Old 22-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Empty

Default Bah. Crap. Damn the Cat.

My cat knocked over my DIY CO2 on my 20g long yesterday at some point... A
cup or so got venturid into the tank, which I discovered when I noticed
fish gasping at the surface. Other symptoms included a dead singapore wood
shrimp (damnit I loved that shrimp too) and bubbles coming out of the
gravel (!!! Oh god, when did this happen??)

I imediately did a massive water change complete with gravel vac (I churned
up probably 75% of the gravel), which seems to have helped a bit, and put
an empty airline tube in the venturi hole on the powerhead to help aspirate
some of the gases being formed.

This morning, the tank and it's denizens(6 or so pygmy gourami, 3
featherfin rainbows, 6 or so bumblebee gobies, some cories, a betta, and
algae control critters... and a baby singapore shrimp) look OK, aside from
water that is foggier than London on a cold morning.

Sigh.

Oh well, I guess I am on massive water changes for the next few days.

~Empty

--
'You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it
kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other
Old 23-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Robert Flory

"Empty" wrote in message
My cat knocked over my DIY CO2 on my 20g long yesterday at some point... A
cup or so got venturid into the tank, which I discovered when I noticed
fish gasping at the surface. Other symptoms included a dead singapore wood
shrimp (damnit I loved that shrimp too) and bubbles coming out of the
gravel (!!! Oh god, when did this happen??)

SNIP
~Empty

Aren't cats wonderful ;-) I have one that tries to catch my fish if I leave
the lid open, otherwise he catches crayfish in the creek and drops them in
the living room. Oh yeah, leave a container of fish food out and he'll play
with it till he gets the lid off and spreads the flake across the carpet.
He drinks out of the toilet and the pool, worse than a dog.

Bob

Old 23-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Jim Miller

I'm guessing that you used a 2 Liter pop bottle. These are inherently tippy.

Change to a 64oz (same size...) juice bottle. They have a full width bottom
and have a lower profile which makes them MUCH less tippy. They also have a
wider mouth for easier filling and firmer sides for easier handling.

jtm

--
Remove NOSPAM for email replies

Old 23-04-2003, 02:56 AM
E. Mito

In article , "Jim Miller"
writes:

Change to a 64oz (same size...) juice bottle. They have a full width bottom
and have a lower profile which makes them MUCH less tippy. They also have a
wider mouth for easier filling and firmer sides for easier handling.

I like this idea Jim, thanks for mentioning it. Another damage control measure
I take is constructing a trap (or slobber box, as some call it) out of a second
2L bottle, inline between the tank and the yeast mix.. I put a handful of
gravel in each of mine to keep the otherwise empty bottles from tipping over.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 24-04-2003, 07:56 PM
linda mar

Do you all reuse these DIY containers, or just chuck them out when they're
"used up"?

just thinking cleaning a yeast-smelling container.. yuck..

linda

Old 24-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Jim Miller

i just reuse them. poured down the drain and rinsed with hot water. doesn't
smell much different than stale beer!

of course it wouldn't hurt to drink a 64oz bottle of apple juice each week
either!

jtm

Old 24-04-2003, 09:56 PM
E. Mito

In article , "linda mar"
writes:

just thinking cleaning a yeast-smelling container.. yuck..

not so bad. you do get used to it. mine smell more like very cheap wine
instead of stale beer when they are through ... guess it depends on the yeast
mixture you use.

Old 24-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Eric Schreiber

"linda mar" wrote:

Do you all reuse these DIY containers, or just chuck them out when they're
"used up"?
just thinking cleaning a yeast-smelling container.. yuck..

I reuse mine. It smells like bad beer or wine when it gets dumped, but
it's not really all that bad. Doesn't last long, goes right down the
drain. A quick rinse, and it's ready for the next batch.

I couldn't get rid of the bottles - I have the recipe written on the
side and wouldn't know what to do without it

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 24-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Robert Flory

"Eric Schreiber" wrote in message
"linda mar" wrote:

Do you all reuse these DIY containers, or just chuck them out when

they're
"used up"?
just thinking cleaning a yeast-smelling container.. yuck..

I reuse mine. It smells like bad beer or wine when it gets dumped, but
it's not really all that bad. Doesn't last long, goes right down the
drain. A quick rinse, and it's ready for the next batch.

I couldn't get rid of the bottles - I have the recipe written on the
side and wouldn't know what to do without it

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Rinse? I add a couple of tablespoon of flour so I have a layer of muck on
the bottom. Pour off the liquid and save the much. Just add sugar and
water. The muck Haven't re-loaded any of the Jell-O bottles yet.

Old 26-04-2003, 01:20 AM
linda mar

thanks all! stale beer or stale wine, eh?

I guess it can't be worse than cleaning out the freshly-used litterbox...

linda

y.com...

Old 27-04-2003, 09:34 PM
Rickenbacker

Well, that sucks. I don't have a cat, but since I don't trust myself not to
kick the bottle over, I strapped it to one of the tank stand legs with an
old leather strap I found. Now if I could only get it to live longer than a
week... Keep getting too much yeast in.