Old 22-08-2003, 09:32 PM
RedForeman ©®

Default What's the trick with cabomba?

Wasn't sure, but knew or thought it had something to do with light spectrum,
although Dave P's scenario differed, it could have many variants,
dependancies or reasons why some do better....

I tried it, and all the limbs would come off, and I'd have a tassle... All
top, no bottom.... then someone/thing decided it tasted good... no more
cabomba..
"dam n" wrote in message
Actually Red, it's the opposite. The blue spectrum encourages short and
bushy growth while the red spectrum makes plants grow long and leggy.

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
I was told that it's because of too much blue in the spectrum, or

something
similar... One color makes it grow tall, one color makes it bushy, not
tall.... IIRC, blue makes it go tall, red makes it bushy.... Anachris is

the
same way, if the light has more reds, it'll be bushier leaves, thicker
between branches, and more blue will make it reach for the top of the
water....

I could be wrong, and I reserve the right to be wrong at anytime without
hesitation... haha....
"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote in message
. ca...
Why does my cabomba grow with big spaces between leafs and straggley?

Is
the
trick lots of light? I only have 2wpg in a 15gal wide. I do PPMD,

traces,
and have good values of C02 like 35ppm. All my other plants grow

extremely
fast and lush (I have to prune 2-3 times a week) I used to have a

bunch
of
this stuff but got disgusted with the poor growth that I limited it

now
little part of the brightest spot in my aquarium. The stem seems to

grow
rapidly but the leaf sections grow wide apart and not condensed and

thick
like.

Thanx for any opinions!!!

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Old 22-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Jim Seidman

(Victor M. Martinez) wrote in message ...
Jim Seidman wrote:
The original poster has 30W on a 15g, which sounds like pretty low
light to me. I don't know what kind of lighting is on your

2 watts per gallon is by no means low-light.

"moderate-light" tank, but I suspect that it's much better-lit than
that.

I have cabomba in the 110 gallon tank, which has about 1 gpw of CF light on
it. The darn thing (along with every other plant there) grows like a weed
and requires weekly prunning.

"Watts per gallon" isn't really meaningful when you compare wildly
divergent tank sizes. Yes, 2 wpg is likely more than you need for a
110 gallon. It's less than you need for a 15 gallon (at least to grow
high-light plants). It might be just about right for a 65 gallon.

You'll see a lof of argument about exactly how light needs change with
the size and shape of the aquarium. However, I can tell you
unequivocably that the same wpg number won't provide equivalent
lighting in wildly different aquaria. For example, putting 6 Watts on
a 3 gallon tank may be 2 wpg, but won't grow much.

I'm curious, what variety of cabomba are you growing? I know that, for
example, Cabomba furcáta (a.k.a. Red Cabomba) requires more light than
Cabomba caroliniana (a.k.a. Green Cabomba). In either case, I would
expect the original poster to have trouble with either one given his
lighting.

- Jim
Old 23-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Dan Norgard

I have 40w on my 29gal. and my Cabomba grows fine.
Dan
"Jim Seidman" wrote in message
om...
LeighMo ) writes:
It's almost certainly that you don't have enough light. Cabomba

really
requires a well-lit tank.

That hasn't been my experience. My Cabomba actually grows bushier in

my
moderate-light tank, probably because it grows slower.

The original poster has 30W on a 15g, which sounds like pretty low
light to me. I don't know what kind of lighting is on your
"moderate-light" tank, but I suspect that it's much better-lit than
that.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any measurement that's both easy and
accurate for describing the light level in a tank. So your
moderate-light might be something that I would call a high-light.
Someone needs to mass-produce cheap underwater light meters to resolve
the problem. :-)

- Jim

Old 23-08-2003, 01:22 AM
LeighMo

The original poster has 30W on a 15g, which sounds like pretty low
light to me. I don't know what kind of lighting is on your
"moderate-light" tank, but I suspect that it's much better-lit than
that.

Nah. I have 2.4 watts per gallon on a 29 gallon tank. No CO2, and not a speck
of algae. A 29 gallon tank is much higher than a 15g, so I bet he's got more
light than me, from a plant's POV. Especially since my bulb is really old.

However, I do agree that Limnophila is much easier to keep. I particularly
like Limnophila indica. It turns a nice red-yellow under high light, a
striking lime green under moderate light. Fast grower, that stays attractive
and bushy even if you top it.

Leigh

Old 23-08-2003, 01:22 AM
LeighMo

Nah. I have 2.4 watts per gallon on a 29 gallon tank

Oops. Typo. I have 2.2 wpg on a 29 gallon tank.

Leigh

Old 23-08-2003, 01:32 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Jim Seidman wrote:
I'm curious, what variety of cabomba are you growing? I know that, for
example, Cabomba furcáta (a.k.a. Red Cabomba) requires more light than
Cabomba caroliniana (a.k.a. Green Cabomba). In either case, I would

The second one.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 25-08-2003, 09:32 AM
Graham Ramsay

"Dave M. Picklyk" wrote
Why does my cabomba grow with big spaces between leafs and straggley? Is the
trick lots of light? I only have 2wpg in a 15gal wide.

I've often seen Limnophila for sale labelled as Cabomba,
It's a bit less 'fluffy' for want of a better word.
The only problem I have with Cabomba is that each
time I try to grow it I get BGA. Bummer really as it's
a striking plant. 2w/g should be enough but more is
better I think.

--
Graham Ramsay
You might be a Bright: