Old 07-01-2004, 03:44 PM
LeighMo

Default (almost) free plants

Continental U.S. only, you play shipping (priority mail). Paypal only, because
I want to mail them out this Saturday. Tanks are choked, because I was in
Hawaii for two weeks, visiting the 'rents for the holidays. I trimmed the
tanks back almost bald before I left, but still, the fish can hardly move now.
:-P

They are mostly fast-growing stem plants best suited for a tank with at least 2
wpg. Hygrophila, Limnophila, water sprite, hornwort, and lots more. Great for
someone who's starting out a new tank using Chuck's method
(http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_newtank.htm).

E-mail me privately if interested (mind the spamguard).

(And Bob, if you're still interested, let me know. I'd have e-mailed you, but
I lost your addy in a filing cabinet crash.)

Leigh

Old 09-01-2004, 04:13 AM
-=Almazick=-

I might buy the plants from you but I sure need your advice again. I don't
know what to do now but I'm thinking to start from a scratch. Can you
please ID my algae. It looks like Hair or Brush Red Aglae. When it is
almost dead it turns to red color and dissappears.
http://s93457593.onlinehome.us/Algae.htm If I start from a scratch what is
the chance I will get that algae again? It takes over my plants and slowly
kills them one by one. How can I remove nitrates besides water change to
keep it under 10ppm? I started adding Algae destroyer (very very small
dosage) but it doesn't help.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:02 AM
LeighMo

I might buy the plants from you but I sure need your advice again. I don't
know what to do now but I'm thinking to start from a scratch. Can you
please ID my algae. It looks like Hair or Brush Red Aglae.

Yup, that's what it is. I had that algae briefly, when I first set up my first
real planted tank.

How can I remove nitrates besides water change to
keep it under 10ppm?

If your plants grow well, they will remove nitrate. In fact, you may have to
add nitrate to your tank.

Have you seen Chuck's article on algae?

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_algae.htm

He claims that a common cause of this problem is not enough nitrate! I think
that was why I had it. I put compact flourescent lights over my tank and a ton
of plants in it, and nitrates dropped to zero in days. Probably for the first
time in years. Being new at the time, I had no idea that could be a problem.

Try searching this newsgroup (at Google) on BBA, and you'll find a lot of
discussion on it. Pay no attention to those calling it Satanic. g It's
algae, uglier and tougher than most, but still just algae. SAEs eat it, which
is why planted tank folk like them so much. I think they prefer the tender new
growth, though, rather than the tough old stuff, so if your tank is heavily
infested, pruning leaves that are covered with algae will help, even if you
have SAEs.

I wouldn't start over. You need to learn to keep the tank in balance, or
you'll just the have same problem, with this or some other algae. You can cut
off infested leaves, which will help your tank look better right away. To fix
the problem in the long term, consider getting some true SAEs if you don't have
any, and adjust your nutrients. And if you got rid of a lot of stem plants,
well, maybe you got rid of too many, and need to add some back. :-)

I don't restrict nutrients to try to control algae. Not even phosphate. I
have a ton of phosphate in my tap water (40 ppm!). It hasn't caused algae
problems for me. As long as I don't let nitrate drop to zero in my tanks, I
don't have any algae problems.

Leigh

Old 09-01-2004, 07:10 AM
-=Almazick=-

My plants grow fast and to keep low nitrates is very hard. Nitrates always
stay 20-40ppm. I tried almost everything but nothing helps. I just can't
find the cause of the problem. By the way which one is it? Brush-Red or
Hair algae? What would you do in my shoes besides buying a true SAE. I
know how to balance the tank but nothing works I suspect the gravel is
bad. Algae keeps infecting my plants because of gravel. I believe, once I
start over I will destroy current algae so it won't grow back. I'm just a
little bit confused now because to start over will take me about a month to
do a cycle and cleaning everything in 70G tank. The funny thing is I tried
a few experiments by putting some plants in dark place for two weeks in a
bowl of water but algae isn't afraid of dark My lights stay up for 10
hours a day, I feed once a day, I do water change once a week about 20%,
etc. About 2 month ago I cut all my infected plants and everything was
perfect and a little later it started again.

Old 09-01-2004, 05:11 PM
N. Wise

[...]

You can start over all you want. You are still going to have algae problems.
Only when you listen to people on this newsgroup and start getting your
nutrients in balance are you going to have a tank that controls algae.

If your nitrates are not zero, then there is something else. What are the
measurements of your phosphate, iron and CO2 levels? Are you dosing potassium?
how much?

How do you think your gravel is causing algae? Gravel has nothing to do with
nutrients except in its role as a home for denitrifying bacteria.

N. Wise
http://members.aol.com/nwwise01/
Old 09-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Luca Brazi

"LeighMo" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately, the *only* thing I had luck with in beating this algae
is SAEs--once it was established, I couldn't eradicate it by tweaking
nutrients or manual removal. While the SAEs were working (quickly I
might add), I used a UV unit in the assumption it would kill floating
spores and limit the spread. Whether it did or not isn't clear to me,
but it's something that might help.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:01 PM
-=Almazick=-

My nitrate level is around 20-40ppm, Co2 around 15ppm and I have no idea
about phosphate, potassium and iron level but I do add a little of bit
everything by using Seachem products and Leaf Zone. I can see a little bit
of brush algae on the top of my gravel and I assume it infects all my
plants. From what I read brush algae will grow as long as it is in the tank
and there is no way to kill it unless you get rid of it first to make sure
there are no algae pores in the tank and then as long as you balance the
tank you won't get brush algae again.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:05 PM
Empty

"-=Almazick=-" wrote in

My plants grow fast and to keep low nitrates is very hard. Nitrates
always stay 20-40ppm. I tried almost everything but nothing helps.

Have you tested the nitrates in your tapwater?

~Empty

--
'You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it
kills you both. You'll fight, and you'll shag, and you'll hate each other