 singles.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Cannibul

On Sun, 01 Dec 2002 16:35:34 -0800, Cannibul
wrote:

Ok, I'm getting ready to swap my shop lights for AH Supply kits. I
have two shop lights over a 55 gallon which gives me 160 watts of
light. The question I have is - Will two 55 watt AH Supply kits give
me about the same amount of Usable light? Or should I just go all out
and get four 55 watt kits? Or I could put a couple of over driven T-8
bulbs in the canopy with the AH Supply kits.

Ok, I got the 2 x 55 watt kit from AH supply and it's brighter than
the two shop lights I had on the tank. It looks awesome. Now for the
good question. Is there anyone running a 4 x 55 watt kit on a 55
gallon tank? I'm thinking why not go all out and see how much alage I
can grow!
Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
maxx8

The biggest question you'll have to deal with is how often do you want
to trim back your plants? With that much light the plants will be
growing by leaps and bounds. Look for algae when you do severe cutbacks.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Haywire

I'd love to see the look on the LFS owners when all the SAE's, bristlnose's,
algae eating shrimp get bought up by you, lol. I never thought of growing
algae deliberately.