Old 17-01-2005, 04:28 AM
Elaine T

Nikki Casali wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

Nikki Casali wrote:

Yes, it looks very much like a variant of Labeo variegatus, which is
the one I have:
http://www.thatfishshop.com/findex/f...variegatus.htm

http://www.petresources.net/fish/cyprinid/gyr_aym.html CAE get very
aggressive as they grow, especially towards similarly shaped fish.
They have been rumored to feed on slimecoats of other fish as they
age, thus the angelfish sucking behavior.

If you look at some more pictures of G. aymonieri and that's indeed
what your "harlequin shark" is, I would return it to LFS. It will
never be suitable for a community tank. If they complain, just
leave it anyway - they'll figure out something to do with it. After
all, they gave you the bad advice in the first place.

Believe it or not, they had an offer the day I bought it. Buy 2 for
£28! Fortunately, I just bought the one.

Wow. I've never even seen L. variegatus for sale over here. I'll
know not to buy one! Maybe your LFS will take it back if it's rare in
the UK.

I discovered, after speaking to an assistant at a LFS, that there is a
ban on them being sold now. He presumed it was to do with the rarity in
their natural habitat.

Do you know the mechanism SAE use to prise away BBA? I still can't
believe that anything could have the equipment to get rid of this stuff!

The fish seem to eat the soft, fuzzy strands. They don't actually
scrape the algae off of things so you'll still see some dark spotting.
I had to scrub my the remainder of the algae off of my heater and
filter intakes when I had an infested tank. However, new plant growth
comes in virtually algae free since they eat the tender new algae as
soon as it starts to get a foothold. Your plants will gradually shed
the infested leaves and start to look green again.

Oh - and if you try SAE, feed the tank as lightly as you can. SAE eat
all sorts of fish foods, and won't eat algae as diligently if they've
stuffed themselves on flakes.

I'm taking time off work to get 3 SAE tomorrow. 3 enough in a 330 litre
tank? The algae eaters I already have are 7 Ancistrus and 2 Otocinclus.

Nikki

Personally, I'd get three if they're decent sized or four if they're
tiny. You want to get your ruby shark good and confused about the
pecking order. js has a very good point about being very careful that
you buy C. siamensis and not any of the closely related species. I
always look for the black stripe to go all the way through the tailfin,
all other fins clear, and the absence of a golden stripe just above the
black. There should be only the tan/brown color of the back of the fish
all the way down the side until the start of the black stripe.

Good luck!

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 17-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Nikki Casali

On 2005-01-17, Nikki Casali wrote:

I'm taking time off work to get 3 SAE tomorrow. 3 enough in a 330 litre
tank? The algae eaters I already have are 7 Ancistrus and 2 Otocinclus.

Just make sure you get a true siamensis.

http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

I got three at my LFS. They're still in the plastic bag. I'm not 100%
sure they are true siamensis. They have a light band above the dark
band. They only have one pair of barbels though. There is a lot of
conflicting information on the Internet.

http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00001.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00002.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00003.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00004.JPG

Can anyone give me a definite true or false? I'm taking them back if
they're false!

Nikki

Old 17-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Nikki Casali

On 2005-01-17, Nikki Casali wrote:

I'm taking time off work to get 3 SAE tomorrow. 3 enough in a 330
litre tank? The algae eaters I already have are 7 Ancistrus and 2
Otocinclus.

Just make sure you get a true siamensis.
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

I got three at my LFS. They're still in the plastic bag. I'm not 100%
sure they are true siamensis. They have a light band above the dark
band. They only have one pair of barbels though. There is a lot of
conflicting information on the Internet.

http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00001.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00002.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00003.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00004.JPG

Can anyone give me a definite true or false? I'm taking them back if
they're false!

Too late! Have to put them into the tank now. I'll never catch them if I
find that they are false.

Nikki

Old 17-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Elaine T

On 2005-01-17, Nikki Casali wrote:

I'm taking time off work to get 3 SAE tomorrow. 3 enough in a 330
litre tank? The algae eaters I already have are 7 Ancistrus and 2
Otocinclus.

Just make sure you get a true siamensis.
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

I got three at my LFS. They're still in the plastic bag. I'm not 100%
sure they are true siamensis. They have a light band above the dark
band. They only have one pair of barbels though. There is a lot of
conflicting information on the Internet.

http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00001.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00002.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00003.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00004.JPG

Can anyone give me a definite true or false? I'm taking them back if
they're false!

Nikki

That's the fish. The stripe runs through the caudal fin, the fins are
almost clear, and there no clearly defined gold stripe above the dark
stripe. I think the lighter color above the dark stripe is a trick of
your flash because it's missing in pics 1 and on the back fish in 2. My
C. siamensis looks that way if the light hits him just right. As for
barbels, they really keep them tucked in.

Any other SAE keepers able to doublecheck my ID? The sure look like C.
siamensis to me.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 17-01-2005, 09:22 PM
Richard

I got three at my LFS. They're still in the plastic bag. I'm not 100%
sure they are true siamensis. They have a light band above the dark
band. They only have one pair of barbels though. There is a lot of
conflicting information on the Internet.

http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00001.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00002.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00003.JPG
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/DSC00004.JPG

Can anyone give me a definite true or false? I'm taking them back if
they're false!

I go by the tail. solid band of black is Flying Fox. Clear tail is
Thai Algae Eater (or vice versa). Half a black band is SAE. They look
right to me.

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org

Old 18-01-2005, 05:30 AM
js1

On 2005-01-17, Nikki Casali wrote:

Too late! Have to put them into the tank now. I'll never catch them if I
find that they are false.

Yeah, they're fast little SOBs.

Old 18-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Nikki Casali

On 2005-01-17, Nikki Casali wrote:

Too late! Have to put them into the tank now. I'll never catch them if I
find that they are false.

Yeah, they're fast little SOBs.

They're shy too! I thought that they had been absorbed out of existence
into the aquarium ether, until I saw one or two popping their head from
underneath the plant growth.

Look, over there, a leaf smothered in algae. Your favorite
food!.......what?? Because I said so! Now get to work you deadbeats!

Nikki

Old 18-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Tony Volk

They look just fine to me too (I have 4 small SAE and one larger Flying
Fox). Cheers,

Tony

Old 18-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Elaine T

On 2005-01-17, Nikki Casali wrote:

Too late! Have to put them into the tank now. I'll never catch them
if I find that they are false.

Yeah, they're fast little SOBs.

They're shy too! I thought that they had been absorbed out of existence
into the aquarium ether, until I saw one or two popping their head from
underneath the plant growth.

Look, over there, a leaf smothered in algae. Your favorite
food!.......what?? Because I said so! Now get to work you deadbeats!

Nikki

They may be shy because of that ruby shark. Is there much chasing going on?

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 18-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Nikki Casali

Elaine T wrote:

On 2005-01-17, Nikki Casali wrote:

Too late! Have to put them into the tank now. I'll never catch them
if I find that they are false.

Yeah, they're fast little SOBs.

They're shy too! I thought that they had been absorbed out of
existence into the aquarium ether, until I saw one or two popping
their head from underneath the plant growth.

Look, over there, a leaf smothered in algae. Your favorite
food!.......what?? Because I said so! Now get to work you deadbeats!

Nikki

They may be shy because of that ruby shark. Is there much chasing going
on?

The Ruby Shark appears oblivious to the SAE. Of course, there may be
some subtle communication I'm missing. The SAE are keeping to themselves
at the moment behind some driftwood.

Nikki

Old 19-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Nikki Casali

Elaine T wrote:

On 2005-01-17, Nikki Casali wrote:

Too late! Have to put them into the tank now. I'll never catch them
if I find that they are false.

Yeah, they're fast little SOBs.

They're shy too! I thought that they had been absorbed out of
existence into the aquarium ether, until I saw one or two popping
their head from underneath the plant growth.

Look, over there, a leaf smothered in algae. Your favorite
food!.......what?? Because I said so! Now get to work you deadbeats!

Nikki

They may be shy because of that ruby shark. Is there much chasing going
on?

The SAE are pottering around doing much about nothing at the moment. I
don't think they understand algae yet. They're buddies though!

Here is the pottering threesome:
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/SAE1.jpg
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/SAE2.jpg

Nikki

Old 19-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Elaine T

Nikki Casali wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

On 2005-01-17, Nikki Casali wrote:

Too late! Have to put them into the tank now. I'll never catch them
if I find that they are false.

Yeah, they're fast little SOBs.

They're shy too! I thought that they had been absorbed out of
existence into the aquarium ether, until I saw one or two popping
their head from underneath the plant growth.

Look, over there, a leaf smothered in algae. Your favorite
food!.......what?? Because I said so! Now get to work you deadbeats!

Nikki

They may be shy because of that ruby shark. Is there much chasing
going on?

