Old 02-05-2003, 03:56 PM
SugarChile

Default Suggestions requested for problem area

It sounds like a lovely spot for any of the aromatic type herbs--thymes,
lavenders, sages, artemesias and such. These plants would love the full
sun, the reflected warmth from the rock wall, and the sandy, well draining
soil. You might even be able to grow things normally a bit too tender for
your zone, as it is frequently soggy root conditions rather than low
temperatures that kill these plants over the winter.

Tulips and daffodils should do fine, as would chinodoxa and squilll and
dwarf bulbous irises. These bulbs like to have a bit of dry baking
conditions after the foliage has died back.

Make sure you *really* want the ivy, as once you plant it, and it takes off,
you will never be rid of it. This newsgroup constantly has threads on
people trying to rid themselves of it. Something like vinca would cover
less vigorously, and still let the bulbs grow through it.

Sounds like a lovely spot--I'm envious!

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Annaid" wrote in message
I live in a Zone 5a location in New Hampshire. I have an original stone
wall which lines the front of the yard. The stone wall is located about

3-4
feet off of the road. The wall is located about 1/2 way down a steep
embankment. This area tends to trap all the sand which is spread onto the
road during the winter. Through the years, there is a lot of sand

build-up.
I would not be surprised if the sand has never been cleared away from the
wall in the past 15 years since this home was built (we have lived her for
the past two years).

My intention is to start removing as much of the sand as possible before
starting to garden along the front of the wall. I also intend to rebuild
the stone wall which I believe stones were borrowed from when building the
house. The side facing the road is a very sunny location with only
occasional dappled shade in the late afternoon.

My question is...

...Does anyone have recommendation as to low growing plants which may do
well in this sandy sunny location. I only intend to plant right alongside
the rock wall since road improvement vehicles would probably make anything
more aggressive futile. If I bring in some good soil will that help the
area? Each year, more sand will eventually build up...this is inevitable.
The town uses little to no salt in the winter...big plus. I have access

as much English ivy as I want. I was thinking of planting ivy to grow

along
the front of the wall and let it trail up over the wall. I am intending

plant other plants and bushes on the inside of the rock wall.

Anyone have other suggestions? Are there other 'vining' type plants which
would do well in a sunny and sandy location? How about bulbs to brighten

up
the area in the spring? Will tulips and daffodils survive the soil
conditions?

I thank you for any help
D~

Old 04-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Annaid

Oooh, I didn't think about vinca. I had an area at my old home and loved
that it was green all winter. Do you think it will do well with the road
sand being washed onto it every spring?

Thank you for your other suggestions and thoughts. It is most helpful!

D~

rthlink.net...

Old 04-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Annaid

Email sent

Thanks!

D~

"llama mama" wrote in message
. ..
"Annaid" wrote in
:

I live in a Zone 5a location in New Hampshire. I have an original
stone wall which lines the front of the yard. The stone wall is
located about 3-4 feet off of the road.

come on over & get some daylillies. i need to thin mine & they'll do
fine along your wall... plus they're *free* & the kids can play with the
llamas oh, i have some daffodils to spare too...
email me & i'll give you my number. we're home most of the time.
lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still differentiate
between a time for learning and a time for play without seeing the vital