Old 30-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Dick

Default Quarantine tank

I just got a 10 gallon tank I plan to leave empty to use as a
quarantine tank. I have had some questions and would like to know
what is the best way to keep a tank available for babies, health
problems, observation of new fish.

I have a heater in the tank, but plan to leave it off until needed. I
would do a partial water change with hot water to bring the tank to 78
degrees at that time.

I have sand on the bottom, didn't like looking at the glass.

I could put a Whisper Jr. filter on, but not sure of the value with no
fish in the tank. Could turn it on when putting fish in.

The tank is in my Utility room which has an automatic light as well as
an door which is left open. Should I cover the tank when it is not in
use.

The idea of a tank with aged water seems good, but I just am not sure
of the practical problems keeping such a tank presents.

Ideas any one?
Old 30-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Dinky

"Dick" wrote in message
I just got a 10 gallon tank I plan to leave empty to use as a
quarantine tank. I have had some questions and would like to know
what is the best way to keep a tank available for babies, health
problems, observation of new fish.

SImplest way to keep a qtank, leave a sponge finlter running in an
established tank to trnsfer when needed. No substrate, a qtank isn't for
looks, mine is out of sight, anyway. I keep mine empty, and fill it from the
larger tanks when needed. Anything you put in the tank, including the sand,
will have to be sterilized after the tank is used. Sand sounds like a PITA
to sterilize. g

billy

Old 30-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Dave Millman

Dinky wrote:

SImplest way to keep a qtank, leave a sponge finlter running in an
established tank to trnsfer when needed. No substrate, a qtank isn't for
looks, mine is out of sight, anyway. I keep mine empty, and fill it from the
larger tanks when needed. Anything you put in the tank, including the sand,
will have to be sterilized after the tank is used. Sand sounds like a PITA
to sterilize. g

Two notes:

If the fish pass quarrrantine OK, which for me is 4-8 weeks, then I don't
sterilize the tank.

If the fish fail quarantine, everything in the tank goes in the trash. Total
cost: way less than the medication and heartbreak of dealing with an outbreak of
whatever in the fish room. This also means that the Qtank has very little in it:
a few handfuls of sand, a sponge filter, some surplus Java moss.

Old 01-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Dick

Interesting ideas. I am sorry you don't leave sand in the tank.

I wonder if I heat the tank with tap water, 2 gallons, and then do a
partial change from my 75 gallon and then start the Whisper with a
filter kept in the 75 gallon filter. Would that work?

Wouldn't medication reach a thin layer of sand?
I really don't like looking at the tank bare. I put it in my Utility
room and look at it everytime I feed my dogs. g

Would covering the tank to keep out light starve any infections and
prevent algae?

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 04:15:24 -0700, "Dinky"
wrote:

.. .

Old 01-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Dick

That makes sense. I still have problems with the sand. I don't have
a local source. Perhaps if I did use it for a sick ward I could sun
bleach it. There is only a 1/2 inch layer on the bottom.

Can a tank maintain itself with no fish in it? I can easily take a
few gallons out of my 75 and keep a filter in one of my bio filters
for the Whisper. But once I remove the fish under observation what
keeps the tank's nutrient level up?

Old 07-10-2003, 12:11 AM
Dave Millman

Dick wrote:

That makes sense. I still have problems with the sand. I don't have
a local source. Perhaps if I did use it for a sick ward I could sun
bleach it. There is only a 1/2 inch layer on the bottom.

No offense, but there's nothing which could convince me to keep sand from a tank
which had had a quarantine "failure" in it. Pitch everything, bleach the tank, sleep
well at night.

Can a tank maintain itself with no fish in it? I can easily take a
few gallons out of my 75 and keep a filter in one of my bio filters
for the Whisper. But once I remove the fish under observation what
keeps the tank's nutrient level up?

Just feed the tank with a bit of fish food once every other day. That will decay and
feed the bacteria colony. Keep the lights out so no algae develops. Vacuum all crud
and change 90% of the water TWICE before adding fish. Use Amquel/Prime dechlorinator.

Alternate: I used ammonia to do a "fishless cycle" on my very first, non-planted
tank. I bought a gallon, and had a gallon minus an ounce left when complete. Since my
planted tank is a miracle of ammonia conversion between all the plants and bacteria,
I use dilute ammonia in a spray bottle to clean the outside of the glass. That way,
if overspray gets in the tank, no worries like if I was using glass cleaner.(In
reality, I don't believe much overspray has ever gotten into the tank, but it is open
top) What I have done is use that spray bottle and spray one spritz into the empty
tank every day. I kept one biofilter going for four months without any fish that
way-just water and a sponge!

Old 07-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Dick

Is regular bleach ok? How critical is it to remove all the bleach?
Is a rinse with hot water sufficient?

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:56:11 -0700, Dave Millman
wrote:

Dick wrote:

[...]

Retroactive Quarantine? [email protected] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 25-02-2005 01:57 PM
To Quarantine first fish in tank... or not? Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 09-01-2004 02:19 PM
Quarantine question ~ jan Ponds 0 04-05-2003 07:20 AM
Quarantine Tank Advice LeilaniR Ponds 2 19-03-2003 01:44 AM
UV sterilizers: substitute for initial quarantine? LeighMo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 9 16-02-2003 03:34 PM