Old 31-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Zion Hill

Default OK, so Goldfish and Hornwort don't mix..

Last night I put 2 nice Hornworts in to my planted Goldfish tank.

This morning - stripped skeleton stems with Hornwort needles all over the
bottom of the tank. Guilty looking fish peering out from under the Amazon
swords

After I clean up the mess it'll be on to experiment #2 - Pirrannas in the
goldfish tank!

Old 03-11-2003, 03:43 PM
RedForeman ©®

After I clean up the mess it'll be on to experiment #2 - Pirrannas in the
goldfish tank!

that'll be funny... you'll be surprised....

Old 08-11-2003, 10:04 PM
NetMax

"Zion Hill" wrote in message
Last night I put 2 nice Hornworts in to my planted Goldfish tank.

This morning - stripped skeleton stems with Hornwort needles all over

the
bottom of the tank. Guilty looking fish peering out from under the

Amazon
swords

After I clean up the mess it'll be on to experiment #2 - Pirrannas in

the
goldfish tank!

a planted Goldfish tank.. that's almost an oxymoron ;~) Hornwort can
work if it is growing faster than it's being eaten, and to do that, the
Hornwort really has to be established before the fish are added (and they
should be juveniles). Now... Piranhas will leave your Hornwort alone,
but might make a mess of your Goldfish ;o). ... and then what do you do
with a planted Piranha tank (wear gloves whenever you need to do some
pruning ;~).

NetMax

Old 12-11-2003, 07:04 PM
Jan Sacharuk

In article , NetMax wrote:

a planted Goldfish tank.. that's almost an oxymoron ;~) Hornwort can
work if it is growing faster than it's being eaten, and to do that, the
Hornwort really has to be established before the fish are added (and they
should be juveniles). Now... Piranhas will leave your Hornwort alone,
but might make a mess of your Goldfish ;o). ... and then what do you do
with a planted Piranha tank (wear gloves whenever you need to do some
pruning ;~).

Actually, it's just that goldfish are really weird. I planted hornwort
after about a week of getting some already fairly mature goldfish
(which I got from people that couldn't take their tank.) I'm fairly
sure it was their first experience with live plants, and they
completely ignored it. I also planted a hygrophila plant, and they
also ignored that entirely. Only now, after about a month and a half,
are they taking any interest in the plant at all, and it's growing far
faster than they can eat it.

The guy at the store said the plants would be good for the
goldfish...they'd nibble the hygrophila and ignore the hornwort...or
not. You never know with goldfish.

JS

--
Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity