Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Tasslehoff

Default Removing UGF for planted tank?

Okay thanks for everyones input, it's much appreciated. I've got a bunch of
plants mainly stem ones and decided to keep the UGF for the time being. If
they don't work out I'll simply try again removing the UGF completely and
ordering another batch of plants on my next order in a few months time.
I've got ambulia, blue stricta, gold pennywort, wisteria, corkscrew vals,
cryptocoryne, narrow chain swords, and a small amazon swordplant.

"kush" wrote in message
Mmmmmmmmmmm. I agree with everything Leigh says, but, but, but...

Using an undergravel filter simply requires a different system of aquarium
maintenance, different skills and different expectations.

Instead of using bubbles you use powerheads aimed so as not to disrupt the
surface. If you want to grow serious root feeders like swords, you

confine
them where you can use root tabs/spikes. On the other hand, stem plants
which root from the nodes perform (IME) immeasurably better in a UGF
system - stem rot just doesn't happen. I've found that equilibrium is
easier to achieve and can be maintained for years longer than in a
conventional setup.

OK, horse flogged, I'm done.

kush

LeighMo wrote in message
If I had a choice I would remove the UFG( because of conventional
wisdom) but that may not be feasible in all circumstances.

I agree. In fact, I did it. I had a UGF in my tank for years, but

removed it
when I decided to replace the substrate with Flourite. I had a power

filter on
the tank, too, so removing the UGF was no big deal.

FWIW, I never had a problem with nitrate building up, even without a lot

of
plants. Nevertheless, I don't recommend UGFs with planted tanks. Don't

get me
wrong, a lot of people use them and it's fine -- but there are a few

reasons
why UGFs aren't ideal for planted tanks.

1) The problem of substrate fertilizer has already been mentioned. You

can do
without it, but IME there are some plants that just do better with heavy
substrate fertilization.

2) Rearranging plants becomes difficult with UGFs. The plants' roots

entwine
around the filter plate and grow for feet over and underneath it.

Removing or
moving plants becomes a huge PITA.

3) Vacuuming, IMO, isn't a problem. With a properly run UGF, the crud

should
never clog the gravel, and you don't need to vacuum it (though you

should
vacuum underneath the plates every once in awhile). However, the ideal

gravel
size for a UGF is larger than is ideal for plants. Seachem says

Flourite
can
be used with UGFs, but IME, it's too fine. The UGF was designed for

largish
gravel -- pea-sized or bigger. This is much coarser than most plants

like.

4) It's not necessary. It's good to have a backup filter, but in a

planted
tank, the plants are your backup filter.

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Ed

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 17:26:34 +1100, "Tasslehoff"
wrote:

Okay thanks for everyones input, it's much appreciated. I've got a bunch of
plants mainly stem ones and decided to keep the UGF for the time being. If
they don't work out I'll simply try again

That's the spirit! Lots-a-luck!