Old 25-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Harry Zonard

Default how old are your fishes?

Just out of interest.

How old is your oldest aquarium inhabitant?

my gripe with encyclopedia is they don't state the potential longevity
of fishes.

I have kept aquaden itaniyyi (Dolphin cichlid) to the ripe old age of
12 and I had to move house ...so gave them away to the local fish shop

I am back in the hobby now , slowly, nothing drastic just 500l of
water encased in glass 3 bronze cat...10 neon tetra and 2 pulchers
(kribs)

the addiction is coming back slowly...

shall I look for help or just let go ?

Old 25-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Eric Schreiber

Harry Zonard wrote:

How old is your oldest aquarium inhabitant?

My oldest fish, a male betta that I bought as an adult (age unknown)
died a couple of days ago. I'd had him for 18 months. Not too bad for a
betta.

my gripe with encyclopedia is they don't state the potential longevity
of fishes.

It's an easy matter to test the water that fish were found in to
determine the kind of water conditions they like. It's a whole 'nother
can of worms to find longevity on all the fish listed. The information
is out there, but mostly you have to hunt it down on hobbyist sites.

Here's one site that I have bookmarked. Just a short list of a few
species.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...Lifespans.html

the addiction is coming back slowly...
shall I look for help or just let go ?

It's useless to resist. Submit to the inevitable. Buy a tank. Then buy
a couple more.

--
www.ericschreiber.com
Old 25-04-2004, 11:21 PM
Dunter Powries

Harry Zonard wrote in message
news

Just out of interest.

How old is your oldest aquarium inhabitant?

my gripe with encyclopedia is they don't state the potential longevity
of fishes.

I have kept aquaden itaniyyi (Dolphin cichlid) to the ripe old age of
12 and I had to move house ...so gave them away to the local fish shop

I am back in the hobby now , slowly, nothing drastic just 500l of
water encased in glass 3 bronze cat...10 neon tetra and 2 pulchers
(kribs)

the addiction is coming back slowly...

shall I look for help or just let go ?

Most barbs and tetras live just about about two years. Larger fish, or fish
which continue to grow over a prolonged period, live many years longer.

Old 26-04-2004, 10:12 AM
david

Most barbs and tetras live just about about two years. Larger fish, or

fish
which continue to grow over a prolonged period, live many years longer.

my pentazone barbs are about 7 years old ? so are the to cory cats! and
some of the cardinal tetras too !

Old 26-04-2004, 09:05 PM
RedForeman ©®

How old is your oldest aquarium inhabitant?

I've got a Midas Cichlid that is 7 or 8 years old...

shall I look for help or just let go ?

Just let go now, it's easier that way... hee heee!!!

--
RedForeman ©® future fabricator and creator of a ratbike
streetfighter!!! ==========================

is that better??

Old 27-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Graham Broadbridge

"Harry Zonard" wrote in message
news

Just out of interest.

How old is your oldest aquarium inhabitant?

I have a kissing gourami that was purchased in 1989. He's still going
strong

Graham.

Old 27-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Harry Zonard

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:07:12 +1000, "Graham Broadbridge"
wrote:

"Harry Zonard" wrote in message
news

Just out of interest.

How old is your oldest aquarium inhabitant?

I have a kissing gourami that was purchased in 1989. He's still going
strong

Graham.

is the gourami still kissing? or did he just lost interest?

Old 28-04-2004, 08:06 AM
Gail Futoran

My oldest fish was a female bronze Cory whose
illness (oldness?) and death at about age 7 caused
me to do a bunch of searching online, find the
aquaria newsgroups, learn more about the hobby
than I had learned in the previous 7 years, and
expand from a 10 gallon to two 10 gallons, a 20
long, a 30 long, a 6 gallon Eclipse, all moderately
to heavily planted with driftwood (vs no wood &
plastic plants in the original tank), plus a 5 gallon
quarantine tank and a 3 gallon hospital tank
(with another 2 gallon Eclipse in reserve).

That'll teach me to let a fish grow old!

What was the question?

Yeah, I know, I need a 55 gal and/or a 75 gal and...
But wait! My husband keeps threatening to
put new carpet in the living room which would
necessitate moving most of the tanks which
would give me an excuse to upgrade. heh

Gail

Old 28-04-2004, 12:06 PM
Graham Broadbridge

"Harry Zonard" wrote in message

is the gourami still kissing? or did he just lost interest?

The other 5 that were purchased at the same time have gone to the big kisser
pond in the sky, the last around 2 years ago. Trying to find another kiss
mate is pretty difficult, King Kisser is just over 8 inches long -- So I
guess he's retired :-)

Graham.

Old 28-04-2004, 08:08 PM
Moontanman

I had a elephantnose that was 7 years old when a bird caught and ate him in his
summer pond. I've had Cardinals live to be more than five years old.

Moon
I breed dwarf crayfish for planted aquariums and grow trees in aquariums.
My groups

Old 28-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Dave Painter

Harry Zonard wrote in message
news

Just out of interest.

How old is your oldest aquarium inhabitant?

OK not really tropical but our local garden centre has a pond in the main
shop,
'Jaws' has lived there for 25 years and is now a regular goldfish
approaching
3 feet from nose to tail!

Dave

Old 29-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Moontanman

OK not really tropical but our local garden centre has a pond in the main
shop,
'Jaws' has lived there for 25 years and is now a regular goldfish
approaching
3 feet from nose to tail!

Dave

If Jaws is a regular goldfish he is a world record. Recently the worlds largest
goldfish was recored at 14.5 inches or so.

Old 29-04-2004, 06:04 AM
NetMax

"Harry Zonard" wrote in message
news

Just out of interest.

How old is your oldest aquarium inhabitant?

my gripe with encyclopedia is they don't state the potential longevity
of fishes.

I have kept aquaden itaniyyi (Dolphin cichlid) to the ripe old age of
12 and I had to move house ...so gave them away to the local fish shop

I am back in the hobby now , slowly, nothing drastic just 500l of
water encased in glass 3 bronze cat...10 neon tetra and 2 pulchers
(kribs)

I think the range is 3 to 7 years for the smaller fishes, and 5 to 15 for
larger fish (with lots of exceptions, like Koi at 50+ years).

the addiction is coming back slowly...

shall I look for help or just let go ?

It's probably too late.
--
http://www.netmax.tk/

Am I going to kill All my Fishes? Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 05:56 AM
I Saw My fishes today!!!!!!!!!! :) MISSYMAGICGIRL Ponds 3 17-03-2003 12:44 AM
Other Fishes?!?!? BenignVanilla Ponds 5 12-03-2003 12:49 AM
Am I going to kill All my Fishes? Aqua Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 22-02-2003 07:00 AM