Old 07-02-2004, 07:40 AM
Dacaprice

Default CO2 problems

Ok.... so far everything I have read about a DIY CO2 setup is very
similar. I opted to by the Nutrafin system... but with the packets
they sold me I was getting nothing. I think the yeast was dead.
Regardless, I re-made my own mixture with yeast and baking soda using
the same measurements that come in the packets. I finally got
bubbles, but they only lasted a couple hours then nothing. I then
removed the Nutrafin canister and used a 1 gallon juice bottle,
increased the amounts of everything and presto... great bubbles. But
again it only lasted a couple hours. What is going on!?!?!? It is
very frustrating. I have soft water here; we have a water softener in
our home. Does that make a difference? Should I try a different
brand of yeast? Right now I am using Red Start Active dry yeast which
was just what was at the local supermarket. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Moontanman

I think the yeast was dead.
Regardless, I re-made my own mixture with yeast and baking soda using
the same measurements that come in the packets. I finally got
bubbles, but they only lasted a couple hours then nothing. I then
removed the Nutrafin canister and used a 1 gallon juice bottle,

Ummm, why would you put baking soda in the yeast culture? Yeast is cultured
with sugar water, the CO2 will be released naturally with out adding anything
else. yeast and sugar water can create quite a bit of CO2 pressure in a few
days that can last for weeks if used correctly in a small tank. larger tanks
need more than one soda bottle to last that long. I use two bottles, a three
liter bottle to culture the yeast in and a two liter bottle to keep track of
the bubbles and to help prevent the yeast from backing up into the tank. No
baking soda should be used at all.

Moon

I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups

Old 07-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Dunter Powries

Moontanman wrote in message
[...]

A pinch of baking soda is supposed to reduce acidity within the reactor.

Old 07-02-2004, 04:33 PM
Djay

Check for leaks. Everywhere there is a connection. I use a soapy water mix
and look for bubbles to show where the system is leaking.

DJay

om...

Old 07-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Ron Hagley

My Nutrafin systems work fine producing bubbles for about 6 weeks.
Are they in a reasonable temperature and higher than the tank level. I found
that if they are lower you can suffer from suckback of tank water into the
canisters.

Ron

"Djay" wrote in message
Check for leaks. Everywhere there is a connection. I use a soapy water

mix
and look for bubbles to show where the system is leaking.

DJay

om...

Old 07-02-2004, 05:42 PM
Bill Kirkpatrick

1) Are you using "fast acting" yeast? Red Star makes both
types. Fast acting types don't survive higher alcohol
levels and are quite, um, "fast". Even so, a couple of
hours seems a little quick, even for fast yeast, unless the
mix is quite warm.

2) If your water is very soft, you may be missing minerals
the yeast needs to grow. Sugar is fine, but it doesn't
build cellular structures. You can buy "yeast nutrient",
but you can also use any generic brand plant fertilizer (the
kind trace elements that you mix with water) to somewhat
better results. Just a pinch, you don't want too much
Ammonia, use the lowest "N" type you can find.

3) The best yeast to use are the high alcohol types used in
beer and wine making. Yeast, of any sort, peaks at about
18%-20% Alcohol. Bread yeast might get to 10%, and fast
acting types can fade away at 6-8%. YMMV, it all depends on
the species. Alcohol production is proportional to CO2.

4) You use/need Baking Soda if you allow air into your mix.
Bacteria convert the Alcohol to Vinegar. What happens
when you mix Vinegar and Baking Soda? Well, more CO2. Not
exactly easy, what with vigorous CO2 production going on,
but you can use an air pump if you have a suitable means for
exchanging the CO2 rich air into your tank. A typical
"CO2 reactor" will not serve here, this requires a
specialized design.

5) Your water may have high Chlorine or Chloramine. Yeast
aren't immune to this stuff any more than any sort of
one-celled organism. Generally, if you add enough yeast you
overcome the bactericide with shear mass. But, maybe try
adding Amquel, processing your water through RO, DI, or
Carbon cartridges, or doubling your yeast dose.

**************************

Old 07-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Moontanman

It also seems... from
what I've read... that since I have soft water, the yeast will not
last more than a week without the baking soda which acts as a
neutralizer. You've never heard of this?

Nope new one on me but I'm willing to learn.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Tony Kissell

"Dacaprice" wrote in message
om...
[...]

When I change my mixture in my 2 Nutrafin systems I get bubbles initially
for only a couple of hours, then about 12 - 24 hrs later the system starts
bubbling again and lasts a couple of weeks.
The Nutrafin instruction state that this might happen.

How long are you leaving the mixture before you decide it isn't working?

Tony

Old 08-02-2004, 12:05 AM
Moontanman

How long are you leaving the mixture before you decide it isn't working?

I don't really worry about activity before at least 24 hours, temps have a real
controling effect on speed of activity.

Old 08-02-2004, 03:51 AM
Aquatic-Store.com

Also check for excessive heat as this will kill the yeast

Kasselmann aquarium plants book 59.99

Marcus

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

Co2 tanks on sale
Power compact bulbs and MH the lowest on the net
Co2 regulator and bubble counter with needle valve $75

do you want a FREE CO2 Regulator or FREE CO2 DIFFUSOR????

Swing on by our webbforum to see how to get one!!

http://aquatic.yupapa.com/phpbb/index.php

http://www.aquarium-plant-store.com

Old 08-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Robert Flory

[...]

The big juice bottles work for me. I get a couple of weeks at a run at the
very least. I just dump a bunch of sugar in (about double a two liter
bottle recipe) add water, shake to mix, add red star or what ever I find on
the shelf and have bubbles in a half hour or so.

I stagger two bottles so optimizing the mix isn't worth the trouble.

bob