Old 08-01-2004, 04:09 PM
jap3

Default Suggestions for light requested

I have a 55 gallon 48" long, 18" high (or deep) tank that is lightly
planted with amazon swords. Currently I have about 40 watts of light
which i know is way under rated. I'd like to start DIY co2 or maybe go
to a pressureized system. I would first like to get a decent light and
have been eyeing the ones up at AH supply for quite sometime. I'd also
like to build a DIY enclosure and have a few plans for that.

My question is what is the groups feeling on the wattage or combination
of lights that i should go for? Money is not an option as I've been
saving for quite sometime. Should I do the 2X96 or is that too much
light? Or should I go with even more with a 4 X55?

I'm open to suggestions and thank you for your anticipated responses.

John

Old 08-01-2004, 08:02 PM
RedForeman ©®

2x55w would put you right at the 2wpg threshold, which is a great starting
point for anyone..

--

RedForeman ©®

.. .

Old 09-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Buzzard Face

"jap3" wrote in message
.. .
I have a 55 gallon 48" long, 18" high (or deep) tank that is lightly
planted with amazon swords. Currently I have about 40 watts of light
which i know is way under rated. I'd like to start DIY co2 or maybe go
to a pressureized system. I would first like to get a decent light and
have been eyeing the ones up at AH supply for quite sometime. I'd also
like to build a DIY enclosure and have a few plans for that.

My question is what is the groups feeling on the wattage or combination
of lights that i should go for? Money is not an option as I've been
saving for quite sometime. Should I do the 2X96 or is that too much
light? Or should I go with even more with a 4 X55?

I'm open to suggestions and thank you for your anticipated responses.

John

--

If have a 140gal oceanic tank. I run four (4) 96 watt CF. Each has its own
ballast and switch which allows me to change the amount of lighting as need.

Should you decide to go with 96 watt tubes, which is ok, stagger the tubes
close to the sides so you get the better coverage. What I mean is the rear
tube positions to cover more of the right side of the tank, the front tube
more to the left.

Buzz