Old 02-09-2003, 04:12 AM
^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Default CO2 Injection

Hello . . .

I will be receiving some plants soon and have been wondering about CO2
injection. I've been reading all day regarding the subject at various places
around the Net. I'm thinking of going the DIY route (yeast, sugar, etc) and
I'm curious as to how I could use my Aqua Clear 802 Powerhead with this
setup.

Also, my tank is a 55 so I'm wondering if I'd need more than one unit.

Any thoughts, help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

MTIA

~ Vosklady ~

Old 02-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Racf

"^*^ Vosklady ^*^" wrote in message
Hello . . .

I will be receiving some plants soon and have been wondering about CO2
injection. I've been reading all day regarding the subject at various

places
around the Net. I'm thinking of going the DIY route (yeast, sugar,

etc) and
I'm curious as to how I could use my Aqua Clear 802 Powerhead with

this
setup.

Also, my tank is a 55 so I'm wondering if I'd need more than one unit.

Any thoughts, help, advice would be greatly appreciated.

MTIA

~ Vosklady ~

That's a big tank for DIY CO2....but really it depends on the target
level of CO2 you want. For larger DIY needs, a 5 gallon water bottle
would probably produce enough volume for about 8 - 16 ppm of CO2....when
running well. This assumes you take the usual precautions about
reduction of tank aeration and get good absorption.

I am not familiar with that powerhead, but I have used a powerhead that
has a air Ventura design that I used to plug my CO2 line into. It
produced very fine CO2 bubbles that were absorbed fairly well. It was a
low volume powerhead and I pointed the output downwards and across the
tank. I think I got around 10-12ppm with my setup in its hey-day.

Perhaps you will get along ok without added CO2, or need a high level.
On the higher end of CO2 needs, most these days spend the bigger bucks
and get the fancy bottled systems. These are now readily available.
Used to be a scavenger hunt for the parts and adapters, but now they
sell complete systems.....They make good profits on the sales
considering what the parts are really worth, but they did do the work of
pulling all the right parts together....so I guess these folks deserve a
few bucks for doing it.

A 5 gallon water jug is about $8.00 at my grocery store.....and you
would need one of those one way air valves.. a little silicone and some
airline and your in business. The jug is a bit big, but......that's CO2
business... My neighbor was selling 2 big 5 gallon glass jugs at his
garage sale this past summer, for $.50 each.....and he ended up throwing
them away....Glass is much stronger than plastic in case the airline
clogs and the pressure builds up and it splodes.....but that's another
story.

Old 02-09-2003, 01:22 PM
AQUATIC-STORE.COM

You could use your powerhead to chop up the co2 as it comes out of the
tubing to increase dissapation.
With a atomiser you can have your co2 smaller before it even reaces
the powerhead.
goal is 100% dissapation so it DOES NOT rise to the top of the tank
and escape.

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Eheim PRO II 2026 $143
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75

WEBBOARD

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

Old 02-09-2003, 02:12 PM
^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Many Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated.

I've been wondering about something regarding my powerhead, this may be a
silly question but I'll ask anyway . . .

You can see a picture of my powerhead at:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=4644

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/pro...00570002010 1

I've been using my powerhead to areate the tank. Looking at the above
picture(s) you can see how the airline connects to the output (exhaust). I
am able to control the amount of air injected from a large amount to a small
amount. In terms of CO2, could I just connect the tube from the CO2 bottle
I'd have to where the air intake tube is now connected? Would this work? I
have a feeling that "where" I'd actually connect my CO2 line is completely
different, but I just had to ask. If I am "way off base" as to how I'd
connect my powerhead please tell me, since this has been the crux of my
confusion regarding CO2 with a powerhead.

Also, the Output with air for my particular powerhead is: 1324 L / 350 U.S.
gal per hour. With CO2 connected would this be too much for my tank? Should
I get a smaller powerhead for CO2 and keep the one I have now aerating? OR
should I just use the powerhead I have now for CO2 and get a smaller
powerhead for aeration purposes? Is the idea of using dual powerheads
simultaneously (one for CO2 and one for aeration) even a good idea?

Many Thanks In Advance . . . it's appreciated.

~ Vosklady

Old 02-09-2003, 05:24 PM
AQUATIC-STORE.COM

You will want to limit o2 and surface agitation in the tank during the
light hours or you will be losing most of your co2.

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Eheim PRO II 2026 $143
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75

WEBBOARD

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

Old 02-09-2003, 08:13 PM
Aqua

For my 55Gal tank I started with a single Pepsi 2 lit bottle. If you go for
a bigger bottle like 5gal then there will be huge CO2 production which is
not good.

Something is better than nothing so start with a 2lit bottle. Surely you
will see the difference in plants growth. Later have a look at
http://www.dlink.org/aqua/CO2.html

Hope this helps
Regards
Dominic

Old 03-09-2003, 08:12 AM
^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Many Thanks for all the replies, they are very helpful and greatly
appreciated.

Any ideas on whether or not I can switch the air line of my powerhead (which
injects air into my tank) with my CO2 line? OR could I just connect the CO2
line to the side of my tank close to the intake of my powerhead and have it
disperse the CO2 that way?

As always, any help, thoughts, ideas and advice are appreciated.

MTIA

~ Vosklady ~

Old 03-09-2003, 01:12 PM
AQUATIC-STORE.COM

Either way will work fine!

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Eheim PRO II 2026 $143
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75

WEBBOARD

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

Old 03-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Aqua

Any ideas on whether or not I can switch the air line of my powerhead

(which
injects air into my tank) with my CO2 line? OR could I just connect the

CO2

Yes you have to switch CO2 line. This way you will get maximum CO2
dissolved..

Regards
Dominic

Old 03-09-2003, 09:03 PM
^*^ Vosklady ^*^

Thanks so much everyone for your helpful replies, they are appreciated.

Best Regards,

~ Vosklady ~