Old 21-10-2004, 01:24 AM
Bill Kerrell

Default Foam on the water

My pond is forming light foam where the water flows back into the pond from
the water fall ..?? It seems I read from one of our group about the water
condition that causes this .. Can someone help ??
The PH is 7.3.
Thanks,
Bill,
Pensacola, FL

Old 21-10-2004, 04:16 AM
Snooze

"Bill Kerrell" wrote in message
My pond is forming light foam where the water flows back into the pond

from
the water fall ..?? It seems I read from one of our group about the water
condition that causes this .. Can someone help ??

You have dissolved organic compounds in the water. Here is the answer from
the FAQ.

29: Why is there foam at the base of my waterfall?

Top Foam in the pond is rarely caused by soap as many containing dissolved
organic compounds (DOC). DOC may be caused by fish wastes or by decaying
plant matter. First clean the bottom of
the pond and ensure that there is no decaying leaf mold. If you have
eliminated the source, no more foam should appear. If the source of the DOC
is your fish, you can remove it with activated carbon (sources claim from
one to eight pounds of carbon in the the filter (or in the base of the
waterfall). Put the carbon in a pantyhose leg so that you can easily remove
it later. It should be removed once the foam disappears.

Old 21-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Steve Ball

"Bill Kerrell" wrote in message
My pond is forming light foam where the water flows back into the pond
from the water fall ..?? It seems I read from one of our group about the
water condition that causes this .. Can someone help ??
The PH is 7.3.

Hi Bill,

This should answer your question
http://www.koimag.co.uk/featureRead~ID~2049.asp

I've just added a Febi Turbocleaner to my pond as I had exactly the same
problem. This seems to have sorted the issue out!

Steve

Old 21-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Derek Broughton

Snooze wrote:

[...]

One more thing - if you don't have much foam, simply scooping it out as it
appears solves the problem. Most of your DOCs are ending up in the
bubbles, so are simply removed. This is the basic principle of the protein
skimmer used in practically all reef aquaria.
--
derek

Old 21-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Cam

Am I the only one who has had Deep Purple playing in my head since this
was posted?

Cam

Old 21-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Cam

Old 21-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Cam

Old 21-10-2004, 08:57 PM
2pods

Nope.
I was going to reply
"dum dum dum, dum dum de dum, dum dum dum, dum dum"
but didn't think anyone would get it ;-)

Peter

oups.com...

Old 21-10-2004, 11:23 PM
melissa

and where's the guy who had the fire in his pond?

.....foam on the water.. and fire in the pond....

once again, i could not resist.

Old 22-10-2004, 12:18 AM
2pods

"melissa" wrote in message
and where's the guy who had the fire in his pond?

....foam on the water.. and fire in the pond....

once again, i could not resist.

Which ties up nicely with "...the Lake Geneva shoreline..."

Peter