Old 18-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Rick Kohrs

Default Pruning hornwort

I wasn't exactly sure how to prune my hornwort when it reached the top
of my tank. So I just lopped off about 8" down and stuck the top back
into the gravel. The top seems to grow nicely, but the trimmed off
seems stunted.

I have now figured out that it is best to cut the side shoots off, but
what do you do when the plants reach the top of the tank?

I'm trying to create a really bushy look in the back of my tank.

Rick
Old 18-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Bruce Abrams

"Rick Kohrs" wrote in message
om...
I wasn't exactly sure how to prune my hornwort when it reached the top
of my tank. So I just lopped off about 8" down and stuck the top back
into the gravel. The top seems to grow nicely, but the trimmed off
seems stunted.

I have now figured out that it is best to cut the side shoots off, but
what do you do when the plants reach the top of the tank?

I'm trying to create a really bushy look in the back of my tank.

Rick

For most bunch plants (ie. hornwort, cobomba, etc.), you're best off
snipping and replanting the tops and side shoots and tossing the bottoms.
They will not grow from the main stem once cut, but they will continue to
develop side shoots which can be snipped and replanted.

Old 19-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Rick Kohrs

So I could grow out the plant beyond the top of the water (bending
over I would imagine) and then cut the top off at the water level.
Then the side shoots will fill in and then prune the side shoots for
the look I'd like.

om...