The SAE are pottering around doing much about nothing at the moment. I
don't think they understand algae yet. They're buddies though!

Here is the pottering threesome:
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/SAE1.jpg
http://www.ncasali.demon.co.uk/SAE2.jpg

Nikki

Nice pics! I'm so glad the ruby shark hasn't terrorized them. They'll
figure out the algae thing when they settle in and start to get hungry.
They're slender fish, so they won't clean a tank overnight like a pleco.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 03-02-2005, 01:19 AM
Nikki Casali

Elaine T wrote:

Nice pics! I'm so glad the ruby shark hasn't terrorized them. They'll
figure out the algae thing when they settle in and start to get hungry.
They're slender fish, so they won't clean a tank overnight like a pleco.

Well, they worked. They have cleared 95% of the BBA. The 5% left is very
short stubbly growth on the leaf surfaces of my Saururus cernuus. They
target the BBA very specifically. It's around the leaf edges and stems
that the SAE spend most of their time. They've certainly evolved into a
niche exclusive to themselves.

The ruby shark does give chase to the larger SAE, but gets bored within
seconds. It's very passive, or extremely sophisticated and has learnt
what it is like to be bullied..

The SAE seem to spend most of their time as a threesome, together
grazing algae. They're certainly more gregarious than my mollies. At the
start, the two smallest SAE spent a whole day chasing the other one's
tail, à la flying foxes. Their dark bands became greyed out or broken up
as if stressed out. I'm not sure what they were trying to prove, but
that's behind them now.

Hey, they also like to graze on the green fuzz algae that grows on the
glass surfaces. No other fish touch this. If I look very closely I can
see them clearing a path through the fuzz. They're very funny to watch
with their vibrating mouths! I think they go at something like 10 Hz? LOL!

Nikki

Old 03-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Elaine T

Nikki Casali wrote:

Elaine T wrote:

[...]

Cool! That's great news. I'm so glad they settled into the tank. I've
liked SAE since I found my first real ones many years ago - they're
gentle enough to be tankmates for just about anything, yet lively and
always cruising and grazing. I'm not at all surprised that they're
after the green fuzz. They seem to like BBA first, and other soft green
algaes second. Heh, plus any other sort of fish food that lands in the
tank.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__

Old 04-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Ozdude

"Elaine T" wrote in message
.. .
Cool! That's great news. I'm so glad they settled into the tank. I've
liked SAE since I found my first real ones many years ago - they're gentle
enough to be tankmates for just about anything, yet lively and always
cruising and grazing. I'm not at all surprised that they're after the
green fuzz. They seem to like BBA first, and other soft green algaes
second. Heh, plus any other sort of fish food that lands in the tank.

My SAEs love to swim in the shoal with the Hockey Tetras. They are also
direct feeders I noticed today, they swim up to near the tank top and eat
flake food directly, which I find a bit strange, since they spend a lot of
time (when they settle) grazing on that brown shite that has taken hold on
many things in the tank. They do a better job on the plants than the Mystery
Snail too, as far as cleaning plant leaves of diatom deposits.

I am starting to wonder if I have enough light actually. I calculated it to
be 1.24WpG; I do get streaming pearling, bubble pearling about 4 or 5 hours
after the lights come on, and my CO2 is about 15ppm going off my pH (6.8)
and KH (5dKH/98.5ppm) readings.

I just started a daily fertilizer routine, but I am wondering if fertilizing
only in the water column is going to be enough. The Blue Stricta's prolific
new growth seems to be more yellow than it's older leaves, and the Asian
Ambula gets light green new tips which upon maturation seem to turn a rusty
brown colour (seems to be diatom city on this plant).

I gently "scrub" a lot of the leaves on my broad leaved plants with a very
soft toothbrush, when doing water or filter media changes or maintinence
because if I don't they all end up covered in brown stuff. It's really
annoying and I was hoping the little SAEs would help me with this task (as
they do, but there's only two of them and they are small atm).

Any way I am still patiently waiting for the chemistry to settle in this
relatively new tank, and I was wondering if fertilizing at this stage is the
wisest thing to do? For the record, I am dosing 1/2 the recommended amount
of liquid fertilizer, to make sure I don't upset any more of the chemical
balance in the tank, or heaven forbid a green algae outbreak on top of the
brown stuff. The fertilizer I am using has no phosphate or nitrate according
to the label.

I don't want any of my fish to die either from chemical imbalance, but I
would like big dark green leaves on my plants, lots of pearling and two
healthy and robust SAE's at least 3" long

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith

--