Old 28-08-2010, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting suggestions requested please

HI,

I know its all down to personal preferences but I'm canvassing suggestions
for planting a largish 'border' area to the side of the patio.

Its roughly 7.0m deep x 5m wide. Its backed by a 2m wall/fence panels and
faces ESE so gets the sun most of the day. The plot was formerly the home
to a large number of leylandii type shrubs including 2 very large trees
that were taken down (Christmas tree and another conifer) We are about
800' asl and get very cold winters here in the north of England.

The whole area has now been membraned and barked and we are looking to
replant it with probably 15 evergreen shrubs and to try and get a mix that
gives as long a flowering season as possible. We would also like to have
something that will grow to cover the fencing at the back and to then tail
the heights down to the front of the border. We have a good number of the
yellow flowering mahonia elsewhere in the garden (which do very well) but
do not want any more. Our rabbit problem is pretty much confined to the
front garden so the plants do not need to be 'rabbit-proof' (if such a
thinkg exists).

A number of large stones will be used as additional 'decoration'.

So, panel, what would your suggestions for plants be please, what height
will they grow to, what spread would they have and what would be their
flowering season?

All suggestions will be gratefully received and considered and I'll post
back what we eventually decide upon in due course

--
David