Old 12-12-2003, 03:02 AM
Phil Dietz

Default Layer of foam on water

First my setup:
A new 37 gallon cube tank from oceanic
High pressure CO2 unit bubbling a bubble a second reducing PH from 7.6
down to 7.0 into a Nutrifin diffuser.
100% Flourite bottom.
110 watts light from ahsupply (2.9 watt per gallon)
10 hours of light a day.
Emperor 280 filter
12 plants (foxtail, hygro, coffefolia, nana, tiger lily, wysteria, 4
sword bunches, glostigma..whatever, anachris))
17 fish (rhasboras, corys, cardinals, goramis, angel, otos).

Now my problem...

I am getting tremendous pearling.

So much that I have this thick layer of foam on the top of the water.
Half of the foam is stagnant. The rest is swirling like a galaxy near
the power filter output.

Ive never owned pressurized-CO2 system before. Is this foam common ??

I've always wanted to see pearling back in my DIY-co2 days...

Now I have too much. There are so many bubbles that it makes the top
half glow white -- as if it has an algea bloom. But its just the
1000's of tiny bubbles reflecting the light.

Any suggestions ??

The tank has room for another 10 plants, but boy, what would happen
then...

FYI: the plant pearling the most is the Coffefolia. crazy. I thought
Anubias were slow plants.
Old 12-12-2003, 05:43 AM
Darrel Stonebraker

Hmm

If its a new setup - your getting that from the flourite - and its cycling
yet.

I had the same problem - 125 gal 99% flourite - 1% sandbar for the
corydoras.

turn your intake tward the top of the tank so that stuff is sucked through
your filter, It will soon go away.

Id like to see pics if you have any

Dustin
om...

Old 15-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Keng

Have you tried a surface skimmer. I bought one made by fluval and its
great. It attaches to my intake for the 404 and cleans up the top. I
got this tip from the archives on this forum.

Old 15-12-2003, 06:32 AM
Phil Dietz

"Darrel Stonebraker" wrote in message ...
Hmm

If its a new setup - your getting that from the flourite - and its cycling
yet.

I think you are probably right.

I did another water change (esp. cleaning the gravel)
and ever since -- the foam has been non-existantant.

My PH has gone back up a bit (from 6.8 to 7.0).

That flourite-foam film on the surface must have been the trapping CO2
better -- causing the pearling to turn onto overdrive.
Old 15-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Darrel Stonebraker

Does your surface skimmer make alot of noise? like a sucking noise?

I seen one of those at my LFS just the other day, but assumed it would be
like an overflow and be noisy.

Thanks

Dustin
om...

Old 15-12-2003, 06:42 AM
Keng

Old 15-12-2003, 07:02 AM
Keng

Old 16-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Keng

No noise whatsoever...
Old 17-12-2003, 03:33 AM
Keng

Actually, the surface skimmer came with a couple of adaptors which I
am sure will fit the intake tube you have. On mine, it actually
replaced the whole tube and the plastic 'grill" at the end. Not sure
if this makes any sense, but the skimmer attaches right to the ribbed
tubing for my filter.

You might want to check out your local pet store to see if they have
one and then try to see if the dimensions will work for you before you
drill any holes. Seems like a whole lot of work and retrofitting for
under $20.

Foam on the water - goldfish spawning Phyllis and Jim Ponds (moderated) 2 02-05-2007 06:12 AM
Foam on the water Bill Kerrell Ponds 19 27-10-2004 07:39 PM
Using Foam to seal between rocks in a water fall Mickey Ponds 7 28-04-2004 03:04 AM