Old 06-08-2004, 02:40 AM
Ryan

Default Pruning Hornwort?

WARNING newbie questions ahead.

A few of our Hornwort plants have grown tall enough to reach the surface
of our 55G.

-Can I cut them in half and replant them?
-Can I leave them alone, and let them bend over?

Also, what is the correct way to plant plants?
-Is it better to just push them in with your fingers or use a tool like
hemostaphs (sp?)

Thanks

55G, Flourite Substrate, DIY CO2
--
Ryan & Joanna http://users.rcn.com/dloolb/

Old 06-08-2004, 07:50 AM
Happy'Cam'per

MIDPOSTED...

"Ryan" wrote in message
WARNING newbie questions ahead.

Welcome Ryan,
Thats ok, half baked answers to follow

A few of our Hornwort plants have grown tall enough to reach the surface
of our 55G.

-Can I cut them in half and replant them?
-Can I leave them alone, and let them bend over?

You can cut them in half (topping) and replant the tops. Keeping in mind
that the bottom half might fade away after the pruning. Better to just
replant the tops imho.
You can also leave a few of them alone to trail over the water surface, as
long as it does'nt cover too much of the surface it will be ok. Too much
stuff at the surface hinders good gas exchange and also blocks out light to
the plants below.

Also, what is the correct way to plant plants?

How long is a piece of string?
Seriously, remove plants from plastic basket, remove as much of the rockwool
from the roots as you can, roots can be trimmed if too long, remove damaged
leaves and traces of snail eggs, unless you want the snails in the tank.
Plant.

-Is it better to just push them in with your fingers or use a tool like
hemostaphs (sp?)

Well that just depends on how much cash you have I like to use my fingers
personally, I'm into that whole organic shooweewow kind of vibe, like, know
what I'm saying man, far out.
Do whatever you're more comfortable with. HTH
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**